Scottish roundup: Nadir Ciftci's late goal caps Dundee United's comeback

• Partick record back-to-back home wins at home
• Callum Gallagher scores on his Rangers debut

Nadir Ciftci's injury-time goal helped Dundee United make a remarkable second-half comeback to record a 3-2 victory over St Mirren at Tannadice.

Paul McGowan finished in some style to give the visitors the lead and Steven Thompson extended their advantage when he scored the second goal five minutes before half-time. With the game appearing to have been settled, Brian Graham pulled a goal back with 11 minutes remaining, despite claims of offside.

Second-half substitute Stuart Armstrong found the top corner of the net with a composed finish past Marián Kello to restore parity for the home side, before Ciftci's winning goal brought delight to the home support.

Partick Thistle aided their hopes of retaining Scottish Premiership status by sealing their second home win of the season with a 3-1 victory over Hibernian.

Kallum Higginbotham was pivotal to the move that brought about the opening goal, skipping past a couple of attempted tackles before playing a pass to Lyle Taylor in the inside-right channel. His cut-back was left by Kris Doolan for Chris Erskine, who took a touch before striking a left-foot shot past Ben Williams into the roof of the net. Taylor was fouled wide on the Thistle left and Higginbotham's inswinging delivery was glanced into the corner of the net by Lee Mair after 59 minutes. Duncan Watmore pulled a goal back for Hibs after 62 minutes, but man of the match Higginbotham scored Thistle's third goal in stoppage time.

Any notion Thistle had that the game was over was swiftly put to bed, though, as Hibs hit back three minutes later. Sam Stanton did well down the left before cutting the ball back to Watmore. He held off a challenge before curling a low effort past Paul Gallacher to bring his side back into the match.

A series of Hibs corners in the last 10 minutes tested Thistle's resolve, but Higginbotham broke clear in added time and kept his composure to side-step Michael Nelson and Williams before finishing low into the corner.

Callum Gallagher marked his debut with a goal as Rangers, already confirmed as the Scottish League One champions, warmed up for their Scottish Cup replay against Albion Rovers with a 2-0 win over their nearest league rivals Dunfermline. Steven Smith claimed the second goal of his career, the other also coming against the Pars in 2006, before Gallagher came off the bench to seal the points with a last-minute strike.

comments powered by Disqus