Richie Foran's two goals inspire Inverness to beat Dundee United 4-0

• St Johnstone beat a defensively dire Dundee
• St Mirren boss Danny Lennon 'drained' after 5-4 win

Richie Foran's two goals helped Inverness defeat Dundee United 4-0 and secure their first win of the Scottish Premier League season.

The Irishman curled in the opener in the 31st minute and scored a close-range header four minutes later. Andrew Shinnie increased the lead on 70 minutes when he bundled the ball over the line and a stunning strike from the teenager Philip Roberts rounded off the victory two minutes later.

Danny Lennon admitted that he was emotionally drained following St Mirren's 5-4 victory over Ross County. Steven Thompson produced a spectacular overhead kick in the final minute to earn three points for the Paisley side. Iain Vigurs opened the scoring for County after 10 minutes and despite Thompson's leveller on 39 minutes, Grant Munro restored the visitors' lead on the stroke of half-time.

Three St Mirren goals in the space of 10 second-half minutes turned the game in the favour of the home side. Lewis Guy equalised from the penalty spot, Sam Parkin beat Michael Fraser to score the third and Kenny McLean drilled a low shot from outside the penalty area into the bottom right corner.

County battled back to parity, with Rocco Quinn scoring with 10 minutes remaining and striking again 90 seconds later to level the game at 4-4, before Thompson struck.

St Johnstone secured their third league victory in a row, 3-1, to leave their Tayside rivals Dundee deflated at the foot of the SPL.

Steve Lomas's side are unbeaten in five games after an indifferent start to the season and were far too strong for a disjointed Dundee at Dens Park. First-half goals from Gregory Tadé and Liam Craig, plus Steven MacLean's second-half effort, meant Ryan Conroy's goal, which briefly brought the teams level, meant little.

Cillian Sheridan scored a hat-trick for Kilmarnock as they won 3-1 at as John McGlynn lamented the "same old story" as his Hearts. Marius Zaliukas's late headed consolation was all the home side could muster in response.

Gavin Rae's second-half goal gave Aberdeen their first home win in the SPL this season, a 2-1 victory over Hibernian. Niall McGinn put Aberdeen ahead with four minutes gone before a stunning equaliser from Eoin Doyle after 33 minutes ensured the sides went in level at the break in a half in which both sides struggled to cope with the swirling wind. The winner arrived after 70 minutes when the substitute Josh Magennis cut the ball back for the midfielder Gavin Rae to net from close range. Rangers won 1-0 at Forres Mechanics to progress to the third round of the Scottish Cup. Kai Naismith scored his first senior goal for the club and the only goal of the game at Mosset Park. Nathan Sharp was sent off for the home team.

comments powered by Disqus