• Ferguson failed to attend post-Real Madrid press conference
• Manager and Nani to learn Uefa judgment on Thursday
Sir Alex Ferguson could receive a touchline ban from Uefa for failing to attend the post-match press conference after Manchester United were knocked out of the Champions League by Real Madrid earlier this month.
The winger Nani will also discover if his automatic one-match suspension for being sent off in the 2-1 defeat is to be increased when both cases are heard on Thursday.
In Ferguson's case the sanctions available to Uefa's Control and Disciplinary Body range from a caution, financial penalty or a ban of one-match or more. A Uefa spokesperson said: "It can be a warning, a fine or not being allowed on the bench. We will have to wait and see."
Given that Ferguson has been in charge for more than 200 matches in the Champions League and has never before missed a post-match briefing, it is hoped that he will avoid a touchline ban.
Under Uefa procedures, United have been asked for their observations regarding both the case involving Ferguson and Nani. These had to be filed by 12 March.
Mike Phelan, the assistant manager, said at the time that Ferguson was too "distraught" to attend the press conference due to the decision of Cuneyt Cakir, the referee, to issue the red card to Nani. Following this, Madrid scored both of their goals on the night to go through to the quarter-finals, 3-2 on aggregate.