Bafétimbi Gomis is inching closer to becoming a Newcastle United player, with the Tyneside club hoping to confirm the striker known as Baby Drogba as their first senior signing of the summer by Monday morning.

Jean-Michel Aulas, the Lyon president, said that a fee, thought to be £7m potentially rising to £8.7m should assorted add-ons be triggered, had been agreed with Newcastle for Gomis. Now the only apparent remaining stumbling block is a stand off over agents' fees. "We accepted Newcastle's proposal," Aulas said. "The agreement is now linked to the acceptance of agents' fees. I understand that the problem is in the amount and manner of payment of commissions.

"There are several people involved in the operation, which complicates the negotiations. But I am hopeful that things will be resolved within 24 or 48 hours."

Gomis, meanwhile, is said to be extremely enthusiastic about the prospect of swelling Alan Pardew's already sizeable French and Francophone contingent at St James' Park, where he already has friends in the dressing room. His personal terms are understood to have been already agreed in principle and are unlikely to present any problems.

The France forward, who turns 28 on Tuesday, scored 16 times for Lyon in Ligue 1 last season. Aware he was also coveted by Marseille and Fulham, Lyon initially held out for a basic fee of £8.6m but, with only one year left on Gomis's contract their bargaining hand was weakened.

While Newcastle knew his value would depreciate appreciably as the months passed, the French club did not want to risk losing him for nothing once he became a free agent next summer. Although Newcastle claimed to have walked away from negotiations last Monday, their bid remained on the table and on Friday a few tweaks to that offer ensured a tipping point was reached. Now the only barrier to Gomis joining Pardew's squad appears to be the on-going haggling between assorted middle men and agents involved in the deal.

Should it be concluded successfully it will ease the mounting pressure on Joe Kinnear in the wake of a seemingly disastrous meeting between Newcastle's new director of football and Darren Bent and his representatives last Wednesday. Although Bent, a striker Aston Villa are anxious to off-load, had earlier expressed considerable enthusiasm for playing for Pardew, his old manager at Charlton, he was left unimpressed by Kinnear's proposal and now looks set to join Fulham.

While Pardew, who had intended to play Bent in a deep lying No10 role, would be delighted to secure Gomis – a striker he had originally expected to arrive on Tyneside last weekend – he is desperate for Kinnear to sign a second striker this summer, thereby easing the load on Papiss Cissé, Newcastle's No9. With Bent apparently out of the equation, the Tynesiders have expressed interest in acquiring Loïc Rémy from QPR on a season-long loan. While that prospect seemed to recede on Thursday when Harry Redknapp said he intended to sell the forward for an £8m asking price by Friday QPR's manager was conceding that Rémy could, after all, be loaned out in exchange for £2m plus his £70,000 a week wages.

That, though, could still be too steep for Kinnear and company. Particularly as the player – signed from Marseille by Redknapp last January when QPR hijacked a virtually completed deal with Newcastle – is on bail after being arrested on suspicion of rape, an allegation he denies.