The Football Association's chairman, Greg Dyke, has called for a change in the disciplinary rules to deal more effectively with retrospective punishments after Fernando Torres was let off for scratching Jan Vertonghen.

Although the FA altered its rules in the summer to make it easier to take retrospective action using video evidence, it was unable to take action against Torres in Chelsea's game at Tottenham Hotspur last month because the officials said they had seen the incident, albeit only partially.

"When millions of fans watching on TV can see an incident like this and the FA does not take action it is understandably baffling to everybody and has to be addressed," he said. "For the FA's disciplinary department to find itself in a position where it is not able to take action against an obvious scratch just can't be right. What this means is, despite the rules being changed in the summer, they clearly weren't changed enough.

"As chairman of the FA I don't like being in a position where I can't explain why no action has been taken despite it being obvious."

Dyke also used his speech at the Leaders in Football conference on Wednesday to warn that it will be a decade before it is possible to judge whether any changes that flow from his root and branch review of youth development have succeeded or not.

Last month, Dyke issued an explosive warning that the England side risked drifting into irrelevancy if the alarming decline in the number of homegrown players was not addressed.

He pointed to figures showing that only 32% of players in the top flight were qualified to play for England and unveiled plans for a commission to look at possible solutions, to report in the new year.

He confirmed that the former England manager Glenn Hoddle would be part of the commission but that the Premier League would not sit on it. "The Premier League decided they didn't want to be on it. They have said they will help where they can but they didn't want to be on the commission itself. I don't think they're right but I can understand why," he said.

Dyke has also previously set an ambitious target of winning the 2022 World Cup. "We have a responsibility to ensure kids with talent can get through this system and don't get lost," said Dyke following his speech. "I suspect that some of them are getting lost in a world where 70% to 80% of starts last season were overseas players."

Dyke insisted that the Premier League had an interest in improving the flow of English talent through the game. "I think most people accept that if the England team is successful, it's very good for the whole of English football. I think people who own Premier League clubs buy into that," he said.

Dyke, who said his speech would be more "reflective" in tone than his call to arms last month, laid out four defining principles that should guide today's football leaders: "A game that is universal and simple, proud of national and local identities, redistributive and nurturing of its grassroots and appreciative of those in the game."

He refused to comment on Harry Redknapp's stinging criticism of the FA in his new autobiography after he wasn't offered the England job. "He is entitled to an opinion," said Dyke.

The former BBC director general repeated his view that the 2022 World Cup couldn't be held in Qatar in the summer. "Anybody who has been to Qatar in the summer knows it is too hot to hold a football tournament there," he said. "That tournament will not be held in Qatar in the summer and we should all welcome that."

But he said that there was no value in calling for it to be moved. "In most businesses, if you have made a fundamental mistake your major aim is to get out of it or bury it. Both would be quite difficult in this case. Qatar bid through the proper process and they won," Dyke said.

"We all look today and say: 'Isn't it a bit odd that they won?' But they won. And the weather isn't a reason for changing it, because we all knew what the weather was. There was a report that warned that the weather was an issue and I don't think most of them read it."