José Mourinho has felt under no obligation to reassure Juan Mata and David Luiz over their futures in the wake of suggestions one of the pair might be used as a makeweight in any deal for Wayne Rooney, with the Chelsea manager having already stressed to each that they are key to the club's plans.
Talk of a potential swap deal had circulated on Wednesday involving the England striker moving to Stamford Bridge in return for money and Manchester United's pick of the two, but Chelsea were quick to issue a statement confirming their cash bid for Rooney, of around £20m, did not involve any of their players moving in the opposite direction. Chelsea's offer was instantly rejected, with the respective clubs having taken a policy decision not to comment publicly on the Rooney issue.
Neither Mata nor David Luiz is in Malaysia, having each been given more time off after the Confederations Cup, but Mourinho has spoken to them on the phone. However, that initial contact was made while the players were at the tournament in Brazil, with each now on leave until reporting back to Cobham on 28 July, before the four-game United States leg of Chelsea's pre-season preparations.
"I spoke with them during the summer, in my period of holiday and their period of the Confederations Cup, yes," Mourinho said. "But when they finished the Confederations Cup I just wished them luck and told them that I will see them on the 28th.
"I am not going to contact them based on news that are not true, and that they know that is not true because I have told them they are very important for me. How can I change that two days later because of a news [story]? So no, no contact with them."
Asked earlier in the day whether either player might be sold this summer, Mourinho had replied: "No chance, no chance." He added both would be at the club in the season ahead. Indeed Mata, Chelsea's player of the season in each of his two years at the club, is expected to be offered a new and improved contract extending his stay beyond 2016.
David Luiz, quoted in the Brazilian newspaper O Globo, said: "I do not like the rumours about me and the possible departure. I have a contract with Chelsea until June 2017 and do not want to talk to other clubs."