Alan Pardew said he was "sad" to see Joe Kinnear leave St James' Park earlier this week.
Although Newcastle United's manager never wanted Kinnear to be made the club's director of football last June and frequently found working with him frustrating, Pardew kept a straight face as he straight-batted questions about his ousting.
"I'm just sad to see anybody lose their job, as Joe has," he said. "He did a lot of good work here. But that decision was the board's decision."
Kinnear's failure to make a single permanent signing during two transfers windows, allied to his failure to replace Yohan Cabaye – Newcastle's best midfielder who left for Paris Saint-Germain in a £20m deal last week – has hardly strengthened Pardew's position.
Newcastle's manager – whose side travel to Chelsea on Saturday hoping to recover from Saturday's 3-0 defeat at home to Sunderland but without the injured Cheik Tioté and Fabricio Coloccini – again stressed that reinforcements in the summer were imperative before suggesting that he would be happy to work with a director of football in the future.
"That decision is the board's, but I have no problem with directors of football," he said. "In the modern game, a lot of clubs have directors of football.
"There is so much involved in transfers in terms of the other club, agents, the preparation for the bid and the finances that are involved now that it goes way past what we used to do 10 years ago. I'm old enough now to have been in at a time when I was involved in the financial part of a transfer.
"But that part of it has gone from managers and has gone from me, I would say, for the last six or seven years for sure, and probably that's how it should be."
Meanwhile, Newcastle have suspended their reserve-team manager Willie Donachie for disciplinary reasons. Donachie is alleged to have hit Remie Streete, a 19-year-old Newcastle defender, following the second string's 2-0 defeat to Sunderland at the Stadium of Light earlier this week.