Thirteen people have been freed from police bail in the first major repercussion from the collapse of the Tulisa Contostavlos trial.

They were arrested in December following a Sun on Sunday investigation into football spot-fixing by Mazher Mahmood.

But the judge's statement when staying the Contostavlos trial, that there were "strong grounds" for believing Mahmood had told lies, has clearly influenced the National Crime Agency (NCA).

It issued a statement on its website last Friday which said:

"As a result of recent adverse judicial comment during a trial where criminal proceedings were stayed, the NCA has decided to release from bail thirteen subjects arrested in relation to a football match spot fixing investigation so that further enquiries can be undertaken."

This was reported that day by the Guardian's sports section because six of the arrested people were players with Preston North End.

In response to the NCA's statement the club said the six were "no longer under any form of formal arrest procedure." It added that they had been due to answer bail today, Wednesday.

Among the other seven were two former Premier League players, DJ Campbell and Sam Sodje, and Cristian Montano of Oldham Athletic, Ian Goodison of Tranmere Rovers, and Sodje's brothers, Akpo - also a Tranmere player - and Stephen, a businessman.

The arrests came the day after Mahmood's investigation was published on 8 December 2013 over five pages.

Mahmood (aka the fake sheikh) was suspended from the Sun on Sunday following the collapse of the Contostavlos trial while its publisher, News UK, conducts an internal inquiry.