Football League: your thoughts

Millwall's kit-man forgot the kit, the elements rain down on Doncaster's parade and Peterborough's young guns are on fire


Doncaster have had a curious start to the season. After signing one-fifth of One Direction and losing their first game of the season 3-1 to Blackpool, their fans must have feared the worst. But fast-forward to Saturday, following two excellent displays against Blackburn and FA Cup winners Wigan, Doncaster were four points better off and 3-0 up away to Charlton after just 23 minutes.

Three precious points looked sure for Rovers but then … disaster! The game was temporarily suspended for the torrential rain that bucketed down at The Valley. Despite the score, the widening puddles meant incensed Doncaster boss Paul Dickov could have no complaints but after a surprisingly enthusiastic effort from Charlton's groundstaff and Doncaster's own players mopping what they could of the wet, the game resumed before being abandoned at half-time. A cruel way to rob Doncaster of their win, much to the delight of the home crowd. The elements may have foiled Doncaster and this will be hard to take for Dickov but on this showing, Donny deserve to be considered more than plucky underdogs.

Bottom of the league, with no points and no goals scored after three games, it hasn't been the warmest of introductions in the Championship for Millwall's flame-haired manager Steve Lomas. When a kid at school forgets his P.E. kit, they are normally told to go fish an old vest out of the lost property. Not so in Sheffield: when Millwall turned up to Hillsborough on Saturday, without any of their kit, and were handed Wednesday's away shirt from last season – a gleaming yellow and blue number – Lomas might have been forgiven for dreaming it might inspire some Brazilian spirit in his players.

And so it proved, Millwall were transformed for the first five minutes, and took the lead, even if Kamil Zayatte's own goal wasn't quite Seleção-esque. Two minutes later, the facade was over: Millwall's goalkeeper Steven Bywater dropping a clanger, allowing Wednesday's Rada Johnson to poke in an equaliser and by 21 minutes, Jérémy Hélan had given Wednesday the lead, crashing a 20-yard drive into the corner. During half-time, Millwall's kit-man somehow found his beloved kit and with the Lion crest back on their breasts, the visitors came out stronger in the second-half and squared the game at 2-2 four minutes from time through an Andy Keogh penalty to give Lomas his first point.

Blackburn finally kicked their season into gear, running out 5-1 winners over Barnsley. Having started the afternoon in the relegation zone, Blackburn conceded first, but the game turned on 15 minutes, with Barnsley's Jean-Yves M'voto sent-off for bringing down Jordan Rhodes, with on-loan midfielder Tom Cairney curling an excellent equaliser from the resulting free-kick. Subsequently, the floodgates opened at Ewood, with Rhodes the chief rainmaker, notching two goals, while Josh King and Todd Kane also were on target.

Elsewhere Leeds avoided a red card at Portman Road for the first time in four visits to Ipswich which contributed to their 2-1 win, and Blackpool continued their unbeaten start to the season with a 1-0 victory over Reading to go top of the table.

League One

Leyton Orient continued to make their best start to a season for 104 years, with a 2-0 victory over Crewe, their fourth win on the bounce. Clinical finishing from both Moses Odubajo on the six-minute mark and a cool penalty from David Mooney before the half-time break decided an otherwise even game. There is cautious optimism in east London at the moment that Orient can maintain this form to make a serious bid for promotion and they top the table on goal difference over Peterborough, who were also impressive 5-0 winners away to Tranmere.

Already two down to goals from Tommy Rowe and Tyrone Barnett, Tranmere's afternoon was effectively ended when Andrai Jones was sent-off for a poor challenge on Barnett, with Grant McCann converting the resulting penalty. Manager Darren Ferguson lost his two best players over the summer after Peterborough suffered relegation, with Dwight Gayle sold to Crystal Palace for £4.5m and George Boyd joining Hull following the end of this contract, but Ferguson's squad, with an average age of just 21, is proving capable of bouncing straight back up.

League Two

Mansfield got an excellent 2-2 draw with Portsmouth, after Lindon Meikle came off the bench to equalise for The Stags, capitalising on a defensive error. These two teams were two divisions apart last season but are on level points after four games, and Mansfield can feel aggrieved not to have nicked it at the end – Meikle having a shot well blocked by Bondz N'Gala.

AFC Wimbledon came from two goals down to beat Scunthorpe 3-2 – Chris Arthur's left foot strike completing a remarkable comeback with just three minutes remaining. Wimbledon only avoided relegation on the final day of last season but manager Neil Ardley has completely overhauled the squad with fifteen departures and twelve new arrivals over the summer – a tactic that appears to be working, with the Dons much improved, leapfrogging Scunthorpe with this win to the heady heights of eighth.

comments powered by Disqus