• FA chairman declined to reopen international door to Terry
• 'Until I hear to the contrary, he stays retired'
The Football Association chairman David Bernstein has challenged John Terry to publicly state his desire to be considered for England duty, insisting the defender "stays retired" until either the FA or manager Roy Hodgson hears otherwise.
Terry is open to playing for England again, having announced his retirement from international football last September, shortly before the FA found the Chelsea captain guilty of racially abusing Queens Park Rangers' Anton Ferdinand, for which he was subsequently banned for four matches, and after he had been cleared of a similar charge at Westminster magistrates court.
But if Terry thought the leak would lead to senior England figures stating their wish for the player to return to the fold having secured his 78th and most recent cap in the 5-0 World Cup qualifying victory over Moldova eight months ago, he has been mistaken. Hodgson has remained silent on the subject and Bernstein has declined the opportunity to reopen the door to the man from whom he took the England captaincy in February 2012 after it was confirmed he would stand trial over the Ferdinand furore.
"He [Terry] has not announced he is coming out of retirement and if he did the decision will be down to the manager," said Bernstein, who was speaking at the launch of Royal Mail's Football Heroes stamp collection at Wembley. "The one thing about John Terry is that he always used to take his football seriously and therefore I took his retirement seriously. Until I hear to the contrary, he stays retired."
Bernstein's tough stance is hardly a surprise given the bad blood that exists between the pair – Terry refused to shake the 69-year-old's hand at a Champions League handover ceremony in London last month – and from the player's point of view it could be a case of sitting tight given Bernstein will retire from his post in July and be replaced by the former BBC director general Greg Dyke.
By then, however, England will have played friendlies against the Republic of Ireland at Wembley and against Brazil at the Maracanã as part of the FA's 150-year anniversary celebrations. Hodgson has given no indication that Terry will be considered for those games and so if the defender, who has made 10 Premier League starts for Chelsea this season due to suspension and injury, wants to be considered for either it appears he will have to bite the bullet and make his intentions clear.
Bernstein also said on Wednesday that the FA will reveal the first of its new anti-racism measures in a matter of days. The governing body announced last October that it was to review its sanctioning procedures after Terry received his four-match ban, alongside a £220,000 fine, for abusing Ferdinand. Leading anti-racism campaigners Kick It Out condemned the sanction, which was agreed upon by an independent disciplinary body, and Bernstein admitted at the time that existing tariffs "needed looking at again".
"I'm hoping next week we will be announcing the first tranche of our successes," said the FA chairman, who last month joined a Fifa anti-racism and discrimination taskforce alongside the Premier League referee Howard Webb.
"It is not likely to be exactly in line with Uefa [who have proposed introducing 10-match bans for any player or official found guilty of racism]. Ours will have a minimum but clear acceleration from that minimum."
It is believed the FA will propose a ban of fewer than 10 games for racist abuse, but this will increase depending on severity and repetition.