• Captain's preparations disrupted by FA race hearing
• Terry could appeal any ban to ensure availability at Emirates
Chelsea are confident John Terry will be able to feature against Arsenal on Saturday even if the remainder of his week's training is further disrupted by appearances in front of a Football Association independent regulatory commission.
Terry is facing a charge of racially abusing the QPR defender Anton Ferdinand with the four-man panel expected to reach a verdict later this week. Should he be found guilty, Terry would most likely incur a four-game ban but it is anticipated he would appeal any such decision having been cleared of a racially aggravated public order offence around the same incident at Westminster magistrates' court in July. That should ensure he plays in the derby at the Emirates stadium.
The player attended the hearing on Monday and Tuesday this week, preventing him from training with his team-mates, with his availability for the Capital One Cup tie against Wolves only confirmed early on Tuesday afternoon. He faces further disruption over the remainder of the week. "The fact is he's got a lot of minutes under his belt already," said the assistant manager, Eddie Newton. "We will cover all our bases. There are ways and means around it when it comes to training. We'll be in constant contact with John. The fitness coaches and medical staff will get around him and make sure he's prepared in the best way possible. We'll deal with that.
"John's a positive person who loves the club. He's very enthusiastic about playing, and he's been fine, dealing with the situation at hand, coming in and doing what he has to do at the club.
"Robbie (di Matteo) has been talking to him, and he's been positive and upbeat. He's got enough training under his belt. He's a senior player who knows how to look after his body. He's done that well and was fine to play in this game."
Chelsea, meanwhile, have called in Surrey police to investigate the theft of six wallets, nine mobile phones and several watches stolen from the club's academy building at their Cobham training base earlier this month. "A number of personal items were recently stolen from the academy dressing room area," said a spokesman. "The matter is currently being investigated by the police.
"CCTV footage is being handed to them and confirms the thefts were carried out by a lone intruder not connected with the training ground site. Other local premises near to the training ground were targeted that day and may be connected. Nobody at Chelsea is under suspicion.""