Arsenal reach Champions League quarter-finals with Glasgow win

• Glasgow City 2-3 Arsenal (2-6 agg)
• Gunners reach final eight for 11th season running

Arsenal swept into the Champions League quarter-finals for the 11th season in succession, England's top team of the past decade proving far too strong for a Glasgow City side attempting to reach the last eight for the first time.

Shelley Kerr, the Arsenal's manager, said: "Reaching at least the quarter-finals in every year the club has appeared in the Champions League is a fantastic record and it's great to have done it again.

"Credit to Glasgow, they made it hard for us tonight and after their early goal it took us a while to settle into the game. But experience told in the end, the girls stayed calm throughout and they saw the tie out with no real panics."

Saturday's 3-0 first-leg win had provided a helpful cushion for the Gunners as Glasgow, despite giving their visitors a scare with a Suzanne Lappin goal after just three minutes, were unable to make the most of home advantage and the continuously loud backing from a packed and partisan Petershill Park crowd.

The Gunners equalised through the left winger Rachel Yankey and then took the lead through Jordan Nobbs before the a late goal from City captain Rachel Corsie brought the scores level again. But a stoppage-time goal by the right-back Alex Scott gave Arsenal a hard-earned win on the night and a 6-2 aggregate victory that summed up the English team's superiority over the two legs.

The Scottish Premier League champions were visibly devastated after being totally outclassed in the first leg, but they made their mission impossible seem not quite as daunting for a little while following Lappin's third-minute opener, the striker heading home from Jess Fishlock's corner.

But the Gunners restored their three-goal aggregate-lead when Yankey, moving on to a 12th-minute pass from midfielder Kim Little, cut in to fire a 15-yard shot into the top corner of the net.

Arsenal's away goal swung the tie firmly in their favour, but Glasgow gamely kept themselves in the tie as first midfielder Denise O'Sullivan and then Fishlock forced the goalkeeper Emma Byrne into saves. And four minutes before the interval Byrne had to make a good stop from winger Sarah Crilly.

Arsenal's composure never wavered, however, and after Ellen White and the central defender Gilly Flaherty had goal-bound efforts blocked, Nobbs edged the visitors in front after collecting Little's fine 69th-minute pass.

City pulled themselves back into the game when Corsie forced the ball in from Fishlock's 79th-minute free-kick, but three minutes into added time Scott collected a Yankey pass to round off a comfortable aggregate win.

After failing to finish in the Super League's top two Arsenal must win the Champions League to appear in next season's competition. "It's the end of a very hard season and right now we just want to enjoy the fact that we're through to the quarter-finals," Shelley added.

"It's becoming more difficult each year, domestically as well as in the Champions League, with so much investment now going into the women's game. But we aim to keep ourselves among the top teams in Europe and we'll look to go as far as we possibly can in the Champions League."

Birmingham City moved just as convincingly into the last eight, a 5-2 second-leg win against the Russian side Zorky at St Andrew's sending Blues through 7-2 on aggregate.

Early goals by the strikers Isobel Christiansen and Kirsty Linnett made the tie virtually safe, though Zorky hit back to make it 2-2 by the interval as the striker Maria Ruiz and the central defender Ashley Nick found the net.

Second-half goals from the left-back Kerys Harrop, Linnet and the winger Mel Lawley saw Blues safely through to what will be their first appearance in the quarter-finals.

comments powered by Disqus