Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
World Cup 2010: Shock Exit!
Matt (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
We know it happens in every tournament. A big team that was predicted to go far stumbles and falls in the group phase.

In this years tournament it is hard to look past Argentina, after their struggles in qualifying. They have a drawn a group which I think they may struggle in.

Nigeria took third place in this years African Nation Cup and depending on who they get in as coach could do well.

Greece are not the side that won the Euro's in 2004 that shocked the world. They did however qualify well finishing only one point behind group winners Switzerland. Will be a tough side to break down.

Finally The Korea Republic won their qualifying group and we will be no push overs.

On paper and looking at the talent available to Argentina the above matches should prove no problem at all but I just get the sneaky feeling they are going to struggle.

Who is your prediction for a shock exit?

Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I thinks, its gonna' be Argentina and France.
With Maradona as coach, they have reached the World cup. This itself a big achievement for him. So With maradona in charge they may suffer a shock exit.
And I want France to be knocked out in the first round itself for what they have done to Ireland. They don't even deserve to be in there so they should be knocked out
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I wouldn't be so surprised, they aren't doing so hot anyways
[account-removed] 4 years ago
Argentina will go far in this tourney. Maradona cannot ruin years of hard training at top clubs. And I'm sure everyone has heard of every single player on the national squad....
Milito
Higuain
Tevez
Mascherano
Di Maria
And the BEST player in the world.... M_ _ _ I
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Maradona can redirect years of hard training at top clubs, though. We all have seen all over the world when a bad coach tries to coach a good team. Doesn't work.

Not even Lionel Messi can carry Maradona
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
England
Aliko (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Oh yeah SergioRamos.... England is on the verge to do so
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Lol, what makes you to say so? England are doing pretty well and their isn't unplayable!
I think that's what the is about
Asianhawk (Liverpool) 4 years ago
England/spain, hopefully it would be brasil.... That would be a shock exit. How can argentina/france be a shock exit if struggled to qualify, they arnt playing that good at the moment either. How could those teams be a shock.... Rockerr and aliko do you know what shock means? Something that you didn't see coming...
Dhruv11 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
England's got no sting unless Rooney fires!
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
France could very easily fail in the first round. They only barely scraped through into the World Cup behind Serbia, and won against Ireland with that wonderful inventive control by Henry and the blind FIFA officials

Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I won't feel shock nor surprise if they are knock out early. Its call predicted...
SaintLucas (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I certainly hope so
AhmadSK (Barcelona) 4 years ago
It will be pretty funny if they win the world cup though.
That will not be Shock exit, its call Shock Win!
Fussball (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Argentina have a savior in Messi, though maradona with his antics can go all the way in making sure they do not go beyond knock out stage! My bet is on France or Portugal, they've got difficult groups by their standards this time around
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
My bet goes to the Portuguese. Even though the Ivory Coast disappointed in the African Cup of Nations in Angola, Drogba is still on fire for Chelsea and there isn't any reason why he shouldn't be doing that internationally when the world cup comes around. Brazil of course will be on top form, and if Ronaldinho goes to South africa aswell, you can guarantee them as group toppers. The Portuguese will lose to Cote D'Ivoire in the group stage 2-1 and not recover.

Also on my mind -

France have a tough group. Mexico, Uruguay, South Africa.... The most unpredictable group is group A. Why?

Even though I think France will finish in pole position, they had a tough qualifying group and had to win their place on the plane via an Henry handball. I think they will have increased their confidence though by June, and hopefully (or not hopefully, depends if your Irish) will find their way up to number 1.

South Africa don't provide much of threat, but they are hosts and the hosts are always destined to do well. If they can overcome their challenges in Round 1, who knows what could happen.

Uruguay did not qualify for Germany 2006, but Diego Forlan finished top scorer in la Liga last season and provides a hefty goal threat worthy of a win or two for the South Americans. If he performs then they could bag a place.

Mexico are the favourites to finish behind or even infront of France. They have strength in every part of the field including in goal and don't mess about on the ball. Who knows, really, who knows?
Dhruv11 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I don't agree when you say Portugal. Drogba may be in best of his forms but remember Football is a team game. But I strongly believe the way France are playing they may face an early exit if they can produce nothing special
SirStig (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I agree that Group A is going to be very interesting. I'd like to see France go out, but the battle for the top two spots will be intriguing because South Africa might spring up a few surprises seeing that they'll have a massive home advantage with all those vivuzuela horns blowing away
GeryGooner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I think Argentina will pack their bags earlier. Maradona is a euphoric one, so I think in the world cup he will be less aware about the rivals especially for the underdog teams...
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Agree agree agree. The last person that you could argue single handedly won a WC was Diego Maradona.... And things have changed worlds since then. Tactics, player fitness. If Argentina is going to rely on Messi, you better believe other teams will find ways to shut Messi out of the equation with strategy. It has worked before.

Besides Maradona hasn't even fielded a solid team yet. This will end badly for Argentina
Riggs (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Brazil. I think they're weaker than usual, but most importantly, anything can happen when playing vs drogba and ronaldo. Probably less likely to happen, but it would still be the largest shock. I also secretly want to see them go, and an african team advance
I agree with a lot of people, I'm betting Brasil and Argentina. Argentina aren't really doing well enough anyways so I think They'll be out, and Brasil will probably get lazy and lose to someone again. Thankfully, I want them out - Spain's the better side anyways
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 4 years ago
I would go with Portugal on this one! The only teams that were bigger disappointment during qualifies are Argentina and France, but these two giants have much easier groups, on the paper off course...
Boyboy (FC Utrecht) 4 years ago
I'd say poertugal or/and argentina because of the hard group for portugal and argentina because of maradonna
Fadom87 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I believe that Germany will be this year's shock exit. Miroslav Klose is struggling to find form for Bayern. Ballack is aging and may struggle with the physicality of Ghana, Australia, and Serbia. Germany, like England, does not have a solid #1 goalie
Torres3003 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Not really! Germany is always present in these big comp. And I won't be suprise to see then atleast in the semi finals! England-maybe
Nykmeister (Inter Milan) 4 years ago
I think it will be France, but it won't be much of a shock really =/ Germany is the mr. Consistency team I doubt they will be knocked out in the group phase. England.... I think they will do well, if they get knocked out in the group phase, that will be a shock
BigShel (Philadelphia Union) 4 years ago
They will go through to the knockout stages but so will the US!
Shock! Spain!

Judging by the form they are going through at the moment, no sane person would bet that they'll be going out, but since they didn't really have a fantastic record in the World cup proper, it won't be impossible to say they were knock out again in another quarter finals jinx.

However, millions of people who bet their $ on Spain will be knocked out (faint) along with them if it happens
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Spain:if they don't make it at least to the semifinal it would be a shock

Kick4Life - changing lives through football