Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
World Cup 2010 Live Comment
Shuds (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Argentina vs. Mexico
Kickoff: 18.30 GMT

Post your comments below
Joeymac (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Should be interesting. Another rematch from 2006. I don't see mexico going through
Andy (Rangers) 4 years ago
Should be a cracker, really looking forward to this.

Mexico's decision to play with Marquez slightly in-front of the defence and with two wing-backs may let Argentina get behind them a bit too often.

Unless the Mexican defence put in some great performances, I don't see Mexico getting through
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
The Messi show is about to kick off haha. I love the World Cup so much
Andy (Rangers) 4 years ago
Whoopsies, didn't anticipate a Mexican change, it seems they have changed to 4-at-the-back
Mauijim (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Clearly offside. Think I will be talking more about the refs in today's matches instead of the football
2 nil to the Argies
Sam (Juventus) 4 years ago
Mexico running out of ideas.... 3-0 down and still can't get a shot on goal
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Well Mexico's mistakes led to 2 of the three goals well referee's mistake on the first one, But Argentina played well anyways though.

Still, Yet to see a goal from messi
Germany vs. England
Kickoff: 14.00 GMT

Post your comments below
This is going to be one Epic game, can't wait for it to start. Who are you guys counting on to go trough?
Charliehenry (Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal) 4 years ago
C'mon ENGLAND!
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I wanna see this game end in penalty shoot-out!
Prag don't even say that, that means you want England to loose
Ahem, that is only half true.  I don't know but I like games ending in penalties, they chill my spine!
The Germans aren't looking that Lethal with penalties this time around
The English men, either. Lampard is on a bizarre penalty missing spree
We always go out on penalties usually in the quarter finals.  Facts show this game is going to be 50/50 but I really don't think it will be
England needs to latch on to an early goal and make use of its chances properly. Do you guys know if Schweinsteiger is fit to play today?
No idea, I don't think he is that much of a threat anyway their biggest threats are Klose and Podolski and Ozil has looked good so far
@Shuds: I am almost sure he is fit to play
England official line-up:  James, G. Johnson, A. Cole, Terry, Upson, Milner, Gerrard, Barry, Lampard, Rooney, Defoe
This lineup is actually good, Defoe found himself in great positions last time, he makes a lot of good runs. I wonder why Carragher is not starting
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Schweinsteiger is fit, full German line-up : Manuel Neuer, Philipp Lahm, Friedrich, Mertesacker, Boateng, Mueller, Khedira, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Lukas Podolski, Mesut Ozil, Miroslav Klose
Ltm017 4 years ago
I just want to watch a good match! I don't really care who wins! Penalties would be nice but I would steer more towards Germany winning just because it will help my dreamfooty team
Ltm017 4 years ago
Double post again uuuggghhh!
All eyes, or atleast mine will be on Ozil today. He plays like a classic trequartista already.
Would love to see him wear the Rossoneri.... Duh
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Half an hour played, 2-0. Germany look sharper, stronger, better on the ball. England hardly using the flanks at the moment, need something very special from someone!
Germany totally owning England on every aspect. England are playing like.... Well.... Italy as of 2010!
But I am sure things will improve in the second half
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
History repeating itself
This'll be the most exciting controversial game of the WC yet. England have just come to life and Germany have been brilliant going forward. Lampard unlucky as ever in the WC, guy just can't catch a break. Should be 2-2
Krijnor (Groningen) 4 years ago
What a game! Feel sorry for the English fans though Germany deserve to be in front imo
This is turning out to be a heck of a match, I am a happy man!
This is just cruel....    Come ON, england!
If England loses this match, the world will never hear the end of it. One up for the goal-line technology lobbyists. That Lampard goal was more obvious than the Zidane penalty in the 06' WC final. The replays make it all the more astonishing, the ball was well in
Chris Toy on Twitter:

"Four years ago you can question if tech is ready, but these days the ref could bloody check Twitter and get the right decision"

So true!
Elgunsu (Argentinos Juniors) 4 years ago
If I was english I would be mad as hell right now.  What a terrific game!
All fans of the game should be mad as hell that such mistakes still happen in the game in this day and age. The whole world is watching the match between two behemoths of the beautiful game and all it takes is FIFA's indecisions to muck up a perfectly well taken goal that could have serious repercussions
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Drogba on Lampard's goal.  
Maybe time to get Lennon back on for England, and if Rooney doesn't get into the game in the next 20 min put on Crouch!
Haha, gotta' check the odds on Beckham doing a Drogba if things stood as they are till the end of the game. He's in the right spot for a repeat
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Wow!So Lampard can shoot a free-kick without hitting the wall!
Its all over, I guess.  4-1
Heskey for Defoe? The Milner sub for Cole seemed peculiar but 4-1 down, I'd throw in Crouch. Germany devastating on counters, they'd outrun England on crutches
Crouch played really well during the friendlies. I don't know what makes Capello to choose Heskey over Crouch
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Wow! This is atrocious! England are horrible there lucky they had such a easy group!
OVER  4-1
Wow that was bad
Overall, Germany deserved their win, but they had luck on their side
Luck? It was complete ownage. But yeah should have been 2-4
Nike's write the future's ad's footballers went out of World cup faster than you can say 'huh? '...
I swear being in that add is a WC curse
Teccomin (Bayern München) 4 years ago
Heskey and Gomez should swap shirts
@Juno:So Ronaldo is next? ;p
Maybe they should have a 'Don't write my future' ads in future.... LOL
Possibly. Don't see Portugal winning this Spain side, even though their defence are good enough, they are not Greece nor Swiss
They made a new robinho one after Dinho didn't get in the 23 LOL
Wow ironic. 1966, germany says no goal, but linesman says goal. 2010 england says goal, linesman says no goal. Overall, germany deserved it
I know but this one was clearly over
Mixtaplix (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Awful defence. Simply awful. Germany deserved it. Rooney looked completely out of it this entire WC
Farcles (Fulham) 4 years ago
Had that goal counted, england wouldn't had felt the need to press as many people forward and wouldn't have had that huge break against them for those last goals. Not to say germany wouldn't have scored other ways, but that miscalled goal realy had an effect on the outcome of this game
Sharpoon (Hull City) 4 years ago
So Fifa resistance goal line technology and England have a perfectly good goal disallowed. Why do I not think this is a coincidence? I hate Blatter so much. But tbf, Germany were the better side anyway
Rugby has had the video refereeing for years, high time we get it in football as well
Well if the goal was aloud like it should have been we would have gone into halftime 2-2, and the game could have been way different. So the ref may have cost us the world cup, even so though we should have done better.

Oh and I thought the write the future ad was cool at first, now I'm not so sure though Brasil, Netherlands and Portugal are still there
United States vs. Ghana

Post your comments below
I think USA are slight underdogs but it could go either way
Nah the US are favourites, the African teams are too inconsistant and the Yanks will know how to play against them
Anyone got the lineups yet?
Team Lineup

United States: Tim Howard, Carlos Bocanegra, Jay DeMerit, Jonathan Bornstein, Steve Cherundolo, Ricardo Clark, Michael Bradley, Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Robbie Findley, Jozy Altidore

Formation: 4-4-2

Ghana: Richard Kingson, John Mensah, Jonathan Mensah, Hans Sarpei, John Pantsil, Kevin-Prince Boateng, Anthony Annan, Asamoah Gyan, Kwadwo Asamoah, Andre Ayew, Samuel Inkoom

Formation: 4-2-3-1
Ghana's only 2 goals by Gyan were both on penalties. The Americans have a much better midfield attack. Ghana can only hope to take them to penalties. I hope I'm proved wrong. It wold be good for Africa if they advance
A little confused over clark selection
Haha chelsea61, same could be said for usa if they advance, football is getting unprecedented attention this world cup
BigShel (Philadelphia Union) 4 years ago
What's up guys? Beer cold. Snacks ready. Phone off. Tv on 50 (lol) I'm good to go!
NO! NO!NO!.... No.... No.... No.... No.... No. EDU now please!
That's exactly why I questioned ricardo freaking clark bigshel. Defence has to step up! Let's make it hard again USA...
Go GO ghana !
A little bit of encouragement: after all the sloppy play, we are only down 1-0, and the second half is where we can start to open the game up. I don't like findley at the moment. Maybe put dempsey or donovan up top and bring in feilhaber? Glad clark was taken off...
Ok now I can breath again. Better so far in the second half but the defence is not looking good. We have to keep Ghana on their heels and not let up. Edu is doing well and Fielhaber thank God for his energy. Altidore keeps showing his age and inexperience in the first half how many time did he try to force the issue he missed many obvious passing opportunities to open teammates. Honestly even if we get through this round without 90 minutees of quality football we will still get eliminated in the next match. Where is the confidence and calmness necessary to suceed at this level?
Free kick set piece take advantage of this guys.  
US stop launching balls from the back and build stop wasting opportunities. Ghana continues to press and keep the US from playing organized
Fingers crossed for penalties! They're great to watch as a neutral
Sam (Juventus) 4 years ago
This is nerve-wracking! Another 30 min of torture!
Extra time. I need another beer. I hope this game ends in extra time I hate penalty shootouts!
Farcles (Fulham) 4 years ago
Good things happen when you pull out clark and findley, I liked that second half much better
Yes end it now US do not go to penalties :/ ahhhhhh
Hercules Gomez for Altidore I like that change Jozy was looking ragged
Damm.come on guys you have 27 minutes to get that back. Howard should have done better for sure
I take it back, I want penalties!
LMAO I hear you I think we will tie it so it's looking likely
Edu is playing stronger than any other US player right now. Ghana is really wasting alot of time where is the card?
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
WOW. What a match. Exciting to the end.... So long fair well to USA but looking towards the best finish in years for the African Continent!
Well done by Ghana for sure congratulations to them and good luck! Again defensive mistakes and lack of imagination have been our downfall
Well done Ghana great for Africa hope they get to the semis'
Seriously bummed. But congrats to Ghana. They finished the chances they were given
Illuminatii (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Thank you Ghana!
Ghana Ghana Ghana.... They did it.... What a goal by Gyan to finish things off. They really deserved the win
WELL played Ghana, but lets think about things for a min, USA's defence sucks that's the reason Ghana went through
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Really poor in the first half, great in the second, hat's off to Ghana though. Great game for them, I am cheering for them now that the US is out. Superb run though American even if it was anticlimactic, I think we can be proud.

Joeymac and BigShel, hilarious, too bad we didn't go through
Jimmybreeze (Manchester United) 4 years ago
1:36 AM Diary, I'm heartbroken. My new favourite team can't make our fifth date and I don't know when we'll see each other again.

2:20 AM I can't stop watching the replays. The sound of the full time whistle is all I hear

2:29 AM I'm suicidal and blaming myself. Punching in a number, I need objection

2:40 AM Mother says I should do it. That I deserve it for the years of disappointment. Father isn't home. She called my brother and he thinks I should do it too. He wants his tricycle back. He doesn't forget

2:51 AM.... Goodbye World. Goodbye Grandma's cooking. Goodbye to the people who I haven't yet met. United States Men's National Football Team, Goodbye. You made me laugh, you made me cry and you made me late for an exam, but your spirit was beautiful all of the time. Goodbye

2:52 AM Will do it at a late night screening of Sex and the City 2, an American import. I read the reviews, 146 minutes will kill a man

3:53 AM Couldn't go through with it. Didn't have the right change. Remembered about Mexico and it's close proximity to US on the way back, they're yet to draw their last breath. I think I'll love again. Diary, Good night
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Amazing diary entry, I never thought of suicide by Sex and the City 2
Nice jimmybreeze
Uruguay vs. South Korea

Post your comments below
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Good goal by Uruguay! I don't know why the keeper changed his mind in mid-air though
Is it just me or does Uruguay's Suarez look like a low-budget Jean-Claude Van-Damme? Lol

Good goal by South Korea!
If the South Koreans were better finishers, the scoreline easily would have been 3-1
Kiwoli (Inter Milan) 4 years ago
What an awesome game! Well done to the Koreans for getting the equaliser, the game can only get better from here on
I'm calling a South Korea win guys If I lose, I'll do pushups...
Ooops...
Suarez!What a goal!Sweetly curled!
I'm kind of sad that South Korea has been knocked out, the finishing wasn't great today but the conditions probably didn't help. Great goal from Suarez, but I haven't forgotten what he did against Khune
Well played Uruguay, I hoped the Koreans would get through, but it wasn't their day
Two different but equally great finishes from Suarez!
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Question do yellow cards players pick up in the group stage carry on to the knockout stage?
Until the quarter-finals. After that, it's wiped out
Cheers, I wasnt 100% sure
Forlan's stock has sure gone up this summer. Athletico won the UEFA Cup because of his boot and Uruguay are looking to go far
I was wondering the same thing
Chile vs. Spain

Post your comments below
This could be the game of the tournament. South America is unbeaten so far. What a test for Spain. I hope it lives up to its billing
Are Spain playing a 4-4-2 with Alonso on the left of midfield, or a 4-3-3 with someone on the right of the attack? Can't work them out
Ltm017 4 years ago
Wow Torres is playing bad. But I really can't believe Villa scored that goal. Maybe it will give them a chance to play better because they were playing horrible at the start but they really don't look god. Chile looks much better than they do and I know they will score at some point
Ltm017 4 years ago
Yaaayyy! Iniesta! But I really want Chile to go through too! I will be so upset it they don't go through. They are playing some of the best ball in this world cup!
I said before. Chile will be playing into Spain's hand if they attack. Sigh. Hope Swiss doesn't scores against Hondura...
A very harsh red card for Estrada
A harsh red indeed.... Ponce should have got the red instead. That tackle on Alonso really deserved another yellow. So far so good.... Hoping for more and yeah What a goal by Villa.... Just Brilliant! The second goal was good too, happy to see Iniesta actually getting on the scoreboard
Fantastic ! We had a game on our hand now!
The 2 ladies supporting both Chile and Spain are smooching HOT!
Ltm017 4 years ago
I am so happy they both got through! Woohoo!
Glad I picked Villa as my super striker in dreamfooty. Two completely different halfs. Spain are lucky they had the man advantage because Chile would have done better. The two best teams advance, the way it should be
Dang Torres is absolutely rubbish out there, I shouldn't have picked him for my dreamfootysquad
Switzerland vs. Honduras

Post your comments below
4 years ago
The silence here speaks volumes...
Ltm017 4 years ago
I hope Honduras doesn't make Switzerland score cause I want Chile and Spain to go through!
Yeah its a real sleeper. Both these teams are going home barring a late run
Not much to talk about with this match, could have put us all to sleep
Portugal vs. Brazil

Post your comments below
CanonsofArsene (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Pregame talk -

Hey I'm joining the live comment for the first time here! Anyways, this is probably the most anticipated game of the group stages. It is 'the death match' of the group of death.... World # 1 clash against #3.... Each team famed for their individual personalities and playing style.... Brazil will be coming into the game having already qualified for the next round, while Portugal will be on very high spirits following their 7-0 thrashing of a North Korean side who actually played quite well in my honest opinion.

Kaka is suspended for this match-up but does anyone know if Brazil has appealed and undone the decision because it was an outrageous one, both yellow cards! Anyways, my predictions - a 2-2 draw with Fabiano "chesting down" another ball before scoring another magnificent goal that we can forget any doubts we may have had on how he actually "chested" the ball...
Canonsofarsene Brazil havent appealed because they have already made the last 16 so it doesn't matter if they win or not today. Even though they will beat portugal in my opinion, it will at least rest kaka for the knockout stage
Ltm017 4 years ago
Yeah it really doesn't matter much for both teams if I am correct. Because If Ivory Coast do win they still have to figure in the goal difference which I don't think they are going to get. So both teams are practically through already more than anything it will probably be boring. You always expect these matches to be good but they are not and its the ones with the smaller teams are more interesting
I would love this to be a great game but I can't see it happening. It would take a miricle from the Ivory Coast to knock Potugal out so I think both sides will be happy with whatever happpens in this game
Its an ugly scrappy game with 7 yellow cards, not more than two or three solid chances. Every time Ronaldo gets the ball he shoots, I mean from 40 yards, or over near the corner flag, terrible.

What should have been the best game of the group stages was in fact the worst. Awful from minute 1 to the very end. The crowd loudly booed at the end.

0-0, maybe three shots on target, 7 bookings. Ugly
Thank you, Dunga. For crapping on the Samba and making it play a hell of a boring football.  I need the good ol' Samba back!  
4 years ago
What an absolute pile of garbage. The agony was compounded, here in the UK by Mick McCarthy's awful, monotonous commentary
Wasn't a good match but it got the job done for Portugal. No one could really do anything because of all the defending going on. Honestly Portugal need more people up Ronaldo isn't superman and can't do it all on his own
Is it just me or are we going to see a bunch of games go to penalties in the last 16? I think only Argentina play an open attacking style with the 3-4-3
Argentina is going with a back 4. A loose 4-3-3 / 4-3-1-2 basically
@Prag, Brazil can actually ditch Dunga and go for Bielsa if they want the Samba to comes back. Attack, attack attack!
Bring in Leonardo as coach, I say!2014, come soon!  
North Korea vs. Ivory Coast

Post your comments below
Pregame talk-

Ivory Coast had their hopes of further progressing into the world cup severely dented with that loss to Brazil and even if they win this match, they will have to overcome a 9-goal goal difference between them and Portugal to qualify.... This is an enormous asking and could either inspire them to a miracle or seriously discourage their spirit. We know DPR Korea will be coming into the game with the same resolute mentality because that's just what they do. They will make the elephants play for those points. I have to say that in this world cup, the North Korean football team has earnt my respect for their fair, committed and passionate approach in playing the beautiful game! I am actually going to go against the bookmakers here and say that NK will pull off a shock win against a struggling CIV team who will eventually feel that reforging Portugal's inspired form is just too much an ask.... Remember that to qualify, they need 9 goals to overcome the deficit.... I mean what would your response be if someone asked for 9 goals from you.... But they will need to keep in mind that the first goal is the key to breaking down NK, and then anything can happen! Portugal needed the first half to get that all-important goal and the other 6 were just pick-ups from there on...
Also, this game will be a question of whether CIV can harness their energy and skill into a disciplined performance to overcome the highly-disciplined and military-like drilled unit that is the DPR Korean side...
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
I think by this point, you can safely say Ivory Coast is done. No way they can score another 6 goal in 7 minutes or Portugal losing 6 goals to Brazil
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Pity, isn't it Incuteration? They finally start playing really well and it's game over
Cameroon vs. Netherlands

Post your comments below
Team Lineup

Cameroon: Souleymanou Hamidou, Gaetan Bong, Nicolas N'Koulou, Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Stéphane M'Bia, Alex Song, Jean Makoun, Geremi, Maxim Choupo-Moting, Samuel Eto'o, Landry N`Guemo

Formation: 4-3-3

Netherlands: Maarten Stekelenburg, Joris Mathijsen, John Heitinga, Giovanni Van Bronckhorst, Khalid Boulahrouz, Mark Van Bommel, Nigel De Jong, Robin Van Persie, Wesley Sneijder, Rafael Van der Vaart, Dirk Kuyt

Pretty straight forward match not much happening, just the one goal from RVP which will bring some much needed points to my DF Cameroon playing for pride, feel sad that they won't progress
Finally RVP scores
Well, RVp did already give 2 assists. He's doing well (not great though) after such a long spell of injuries
Denmark vs. Japan

Post your comments below
Team Lineup

Denmark: Thomas Sorensen, Daniel Agger, Per Kroldrup, Simon Poulsen, Lars Jacobsen, Martin Jorgensen, Christian Poulsen, Thomas Kahlenberg, Dennis Rommedahl, Jon Dahl Tomasson, Nicklas Bendtner

Japan: Eiji Kawashima, Marcus Tulio Tanaka, Yuji Nakazawa, Yuto Nagatomo, Yuichi Komano, Yuki Abe, Yasuhito Endo, Makoto Hasebe, Yoshito Okubo, Keisuke Honda, Daisuke Matsui

Winner takes all in this game so we could be in for a treat here. If Denmark attack like they did against Cameroon and defend better than they did against Cameroon, I think they’ll edge it and go through
Two free kicks, two different takers, two goals. Samurai accuracy, Honda and Endo. Japan are playing some really slick football even besides that, great to watch. Silly of them picking up two yellows for wasting time in the 1st half though
A world cup which has been starved with goals from free kicks has just got its dose of some divine free kicks. WOAH how the hell did Honda get it in from way over there and Endo with his answer with a sweet sweet curler
Agree with you shuds I didn't think we would see ANY goals from free kicks but two in one match and both Unbelievable strikes
Endo best curl on the ball I have seen so far
This must be the best Japanese performance on World stage. Hell, they played more through balls, more shots and more tricks than the Danes who only know how to hoff the ball into the air
Yep, masterful by the Japanese. They even covered a lot of ground and fought for the loose ball and pressed hard when they didn't have it. They'll have a good chance of going far if they repeat a performance like that, even against the best teams around
Looks like we already have the surprise underdog team of this WC. Indeed a great game from the Japs. Maybe they can face the USA later in an epic rerun of WWII as England beats the Germans in a WWI repeat
OMG will people stop the WW2 thing from now on.... The English are already overdoing the German thing (see- ).... Do we really want the Americans and the Japanese to get all started with Hiroshima-Pearl Harbour? And people seem surprised that the Japanese made it? Not for me - The Japanese philosophy of Kaizen has always ensured the constant development of highly efficient manufacturing with precisely and powerfully struck goal-bound hits - see some of Honda's concepts for confirmation...
Yeeeeaaaahhhhh! Get stuck in! Nippon! Amazing goals by Keisuke and Endo!
Slovakia vs. Italy

Post your comments below
Team Lineup

Slovakia: Dan Mucha, Radoslav Zabavnik, Martin Skrtel, Jan Durica, Peter Pekarik, Zdeno Strba, Jan Kozak, Robert Vittek, Marek Hamsik, Erik Jendrisek, Miroslav Stoch

Italy: Federico Marchetti, Giorgio Chiellini, Fabio Cannavaro, Domenico Criscito, Gianluca Zambrotta, Daniele De Rossi, Riccardo Montolivo, Gennaro Gattuso, Antonio Di Natale, Vincenzo Iaquinta, Simone Pepe

Francesco2286 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Omg what hamsik just missed
Francesco2286 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Oh man where is cannavaro? I think he's been on vacations since may...
Italy can't maintain possession against Slovaks...
Or will this be the undoing of the Italians!
Slovaks! OMG! Italy gone behind once again!
MariusV (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Good goal by slovakia, c'mon italy!
Oh Yea! Happy days
Forza Azzurri!  Do it for the fans!
Oh yea that's right, you love everything italy
Pirlo.... We need you!We miss you!  Nobody to create in the mid...
De Rossi can conjure a penalty out of a sneeze, that might save Italy
Half time, , hope Pirlo could come off the bench. That'd do the trick for the Azzurri.
And Canna should've opted some other sport.... Like.... Fishing.
So who advances if points, Goals for and against remains the same for Italy and NZ after these games (looks unlikely at the moment but I'm curious.)

@Ant - he would be a world class player if he actually played like one.

@Pragthish - blame Lippi for picking him, don't blame Cannavaro
As it stands, NZ have to win
The Italian defence looks really shaky and this squad isn't working at all, Lippi needs to make his changes if he wants to progress
If there are no more goals    Paraguay 5  Slovakia 4  New Zealand 3  Italy 2
This isn't Italy!This isn't the same old scary defence!  Lippi sucks big time
Pirlo on!W00t w00t!
2-0.  All over for Italy. Thank you Lippi
Italy have been dreadful so far, barely any shots on goal. Had one saved off the line from Skertel. Vittek scores again ! Slovakia 2-0 ! Italy are going out!
Just shows age and experience ain't everything eh Lippi?
Sounds like another shock result but I'm watching the important game in this group
No, it shows finished players should retire
Forza azzurri!  2-1!  Still some hope!
Omg, he droped to the ground with a small slap to the face, well I guess it's to get him booked
I've never cheered an offside like that before!
Officially all over.  3-1.  Nothing can be done.
Italy are certainly out now, Slovakia 3-1. First touch of the game for the sub, goal ! Woah, some upset this
3-2 !
I can keep my head high!  What a goal!
Insanity! Nice one Slovakia!
What a sweetly taken goal 3-2, one of the best in the WC so far. Great game at the end of it all
Final goal from Quella was awesome.... Hmm but of no use.  Lippi should put his head into a paper bag.
The Write the Future Curse is taking effect nicely Portugal next...
Most exciting game yet.  Did you expect that from Italy?
Golaire (Bayern München) 4 years ago
OMG, I can't believe this, we sent the defending champions home and we move on. They have done everything I expected for them, we can gracefully bow out when we lose to the Netherlands.
Woah! What a game, it was pure drama trough and trough. The Slovakians really deserved the win today, they started slacking again after their 3rd goal but were back up again. Skrtel and Vittek saved the day. Poor poor performance from Italy, Lippi just got everything wrong and most of them on the team should really retire. What a goal from Quagliarella, truly one of the best in this tournament but it was too little too late. Pepe still had a chance to equalize but blew it wide. This is turning out to be one of the most unpredictable world cups ever
Hithere (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Ffffuuuuuuuu.... I used up all my 3 transfers for my Dreamfooty already and I still got an Italian player. Darn my impatience
Kestonj (Barcelona) 4 years ago
This was really quite a game! The last 7 minutes was like watching an action/thriller movie! It was definitely the most exciting and thrilling game for the world cup. The current champions are out. I bet they never saw that coming. It was a remarkable game
Brilliant game and what a result! This tournament is now wide open, anyone can beat anyone
Laquinta was utter rubbish for the most part. The Italians only started playing - going forward with conviction when the clock hit 70 minutes and even then some of the defending was unbelievable. Great win for the Slovaks, some result this and they're through to the final 16. Were more adventerous than both of their previous games put together and deserved it at the end. Was a great game to watch
Haha well done Slovakia
Hithere (Manchester United) 4 years ago
That 2nd Italian goal has to be the best one yet. Amazing skill. I can't believe this Italian team defended so poorly this WC. The Italians bad at defending? Next thing we're gonna' see the Germans losing out on penalties
Paraguay vs. New Zealand

Post your comments below
Team Lineup

Paraguay: Justo Villar, Julio César Cáceres, Paulo Da Silva, Claudio Morel Rodríguez, Denis Caniza, Victor Cáceres, Cristian Riveros, Nelson Haedo Valdez, Enrique Vera, Roque Santa Cruz, Óscar Cardozo

New Zealand: Mark Paston, Ryan Nelsen, Tommy Smith, Winston Reid, Ivan Vicelich, Simon Elliott, Tony Lochhead, Leo Bertos, Rory Fallon, Shane Smeltz, Chris Killen

Formation: 3-4-3
Can NZ do it? Will this game prove to be the undoing of the Italians? I certainly hope Paraguay get through, they've been playing well and deserves their spot
Come on New Zealand! An early goal will do us wonders.  Come ON!
15 mins, no solid chances for either side. First goal might win this
Likewise at the other match...
Not sure what just happened but a Paraguay player was on the ground and a NZ player shoved his face in the ground? Ref didn't see it
Half time 0-0, the score suits both teams. Paraguay just need a draw but NZ will be hoping to snatch a goal on the break
The game has really opened up now with NZ looking for the win and leaving gaps behind
20 mins of Nzs world cup left
This is an incredible finish!
2 minutes for New Zealand to find a goal from somewhere !
C'mon New Zealand!
All over. Stink! Unbeaten in the world cup, finished above the world champions
Full time, both games. Damn it
Heads high New Zealand !
4 years ago
Heads down I'd say. Yeah they did well to get to this position in the first place, but then when they have a chance, they don't even try to attack the goal to go for a win. What a let down
That Mark Paston is really really good. More than a few fantastic saves all tournament to keep the Kiwis in contention. Onto bigger and better things
Can't really fault them for that, its been an achievement in itself, all their results in this tournament. They had a defensive strategy and stuck with it and it delivered for the most part, keeping them in contention for the final 16 till the last round of matches in the group stages. Kept them above the World Champions, that's saying something.

I think the problem is that because New Zealand don't get to play good teams like Paraguay or Italy, during international tournaments other than the WC, they have very little to plan on or to expect, going into games like those. So they picked up a strategy that they figured would work, which for the large part did. If they need to progress as a footballing nation though its entirely necessary that they take on teams from outside Oceania. Nobody's going to be complaining back home though, I'm sure hah
4 years ago
Spoken to a few kiwis and they are not happy that they didn't even have a go today. Not one shot at goal. Would have been just as well going out there, having a go and losing 5-0, than sitting back and not even trying. Very disappointing
New Zealand were such a credit to the tournament, exactly what you want from a small nation. Hopefully their succsess will promote the sport there
4 years ago
The first two performances were, yes
True that, not possible to get a result if you don't go for it. I was summing up the tournament and their strategy rather than just this game. Guess it was disappointing over the 90 minutes but can't beat hoping that there was a chance to go through to the final 16 till the last day of the group games when everybody expected the team to be the whipping boys of the group from the outset hah. Kiwis rejoice I say !
Ghana vs. Germany

Post your comments below
Come on Ghana, gotta' knock the Germans out
Won't happen mate Hope Lahm proves he's worthy of being the German captain
I highly doubt it will too to be honest, but I'm hoping for a slightly nicer passage for England
Really open game, not the walk in the park we thought Germany would have. Ozil should've scored with a clear 1-1 though, both team with some good chances.

Watching this and the Wimbledon match, 5th set, 50 games each. 50 - 50 . Somebody steal their rackets
The first half was quite boring, good second half, really unpredictable!  Wouldn't english fans love for germany to lose? LMAO
Fantastic strike, what a goal by Ozil. WHAM ! Kingston had no chance
Anfieldhero (Liverpool) 4 years ago
What a goal by ozil.... Absolutely amazing strike...
Germany take the lead, what a goal, doesn't sound too good for england
The game has opened up now.... Germany doesn't look too comfortable though. Here come Muntari.... There seems to be a last twist which awaits us
Lahm saves the day for the Germans, great block from a shot off Ayew. Ghana really are pressing, this game could go either way, still
What a block by Lahm.... That should have been a goal
Annan looks like a good little player.... Any takers?
Come on Ghana.... Apparently KP Boatang looks like he is asked to do a couple of step overs everytime he gets the ball...
Plenty of all action central midfielders in Ghana.... Wouldn't be surprising for any of the big clubs to come sniffing.

In other news, the Mahut Isner tennis match has broken all kinds of records including the longest game EVER, over 10 hours and counting and the most aces by any player, which BOTH players recorded. The match has gone longer than the Lord of the Rings trilogy !-The Extended Edition even !. Its not even over yet, bad lighting, the players will come out again tomorrow to continue at 59-59 in the 5th set !
Happy to see Germany end as the winners after all. Good for Africa that Ghana is through too.

@ Raj: Jesus Christ! I'd drop dead after 5h of intensive tennis, but that is just ridiculous!
Really happy that Ghana got through the group stages, there is atleast one African country in the round of 16 now. Oh and what a strike by Ozil, just Brilliant !
Yeeeaaaaaaaaa! Ghanaaaaaaaaa!
Yeeeaaaaaaaaa! Ghanaaaaaaaaa!
Horraayy for Ghana! As for Germany.... Next Sunday, classic rivalry coming. England vs Germany. Ghana will face the Americans
Australia vs. Serbia

Post your comments below
Come on Ivanovic, Vidic, Jovanovic & co!
Cahill puts australia in lead
Australlia 2 serbia 0
2-1
Serbia pulls one back, Australia and the Serbs look to be going out as things stand, few minutes plus extra-time to go
It's all over: Ghana are though, even though it was close. That Pantelic is one dumb striker: he runs offside in the last minute and wastes an easy chance too. The man needs to review that a hundred times and never make such a costly mistake again. Serbia would've gone through if he had scored
Yeah Serbia were wasteful in front of goal, Pantelic would've been clean through had he times his runs
Oops! Sorry about the double post

Kick4Life - changing lives through football