Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
World Cup 2010 - Draw Groups
Matt (Footytube Staff) 5 years ago
The seeds and pots for the World Cup draw on Friday have been announced. Being seeded not only prevent you meeting another seed in the group phase but also separates the seeds into the two halves of the draw if they qualify out of their groups.

The seeds are:

South Africa, Argentina, Brazil, England, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain

The rest of the pots are:

Pot 2: Australia, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Honduras, Mexico, USA, New Zealand

Pot 3: Algeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay

Pot 4: Denmark, France, Greece, Portugal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland

The big talking point is that neither France or Portugal have been seeded after they failed to secure automatic qualification making it to the finals via the play off's.

This will mean that those two teams will face a tough group and also two of the seeds will have a potential 'group OF death'.

As an England supporter this is my group of death:

England
Mexico
Cameroon
Portugal
Theturkishkop (Galatasaray SK) 5 years ago
England  Ivory Coast  Usa  France
Keong (Manchester United) 5 years ago
If we want to be world champion, we should be no fear no matter what team we face!
Franboy (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Why African countries are all in the same pot? The Ivory Coast deserves to be in Pot 1 or 2, I do not understand why. These systems draw kills football. Imagine the Ivory Coast with Brazil and the (Portugal or France) chances are already more difficult
Lukas (Chelsea) 5 years ago
England worst possible group england australia ivory coast portugal
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I am glad you included Cameroon into the group of death. People underestimate them because of the blip they had 4 years ago when they didn't make it into the World Cup. Nonetheless, they're a powerful team, with the likes of Eto'o, Song, Geremi, and Kameni as keeper. Don't write out the Indomitable Lions
Franboy,  You are right buddy! Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast and North Korea in the group of death!
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Death Group:  England  Ivory Coast  Usa  Portugal (just because of history)
Yogan (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Well I'll just make it out that ACMilan21 made two topics like this, trying to get people to post but it never happened. As Matt must be respected more, and is a mod, this thread is going to get big. Anyway, to the point.

So that means this could happen in the worst case scenario:
England
Portugal
Ivory Coast
Uda

Of course, I'm sure we aren't that unlucky.... But that is probably the group of death for me. France in their ways don't even deserve to be seeded. Yeah I'm sure most English people are just gonna' pick the best teams from the 4 pots for their group of death.... That's why I think exactly the same as Eric
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Haven't seen the older topics, but note that matt isn't a mod. He's one of the site creators - the admins! Plus he invented and created dreamfooty
Yogan (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Oooooh so Lee isn't a mod either? Or Ben or Vlad - I see now I never thought of the term "mod" as to mean moderator which means.... Thanks Ant
ACMilan21 (AC Milan) 5 years ago
And if ever, I made a topic for the Pools, not the groups....
So like before the groups were known, there were four pools, and I wanted to see what people thought would be the best groups.... But now that the groups are made, my topic is obsolete (So if an Staff member could delete it, that would be great....)
Thanks Guys!
Sam (Footytube Staff) 5 years ago
As an Azzurri fan, I already see karma coming back to bite us by being pooled with Australia! You heard it here first people!

Actually for karmic reasons, given our history with these nations, Italy will find themselves in this group:

Italy
Australia (WC 06)
Nigeria (WC 94)
France (where do I begin?)

Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Naa sammo as an aussie I have to say we should have beaten you in 06. How ever we had Guus Hiddink as our manager and he did wonders for us, that was our first World cup for 26 years. (or something like that) Our current manager isn't any where near as good, and although I'm confident we will do well I can't see us doing as well, or being as dangerous
I remember that match (Italy v Aus) in 06' and recall feeling the aussies were robbed
Wow! Thank you karma for staying your hand...
Neonseong (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Speaking of mangers of Australia.... Isn't it weird how Hiddink coached the Korean national team and went to Australia. Then Pim Veerbek or whatever his name was his assistant coach for the Korean national team and now his the coach for the Australians. I think the Australians should get rid of him, he lost 0-3 to the old team he coached (Korea)
Zzlatan (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Well I was amazed after seeing pot A.

I don't know who will make it to next round as they have best team like.

South Africa,
Argentina,
Brazil,
England, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain.

Well, Spain has best chance to beat USA.
Rzv36 (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
I made the exact same topic 1 week ago....Search for Which could be the most difficult group at the world cup 2010....Or look here

Link: www.footytube.com/forums/general-chat/wich-could-b...
You re right, if you would make this topic, it will probably be closed
It is a similar thread, apologies I didn't check back that far as the seeds were only named yesterday.

And as you can see the new pots released yesterday are different from the ones you initial posted
That is your kind Matt, I agreed with Rvz36 because some topics that I made has closed because of the same reason. Don't get us wrong
SirStig (Arsenal) 5 years ago
It is not looking good for the US, being drawn with Brazil or spain, ivory coast, and portugal is going to be deadly
PepeLePew (Bordeaux) 5 years ago
No worries about not being seeded. France will win it all, I am confident!
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
:/.... Maybe a bit to confident. They don't have the form or strength in their squad imo. Most of your best players are the older ones, for example Henry is nothing compared to what he used to be
Incuteration (Everton) 5 years ago
Death team:

Spain
Australia
Ivory Coast
France

The australians are really improving right now, and could prove a great threat to Spain and France if this team comes out.

Weakest team:

South Africa
New Zealand
Algeria
Slovenia

Weakest teams in my opinion
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Algeria haha, Lol can't wait to see them play. No offence to any Algeria fans
I'm more excited to see New Zeland play, I never agreed how they put Australia into AFC. I know AFC isn't very strong compared to UEFA, but Australia isn't even Asia. This is just messing with geography
The France is not seeded? (not the pot 1)
France is the vice world champion in 2006, then explain to me why France is in the hat 2. Why punish France over the game in Ireland.
Fifa does not do that, if FIFA had authorized arbitration video, the France would perhaps not be a World Cup. But from the moment she is qualified, I can not accept the vice champion of the world is in the hat 2. Is a world first. Punishment?
There is a conspiracy theory that France have been 'punished' for the handball. If this is the case what did Portugal do?

I think the reason these two teams are not seeded is simply due to the fact they had to come through the qualification rounds to get to the finals.

I don't agree with seeding South Africa as host nation they have an advantage already why give them an additional one that their abilities do not justify
I read somewhere that they were taking the rule away where the host nation doesn't automatically qualify for the WC anymore? I'm not sure if that was just a rumor, but I thought it was ironic since 2014 is Brazil. Once they take the rule away, an actual good enough team host the WC
Oh and yeah I'm pretty sure you are right Matt, I remember the rule where the group leaders are the only seeded teams and the host nation
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Ok, my question is (and sorry if it's already been asked before), but has there always been seeding in the world cup? Or is this the first time that FIFA has decided to use a seeding system?
Juno (AC Milan) 5 years ago
I'm actually hoping France would be in the group of death this coming draw. Say if they manage to get to KO stage through the group of death, then perhaps its really destined that France instead of Ireland should qualify
I also hope to have good opponent. Because we play better against big teams.
I just said that the finalists of the 2006 World Cup should be in Pot 1.
Is a way to punish France. He also suspend spineless henry?
Anything. FIFA forbid arbitration video, it is wrong and after she punished
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
France are not automatically seeded because they did not automatically qualify - same with Portugal. They both had to go through play-offs meaning the were only barely good enough to get into the World cup
Sjsung (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I find it stupid that only the top 8 are seeded.

Rankings are important, but shouldn't the rankings come together with the qualifying performances? And what'd happen if say France actually beat Italy in 06? They'd make an "exception" and place France in the seeds I'm sure.

So then why even bother trying to top your group in the qualifiers? Just settle for 2nd then.

And everyone knows that the FIFA rankings are skewed, so we shouldn't use rankings.

The seeding system is not fair, and there should be 2 groups of 8 seeds at least.

In my opinion, the UEFA (champions league) seedings are much better
Lukas (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Easiest group england honduras algeria slovenia
For me, there were 2 of groups of death! Pity for the host since they get Mexico, Uruguay and France while the favorite Brazil get North Korea, Portugal and Ivory Coast!
Chrisg (Birmingham City) 5 years ago
England should really walk their group. Group G (aka of death) is going to be so much fun to watch
Wish Ivory Coast had gotten a better draw.... It really is going to come down to the Portugal vs. Ivory Coast...
SirStig (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I couldn't agree more, though I'm hoping for maybe a big upset just to make things even more interesting, maybe Brazil losing to Ivory Coast?
It'll be interesting if North Korea become the hidden card in that group. Who knows what those reds have under their sleeves
Sjsung (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Easiest group for me is Spain's Group H

Spain Swiss Chile Honduras

Korea Rep. Got a ok draw.... Could sneak 2nd.... Especially if Drgoba is off-form or injured....

Argentina Nigeria Korea Greece

Death group is definately Group G. Too bad for North Korea....
South Korea have already beaten Greece once so I'm sure their looking forward to that and oddly Argentina just isn't playing like they should. I think Korea will have more trouble with Nigera rather than Argentina, they've struggled even more to African teams compared to South American and European teams
South Korea have already beaten Greece once so I'm sure their looking forward to that and oddly Argentina just isn't playing like they should. I think Korea will have more trouble with Nigera rather than Argentina, they've struggled even more to African teams compared to South American and European teams
ACMilan21 (AC Milan) 5 years ago
I live in Switzerland! ....
They are a really good side though, and you cannot underestimate them. They played badly during the Euro, but are now really shinning, and since they have Hitzfeld as a coach, they will do so much better.
They have a deadly offence, and a decent defence.
Their goalie is pretty good.
However, they have never beaten Spain, so it if they lose that game and win every other, I would be happy, because they would still qualify for the next round....
Chile is not that great, but they still managed to qualify in a hard qualification group.
Honduras is sort of a surprise, like Algeria and Slovenia, but you never know what could happen. Maybe David Suazo will pull of some magic, and score an amazing goal to beat Spain.
Also, the weakest group is A, because all teams in it are not very good.
I hope France doesn't qualify for the next round, because they really don't deserve it.

Kick4Life - changing lives through football