Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Will African Noise During Match Spoil The Entertainment Of The World Cup?
[account-removed] 4 years ago
I heard it first time in confedarations cup, it was relly a horrible sound to hear also annoying equally. So, whts your thoughts over this noise?
Ntruf (Lille) 4 years ago
Stupidest comments of all....
What do you think is entertainment.... It's the game, the fans cheering for their team, showing their colors, culture, identity (it's the World Cup!), the big stadiums, the noise of it all....

.... Stupid kid....
GeryGooner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Yeah, I can't even hear people shouting or singing. If that happens in the world cup coming in june, we're not gonna' feel the world cup atmosphere we used to feel. It's like no big shouts when a goal scored! It feels like traffic jam!
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 3 years ago
He is referring to the vuvuzelas:

The very very loud african noise-making horns that deafen audio crews at all african-played soccer matches since the early 1990's. This is a totally worthy topic for discussion, as FIFA has been discussing whether or not to ban these things for fear of ruining TV and audiocasts. Frankly, it will ruin it. But you have to concede it to the host nation
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Ntruf come on lets try to stay classy here . No need for the name calling.

Now I honestly don't have much problem with them. It's different and takes a bit of getting used to.... But then again shouldnt every world cup be different? I don't mind a bit of diversity and I think it brings the individual and unique african culture to the game
Vegascoaster (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I'm not sure how this falls under the intelligent footy debate banner but to me no I don't think it will. Its how South Africa celebrates and its their atmosphere. Knowing that is what happens in a football game in South Africa, it'd be almost weird and a bit of a shame to see something much different. If you didn't want variety in the world cup atmosphere, why bother having it in different countries every time?

On a side note I think there are generally ways of minimizing that sort of stuff production wise based off of how college football tends to work over here and how loud those stadiums can get. At least that way you hear it in the background rather than thinking you're in a bee hive
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I don't think it will. As a matter of fact, I think its a very nice atmosphere. Football played in a loud and supporting atmosphere is better than a bunch of gentlemen sitting quietly not making any noise while they enjoy their game. I meant if one prefer the opera, they can always visit the theatre.

Cheers
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago

I don't want to be the party pooper in here but listening to those favelas go bzzzzzz during the Confederations cup back in the day was just annoying ,watching it on the TV.I can't be the only one,it's no placebo effect either,it's just annoying when you hear it,I think even Alonso said his ears were buzzing throughout the match.

Like mentioned,sounds like a duck on speed,more like a duck on speed being stamped on,Bzzzzzz.

I'm all for the noises humans make , building up a great atmosphere and all that but some trumpets going off with no sort of cohesion whatsover and just blatantly loud makes me want to plug my ears,which I did.Sounds like a probe into a bee-hive,Sammo has been in there,he knows what I'm talking about :P
Ugh yes.... Totally spot on.    "Please do not blow the vuvuzelas!"    
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I agree with Raj. I heard it first at the Confederations Cup and don't know how the people live with that annoying buzzing noise going around. This is a true story - when I was watching it in the summer, my mum was constantly asking me if I could see any bees, flies or wasps in the room, that noise is so annoying. It gets you every time. Why can't they sing or something, or anything that doesn't involve those bubuzela's or whatever they're called. I think maybe it will, a bit
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 4 years ago
Annoying it is, but I guess we all have to respect that it is a part of African football culture, and essential one apparently! It would be like going to watch Premiership game and complaining about that annoying English rain (does it ever stop?). It is what it is, all we can do is find a way to enjoy it
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
To be honest, I can't stand it, its not what I'm used to.... Lol.
I'm afraid if someone beside me was blowing one of them horn efforts the whole game, it would end up stuck up the rectoral passage.
I like to hear the fans singing, the witty banter towards the opposition fans, not a bloody din.... ! Because that's all it is, I don't mind the south american samba style music at games, you can still hear the fans.
But that's just wanton noise pollution
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Yes they are so annoying. If they are asloud as they were at confederations cup then yes, they willkinda ruin the WC because I will have to mute my TV
Oh you know they'll be worse at Soccercity...
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Just moved this topic over to the World Cup area to keep it in the right place
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Why? .... Because its a horney thread?
Eriburto (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Haha one of my friends got one of those horns taken from him by a cop at a high school match back in the day. If it's the way that fans express themselves then so be it. It won't have any effect on how much I enjoy the World Cup and will just make the first final to be held in the African continent more memorable.

But then again my television might already be mute because I can't stand Alexi Lawless and Julie Foudy...
Hill (Arsenal) 4 years ago
As Eriburto already mentioned, the only thing that will ruin the World Cup is the awful announcing of the Americans. My god, its like they have no idea what they are talking about. Alexi Lalas and Eric Wynaldo love to talk about their time as pros and when they played in the WC
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I remember last Wolrd Cup when some ignorant announcer called Thierry Henry(anrei) as Henry(hen-ree), he pronounced it like the American first name. I thought to myself wow, I could do a way better job of announcing than that guy, it was just atrocious. Haha Lalas and Wyanlda weren't even that good, they must have thought they were great though, Jesus. Good call on this one Andrew, and Eributo
Haha, yeah they were pretty bad. Well, Lalas wasn't that bad. But it seems every sentence goes something like this: "Donovan has got to pick it up, back when I was playing, and when I was captain, I provided the spark the team needed. Good Lord I was amazing. Wait, I still am because I can talk about how good I was at football. Wait.... What was I saying.... "
SirStig (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I think martin tyler or whatever his name is, an english commentator is joining the espn commentary for America, I remember seeing a commercial on espn
You're right he is. I completely forgot that. That will be very welcome
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Well it's their World Cup, so I say more power to them. If these South Africans enjoy these horns and that's how they like to cheer then that's great, good for them. I myself would prefer good old fashioned singing and chanting, but again it's their World Cup so how ever they want to support their country and the game is fine with me. And I certainly am not going to say they shouldn't do it, they are there in person, I am only watching on TV so how do we have the right to complain. Besides, nothing can ruin the World Cup it is the best thing ever invented. Maybe some horrific terrorist attack that would cancel the proceedings, but no way can these horns even tarnish the World Cup. If anything I think it will make it better. My mom hates the horns, but whatever I sure as hell am not going to be watching the games with my mom, she can mute it if she cares that much. But I say good for them if they cause a controversy with these horns, if it's what they want to do I support 'em all the way
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
After thinking about it, I'm sure the kids and their parents will appreciate hearing an elongated buzz that may had adverse affects on your mental health than all the other things you could be hearing in the World Cup....

It's annoying. But I know it won't ruin the World Cup. It's a part of African Soccer tradition, it would be unfair to take that away (at least from FIFA's perspective; South Africa has done a lot to accommodate this tourney, FIFA needs to treat S. Africa with an equal amount of respect). I watched almost every game of the Confed Cup, so I wasn't thinking about it by the quarters and semis. If you're watching on TV, turn it down.... Easily done.

And lastly just think about how you would deal with the World Cup in, say, Brazil or Mexico? Where crowd noise is immense. And non-negotiable.
Mastro21 (Inter Milan) 4 years ago
Every country has their own way of showing support, why should this be any different?
SirStig (Arsenal) 4 years ago
No it won't spoil the world cup. I think the buzzing just adds to the atmosphere and is part of South African football. If Fifa took that away then the World Cup wouldn't be showing diversity and a different football culture which is why World Cups are held in different countries every 4 years, it's a chance for a country to show off it's technical prowess in stadiums and not only this but also through their home fans' passion
BigShel (Philadelphia Union) 4 years ago
Well said Sir Stig! And Mastro21, it's called tolerance and respect

Kick4Life - changing lives through football