Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Why Does Germany Always Do Well At The World Cup?
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
The biggest sporting event in the world is 10 days away and I was just wondering why is it that Germany always does well at the World Cup. When you look at past tournaments they've always been up there pushing for victory and winning from time to time. It seems like they have the ability to craft a side that performs well under pressure, especially the World Cup pressure. They haven't been outside of the final 8 since 1938 and I was wondering what do you think is the reason?

Mumbai (Chelsea) 4 years ago
And I respect this team because of this reason only. Their players give best when they play for their counry. They are in different orbit all together and raise their game. Remember German captain Ballack - with broken leg and bleeding he was still leading from front for his country. It is not only football but after two disastrous wold war this country stood up and are power house.

Germania is the country where the players are warrior!
Francesco2286 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Like michel platini said " the world cup is played every 4 years, and the germans play in the finals".... It might be the type of player, something cultural, they are very cold, calculated people, smart players. They play a certain type of football, they have strong defence, and can play from crosses very well because of their height. I believe they always do well because there style of play hasnt changed throughout the years it remains the same, and they play as a team, not relying in individual performances, like other teams.... I. E. Brazil although dunga has tried to finish that and establish more a team play sort of like germany's style of play, a football based on getting results
Fgndfmukyrt (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
They're just an expert tournament team. They've shown so many times that their winning mentality can get them far with very limited actual quality, and next to no stars, they've shown it in 2002 and 2006, aswell as Euro 2008. However they don't always perform well at top tournaments, look at France 98 and Euro 2004, but they can never be ruled out
I heard something very interesting about their selection process, they tend to shy away from selecting big stars because they feel the blame for bad performances gets piled on their shoulders. Without mega-stars the press can't pick on one or two players and so the pressure of performing is shared among the team. The fact that they HAVE been doing well in the past also leads them to tend to continue performing well
I also put a post, about the germans and the world cup but mine was about if they have not split up after wwII would they have more wc titles?
Ooh, interesting! Hmmm, hard to determine.... I'm not sure but it seems like a lot of the talented players ended up in West Germany and there's also seems to be a situation in the Bundesliga where the stronger teams are usually from those areas right?
Yes this is very truem but, East Germany were also the only team able to beat the West German team that won the 1974 World Cup, and East Germany won the gold medal at the 1976 Olympics
Oh yeah! I guess East and West were just two sides of the same coin then
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
It's in the German DNA to be organised and well prepared. That's how they always operate and the coaches and players deal with their responsibilities, no coincidence and no nonsense. They're more pragmatic than emotional in their selection processes and are used to perform under pressure
Rich7 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Yeah I agree with this, they are also very good at studying the opposing teams aswell, attacking their weaknesses. But I also think they just don't like being beaten, it's an historical thing I guess
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I'm not causing trouble here, just pointing out a fact that a few of the best German players are actually Polish, but play for the German side.

"Podolski was born to Krystyna Podolska, a former member of the Polish national handball team and Waldemar Podolski, former Polish football professional and the 1980 champion of Poland with Szombierki Bytom, in the Silesian industrial town of Gliwice (near Katowice), Poland."

Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lukas_Podolski

Klose was born in Opole, Upper Silesia, Poland.

Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miroslav_Klose

There's nothing wrong with playing for a different country than the country of your birth - the Irish side has a few like that, but it certainly helps the German side in this case
Tribun (Bayern München) 4 years ago
Not a few just two, and they were born in Silesia not in Poland as part of the german minority
Yeah, it seems to be a recent trend though.... These situations come from the changing of immigration policies right? I don't know if the recent performances, good or bad, can be entirely attributed to having good Polish players on the team. While they are really good players I feel like the ethos of the team is where their strength comes from...
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
A lot of Poles feel they are basically German because they most often live in or go to school in Germany. A lot of countries around Germany are like that, though. They just are superior in a lot of things for their demeanor and work ethic, maybe even their imagination
Germans occupy the big leagues, yes, but the majority are in the Bundesliga. It's like Spain; when teams succeed in their home-leagues they are better on the international setting. Italy is the same. I think for England it works against them to a point in the ways that rivalries form between clubs and how that affects the players.

But Germany knows how to take good care of it's football, and they do so very well
Yeah, I actually thought about that.... I wonder how much does the club rivalry affect the national team campaigns. It seems that the tribalism of English club football could be a detriment to team bonding...
Exactly! Half an EPL squad is made up of foreigners and then the teammates of the national team are bitter rivals in the EPL. For Spain it's Madrid, Barca, and there's this Fabregas guy that wants to stick in London for some reason. But that's it otherwise; the core of the Spainish national team is within just 3 teams (mostly Barca and Real).

Most of the german national team is with Bayern, and some players have dispersed out into smaller teams, but the majority has either played for or currently plays for Bayern. And we always wonder why they are so well-organized and dangerous....

England has players on their starting squd on United, City, Chelsea, Spurs, West Ham, Villa, Portsmouth, and Liverpool. 8 different teams, 5 of which hate each other. That can't be good for team-bonding.
StefanJay (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I think this is an excellent point. Of course if a group of players has more time on the pitch together then they are going to be a more cohesive team. The ultimate example is of course Spain who's squad is 80 percent Real Madrid and Barca. It is unfortunate that this fact, in my opinion, makes the English game more exciting and a ton more competitive, anything can happen because the talent is spread between the teams more evenly...
Schaudenfreude (Watford) 4 years ago
I will never forget how they were knocked out in the quarters in 1994 by Bulgaria! They aren't formiddable, but they are very efficient (stereotype I know, but sometimes they're true) and they have strong team discipline. They play their best players, no kind of team policy on keeping an equality between the players abilities. It would be a travesty for any nation to adopt such a policy and not play their best players. So that theory needs to be quashed. Some social commentators have commented on how Germany, for a European nation, has a rather collective identity more akin to east asian cultures where when it's for the country, they come together as a force (not referring to the 1930's, just in general) not seen amongst many other European nations
I agree with the collective identity point, but there have been instances where they dropped star players because those players had a detrimental effect on the team. Of course for varying reasons and this is not limited to just Germany but I hear of less squabbling among their ranks.... (or is it because I don't understand German? )
It seems like the attributes they value as a footballer representing the country could be a little different from the attributes they value at a club level. At club level, no-one cares too much about team spirit once you're winning with a crazy maverick player right? I just feel like they go out of their way to prevent this at the national level
Beckham for England is a perfect example of what Germany try to avoid. Every English fan expects Beckham to win it for them, even this time around. He gets injured, and they still bring him along as a mascot. Was it 1998 that he got himself sent off for petulantly kicking out when he was on the ground? The media, the fans, everybody went absolutely crazy at him.

See also: Rooney this year
Schaudenfreude (Watford) 4 years ago
I know it's a different topic, but I truly believe if we got rid of the tabloids then all the sensationalism and even the expectation that we should win, would seriously decrease. They stoke the fire and often create the national psychological environment in my opinion. They are however, a standard part of football here and I can't see much changing that.
In terms of Germany, I think their desire to win is paramount and they always seem to have that steely determination that other sides do not seem to capture. Their brand of football is strong too, I can't say the same for England's internationally
Totally agree about the tabloids. If they can undermine a player or coach before or during a tournament - even if it means the team lose because of it - they will do it. Scandal sells papers
Yeah, I hate it but I think it's to be expected in countries where football is religion. Brazil, Argentina, England and other countries experience a lot of pressure from the tabloids. I don't know why the English press is so vile towards their own team though, at least wait until the games are played right? But be that as it may, if you have a strong state of mind (and are illiterate) what's written in the press shouldn't matter at the end of the day
Think maybe their press gives them less of a hard time then?
By the way, here are some World Cup statistics I found.
In the World Cups from 1930 to 2006:

Germany is placed 2nd. Been to 16 finals, played 92 matches, Won 55, Tied 19, Lost 14, Total Points 184.

1st Place is Brazil. Brazil has been to 18 finals, played 92 matches, Won 64, Tied 14, Lost 14, Total Points 206.

[url=Link: home.netvigator.com/~andrewshe/wcstatistics.html... [/url]

I wonder if we should discuss why Brazil does so well at the World Cup next? Lol
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
In my opinion the reason Germany do well. Is because there German. Perfection is what the Germans do.

Just look at 1990 semi final against England in the pen shootout. Have you ever seen a penatly took like that. Each one was perfection. Like a few comments above says they don't always include the best stars. If you look at England 1966 they didn't have the best people playing for them, they had the best team. Germany do the same they pick players to make the best working team
Another reason Germany are amazing is because of this man haha.

Beckenbauer! Did you make this video? It's pretty cool! I didn't know the Black Eyed Peas were around in the 70s though, lol
Nor did I, lmao. Na I aint that good at computers haha. Good video though
Tanmay 4 years ago
It's got less to do with nationality and more to do with a winning mentality (self belief + high past standards) that are specific to a sport but often spill over. Germany in football, Australia in cricket, Canada I guess in Ice Hockey, Italy in women's international tennis (Fed Cup), Russia in Chess, the list goes on.

Most remarkable I think is Italy in women's tennis. This year, for the first time in many many years (30+) has an Italian woman qualified for a Grand Slam semifinal (singles category). Despite that, they've been winning the international Fed Cup very regularly - in fact they are the most successful team in the world!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football