Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
WHO WILL BE THE BEST PLAYERS OF THE WORLD CUP, 1 FWD, 1 MID, 1 DEF, 1 GL
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 3 years ago
Gk: Julio Cesar. For past couple of years he has been outstanding, and it is a chance to prove his quality on the biggest stage of all, playing for one of the top pretenders for a title.

Def: Nemanja Vidic. I'm being biased a bit here, but I believe Vidic will make best out of his first WC appearance. We are all aware of his qualities, but this time he has great defenders to back him up in national team as well (Ivanovic, Kolarov, Subotic), and Serbia's defence should prove rock hard to any opponent.

Mid: Wesley Sneijder. I was blown off by his performances this season, and I'm under impression that he will show even more in the World Cup, orchestrating Holland's always dangerous striking force.

Fw: Wayne Rooney. Had a season of his life and, knowing his mentality, he will leave his heart out on the field for England to win this one. I just hope that those minor injuries, that he has been playing with, will not prove as a setback.

Francesco2286 (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Yes julio cesar has been fenomenal in the past seasons, expect big things from him, vidic is a rock at the back and he is accompanied by ivanovic. Sneijder wow what a season, triple crown, enough said. Rooney is a beast and all of englands hopes are on his back, he has to perform!
RRajeev (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Rooney    Van Der Vaart    Ferdinand    Are. Green
Van der vaart, and green those are differents picks I like that! Van der vaart is an amazing player, has been forgotten since arriving at real madrid expect him to perform well to get his name back out there!
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Green    Poor guy
Hahahahahahahahh green is def. The top goalkeeper of the tournament hhaahahah sorry
Schaudenfreude (Watford) 3 years ago
Forward: Villa, Spain.
Immense forward with a strong reputation.

Midfielder: Messi, Argentina.
Reliable playmaker and when on form he can carry the whole team.

Defender: Pique, Spain.
Top brass when it comes to defending for both Spain and Barcelona.

Goalkeeper: Buffon, Italy.
Veteran keeper, one of the greats
Pique, had an incredible season, that goal he scored against inter in the semis, he looked like a natural 9 in the area, maybe he has been practicing with ibra hahahaaha
WhiteHartRogue (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
I think he puts ibra to shame as a centre forward!
Grssam (Seattle Sounders) 3 years ago
Keeper: Howard, USA  Defender: Lucio, Brazil  Midfield: Robben, Holland  Forward: Forlan, Uruguay
.... If Robben comes back soon this could be a strong selection
Moussinho (Valencia) 3 years ago
OK, for my players I will pick:

Striker: Diego 'El principe' Milito= Amazing when on form as was evident in the games he played with inter. Whether his performances will change when there's no "trequarista" behind him, we will see.

Midfielder: David 'El Chino' Silva= When on form can be one of the most dangerous playmakers on the planet. Now imagine if he is switching flanks with Iniesta and receiving through balls from Xavi behind him, not to mention the long-ball threat Xabi Alonso has to offer.

Defence: Walter 'The Beast' Samuel= Aggressive, Excellent marking skills, strong in the air, are just few things that could be said about Walter Samuel. But when he makes a mistake can we really expect Demichellis to help him out? He certainly is no Lucio

Goalkeeper: (sorry for being expected) Casillas: Brilliant reflexes, and amazing back four to put his faith in
A player that I had not heard much of, and when I asked before for unusual candidates or surprise players for this world cup, this player could be it.... Ozil the german international I saw him play today and he showed great things, germany won by a land slide it could have been a lot more one sided klose missed clear chances, ozil played incredibly, can wait to see more of him this world cup
What surprised me is how Schweinsteiger has dropped into a deeper midfield role to account for Ballack's absence. I would love to see him on the wings and scoring goals, but for Germany to succeed they need a maestro like they had in Ballack. Schweiny could be Ballack 2. 0.

.... And he's my start player on the midfield! Not sure if I should swap him for someone else, though. He's not going to score or assist much
Oh so many predictions gone wrong , many players didn't play up to their hype!
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Sneijder and Villa are still working out for me
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 3 years ago
And for me.
Alieg (Manchester United) 3 years ago
1 goalkeeper-M Neuer(Germany) 1 defender-G Pique(Spain) 1 midfielder be Schweinsteiger(Germany) or A Iniesta(Spain) 1 forward D Villa(Spain)
Ronaldo, messi, rooney, ribery, kaka all of them combined added up to score only 1 goal btw all of them the best players in the world getting paid the most money added to 1 goal in the world cup...
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Haha the world cup has so many shocks to our system. I really did expect more but that's football for you
Football can be evil, I think South Africa was always destined to be a surprising place
Kushdog21 (AC Milan) 3 years ago
I didn't read this post until today but reading the predictions made at the onset of the WC are funny now. Though it's not to say I wouldn't have picked them myself just that it's amazing how many stars (whether it be because they were the focus of other teams, or just crumbled under the pressure/hype) didn't live up to expectations. I mean now it's a lot easier to guess at this, so rather than that I'll just give an opinion on who I would pick based on performance so far.

Forward: Forlan

Though Villa is also impressive, Forlan is forced to do more for his team (scoring and creating goals) with less opportunities, where Villa is somewhere between Forlan and Klose on the spectrum of goal difficulty. Though Forlan hasn't been statistically a part of as many goals I feel like intangibles give him the nudge thus far as he is the heart of an overachieving team

Midfielder: Schweinsteiger

Filling Ballack's shoes for this team has been done primarily by him, playing out of his natural position and taking on a less glamorous defensive mid utility role. And yet rather than disappear into his defensive duties primarily he's become the orchestrator of that team's offense and been the best player on pitch nearly every game.... Sneijder is a very close second.

Defender: Carvalho

This is obviously a position where value judgment and bias play into it much more with less concrete stats to provide evidence. I have never respected Portugal's national team's style of play, but I have to respect the fact that at 32, the heart of their defence has led it to concede the least goals through the World Cup. Though the Group of Death's offensive stars were a bit overrated, they played the most impressive array of offensive teams and still conceded just one goal.

Goalkeeper: Kingson

Saved their ass multiple times and with Casillas' unusual lapses he's gets my vote (though Casillas has still been impressive)
Rob12 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Forward: David Villa

The only reason Spain are still in this World Cup.

Midfielder: Sneijder

Nice fast pace, skill saved Hollands ass against Brazil.

Defender: Lucio

He has played amazing, and should be proud of what he's done this world cup. Only a few players can do perfect tackle at high speed and I saw him do many.

Goalkeeper: Kingson

Just amazing
Hill (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Forward: David Villa. For the same reason Rob12 said.

Midfielder: Thomas Muller. The man has 4 goals and to me is one of the sparks in the German team. I choose him mainly because he has those four goals to go along with 3 assists. Team player and goal scorer.

Defender: Philip Lahm. He's tracked back extremely well and gone forward really well. Linking the defence with the offense on the right side in a great way.

Goalkeeper: This is a tough one to choose. I suppose I'll go with Kingson as well. He saved their ass a lot. Shame about the Uruguay game
I agree with Lahm. A lot of people think it's all about the center men, it's not. The start of attack is in the defence - Lahm does a fantastic job of bringing forward play and defensive play together
Hill (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Exactly! Glad we can agree on something for once.

I should have thrown Diego Forlan for best forward. He's been way more instrumental in Uruguay's run to the semi's than any other person on any team. He literally carried that team on his back
Hmm amazing we can agree. That's a first haha

I kinda agree with forlan too Villa's been good but it hasn't been all that amazing, Villa has been on the end of all of spain's chances. Forlan has been creating and finishing, he saved Uruguay many times
Hkremixboy (Fiorentina) 3 years ago
Forward: Forlan    Mid: Sniejder    Def: Chiellini    GK:Villar

Kick4Life - changing lives through football