Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
WHO WILL BE THE BEST PLAYERS OF THE WORLD CUP, 1 FWD, 1 MID, 1 DEF, 1 GL
Francesco2286 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Ok this is to try to predict the stars of this world cup, let's pick a player for each position, who is going to dominate on their zone of the field

SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I like this thread a lot
Thank you very much!
FWD: wayne rooney- HE IS IN outstanding FORM THIS YEAR I think HE IS going TO DO great

Mid: I would SAY lionel messi, BUT THAT depends where IN THE field IS maradonna going TO PUT HIM, SO I WILL SAY XAVI hernandez- HE IS going TO bring HIS brilliant barcelona style OF PLAY TO THE spanish SIDE

Def: JOHN terry- WHY JOHN terry after THE scandal WITH bridge I believe HE HAS A LOT TO prove AND HE wants TO prove AND WIN HIS CAPT. BACK, england HAS A strong SIDE AND terry IS going TO BE ROCK solid ON defence

Gk: casillas- THE great spanish goalie, I believe IS going TO BE HARD TO score ON THE spanish SIDE THIS W. [C.] TEAM FULL OF super stars casillas DOES NOT STAY behind LOOK FOR AN impressive performance FROM HIM

And I ALSO WANT TO PICK A surpise player, NO matter WHAT position, LOOK FOR players LIKE alexander PATO, pjanic, AND EDIN dzeko
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
No problem with the thread francesco, but theres no need to type in capital letters, I had to wear 5 different pairs of glasses to read that.... Lol.
On the serious side mate, read your guidelines, no caps, maybe an odd word, but deffo not that.
Cheers
Tony
Hahaha, I had on caps lock than was to lazy to take it off, and I don't know why it came out like that with some words in caps and some in not
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Go easy on the caps mate

Forward- David Villa

Simpley the best finisher on earth. Don't think england have enough to make rooney the best in the world right now with the squad they have. Villa has it all, the support, the mentallity and has already a huge reputation for spain.

Midfielder- Sniejder

I love the way sniejder plays. And the way the whole dutch side perfom. He has already showed us some good stuff in the euros. He is ellegant and his play is ever so fluent.... And he aint scared to shoot one from 19 yards out.

Defender- Lucio

Expierence comes with age. And lucio has been pulling out for brazil for preety long now. Withought a doubt one of the best man markers on the planet, with inters success in the champions league, I can see lucio doing a double act for his country now!

Goalkeeper - Would Have Said VDS but he retired. Has to be Cassias

Just for the sheer determination, and the way he pulls his side to victory with those amazing saves. He is the best keeper in the world
Those are really good picks man, yeah david villa is brilliant when it comes to finishing, and he is def. Top 5 fowds in the world, but he has to share the spot light up top with another great fernando torres, that duo is really going to do damage
Sniejder another great player but I havent seen much of him in the national team, so I can't say very much, but I do know the dutch side is playing great football, along with robben which I believe to be the best in that team
Lucio yes very good player, great defender,
And tell me some surprise players some young or not so known that are going to have a breakthrough perfomance
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Forward: David Villa

Aggh I dunno if he's a better player when it comes to the player himself, but I believe Villa will be a bigger star of this world cup. Unless England go all the way (which is a possibility) But he'll problably bag more goals for spain than Rooney for England because of the Support

Midfielder: Sneijder

It's pretty amazing how much we agree on players huh Sergio? But he's brilliant you gotta' admit. Like a lot of Dutch players he plays the style I love. Fast paced footie mixed with skill and brilliant shots.

Defender: Terry

Personally I still think he's world's best with that tough as nails style, and the experience. Where he lacks though is pace to keep up with fast strikers

Goalkeeper: Casillas

Who else huh? Not in the best form of his life but I think he can prove again why he is the world's best.

Goalkeeper - Would Have Said VDS but he retired. Has to be Cassias
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Forward: Luis Fabiano
On fire right now, scoring almost every game for the selecao. With Brazil as the favorites for the WC 2010, its hard to leave out Fabiano, who is the team's goal machine.

Mid-fielder: Pirlo
Utilized as the trequartista, the position where he used to play in the beginning of the career and unsurprisingly doing well. I just love Pirlo, he's just a sleepy-eyed monster always ready to slay the defence with one killer pass. L'architetto is just as dangerous as free running pacy mid-fielders, even though he got no pace.

Defender: Lucio
Gotta' agree with Sergio, this man is a rock in the back. Such a leader, and has been in fine form for the national side. His forward runs are also equally dangerous, so watch out.

Goalkeeper: Gigi Buffon
Buffon's majestic saves are always a fun to watch. One of the most reliable gloves men in the planet, and for me the best ever. Watch out for some frustrated strikers
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Forward I would have to say wayne rooney, I have a feeling rooney could set the world cup alight, if things go englands way, but a lot depends on how the team perform

Midfield has to be messi, dazzling skills which I love, and beats players with ease.
He has yet to set the international scene on fire, but he's young with the world at his feet.

Defender gerrard pique, I think this lad is a great defender, sorry to see him leave utd for barcelona but it has done wonders for him, and barca are not the same side when he's missing, I think if spain go far, pique will have played a big part in it.

Goalkeeper pepe reina, ok lol, he's a liverpool player, but I reckon he could play a big part if spain progress, and I think he should be in before cassilas
WhiteHartRogue (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
God shout on Pique mate, I really rate him aswell, thinks he's really made strides since leaving united, shame he couldn't make an impact in England
Realmcoy (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Forward: Fernando Torres would have to be the player I'd put my money on as a striker. Even though David Villa is also playing alongside him its just a matter of who will score more.

Midfield: I think Pirlo will be the most outstanding midfielder of this world cup and after him you'll have Fabregas and Messi who more than likely will get lots of goals too.

Defense: Julio Cesar of Brazil. I think he'll have the opportunity to show how good he is since every team that Brazil plays will not hesitate to test him and his defenders in front. Buffon and Casillas are 2 of the best goalies in the world but I think these 2 will won't have it as hard as Brazil, especially in the 1st round
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I am a fan of the surprise pick, as well....

Striker: Certainly the most watched story will be weather Leo Messi can carry Argentina and Maradona to greatness; at the international level with no real coach to speak of, I don't see that happening.

So for a striker I would say Didier Drogba. Now that is a very Chelseaist thing to say. But there is a reason to my madness. They just got a big confidence boost with new coach Sven G. Eriksson, and Drogs approves. The Ivory Coast succeeding in the World Cup would mean great things for the Ivory Coast and Africa. And players like Drogba would have their careers validated. They have the core of players to do it; why not? Bigger upsets have happened.

That's actually not my surprise pick, either....

In the midfield, and this will sound like a very American thing to say. But the success of team USA in the World Cup will come at the hands of Charlie Davies, and weather or not he is healthy and in form.

He played a huge rule in the USA's defeat of Spain in the Confederations Cup, and he is the engine of a winger the US needs to push the ball into dangerous places. After the huge wreck that claimed his friend, and injured nearly every part of his body, it would certainly be the largest comeback attempt from tragedy in this World Cup. If he can carry his team, along with on-fire Landon Donovon and Clint Dempsey, I don't see why a run into the last 8 would be any trouble. Maybe the top 4 even.

Also you got to mention that if he plays well, it's goodbye France. I would like to think that a Premiere side with a past history of American's like Fulham will snatch him up. Or Everton.... Hmm. Him and Landy D. At Everton.... * Mouth waters*

Whoever does will we lucky indeed.

For a back, I want to know first who England is starting. I would say right now their defensive core is either tied with or right behind that of Spains, and if they bring the right men for the backline, then England's frontline will be very efficient. They are a seasoned squad; the average age is 27. But these players have been strong in the midfield; It could be Terry, it could be Upton. It could be Lescott. It's hard to predict how a player will play come the World Cup. But England's back line will be more important to their victory than anything else.

For a keeper? Casillas is great, but I think too often we forget that the America's produce very bright keepers. This one, though, is not from the US.

Guillermo Ochoa has no bigger opportunity to bronze his fame in Mexican history than with the World Cup this year. He is Mexico's number 1 for a reason; his acrobats in goal have at times been considered second to none. I think part of the reason he is still in Mexico is his love of the country, and want to not attract negative media for leaving for a European club. But after this World Cup, I don't know if he could afford to stay with Club America; if he can stop even one major team from filling his nets, he will attract all the attention he needs.

So. Yup.

*Edit: That came out long. Haha
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
And.... Drogba is injured, and had become a huge favorite for top striker, so that part of my post is dead.

Also Charlie Davies did not make the World Cup roster.

Also Ochoa didn't get the start in Mexico's first game. HOW DID SO MUCH change?!
SzakalNH (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Forward: Villa
Only replace the players who will be dubbing him the ball to finish : Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Xabi, Silva or Navas. Add to this his instinct shooting.

Midfielder: Xavi
Master of the last pass, the typical assistant, finish his pass will be Villa and Torres, will cooperate with Iniesta, Fabregas etc. Individually the best playmaker in the world and he play in a great team.

Defender: Terry
Experience, strength and incredible bravery and sacrifice are its greatest strengths.

Goalkeeper: Casillas
The best goalkeeper in the world, supported by a very good defence. (Ramos, Pique, Puyol)
Fadom87 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Goalkeeper: Julio Cesar
Inter's goalie will be backed by a solid defence and a team that can gain the majority of possession against every team, except Spain. Continuously protects Inter with 1-0 scoreline.

Defender: Lucio
My heart says Chiellini or Vidic, but the former may struggle with Cannavaro at his side, like they do at Juve, and I am unfamiliar with how the Serb plays for his national side. Lucio has proven that he can battle the likes of Drogba and come out on top. In a defensive Brazil side, he will receive a lot of credit if they go deep in the tournament.

Midfielder: Xavi
I would like to be different in my picks, but there really isn't a better midfielder at the moment. The heart of Barca and Spain. USA beat Spain because they neutralized Xavi. No Xavi, no Spain.

Forward: Gonzalo Higuain
I believe that Higuain could win the Golden Boot of the World Cup. Only his countryman Messi has scored more goals in La Liga. If Messi plays as a CAM in South Africa, then Higuain will be counted on to supply goals
Now that fantasy football world cup edition is out is time to pick the best! Who would it be
FWD: David Villa.
He's got everything, one of the best goals for games ratio of most internationals at the World cup. Behind him I would have to say either Messi, Rooney or Luis Fabiano they both are two prolifics international goalscorers.

MID: Xavi.
I could probably make this whole list up of Spaniards, I won't but I have to make the two most attacking players of it from them. He is one of the best passers I have ever seen and topped the assists board in Spain and I could see him doing it at the World cup. Can't wait to see him with Fabregas and Villa as a little sneak preview for next season

DEF: John Terry.
He has had a strong season and would make it into any team in the world, I know he is prone to making mistakes with England usually but I can see him having a really strong World cup & hopefully taking England as far as possible.

GL: Julio Cesar.
He has become in my eyes as the best keeper in the world & has pulled some amazing saves this season, Brazil have a really strong defence & that's why I hgave tipped them to win it, but once you get past that defence you have to get past him(which is always a meen feet. I would easily say Casillas but I think he hasnt had an amzing season & Valdes has had the goalden boot for the last to seasons so it might have dented his confidence a bit.
Lampard007 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Forward-rooney  Mid-lampard  Def-terry
Fgndfmukyrt (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
GK - Lloris (FRA)  Def - Lucio - (BRA)  Mid - Iniesta (SPA)  Att - Milito (ARG)
Who would be the surprise player of this WC? Not part of the usual candidates.... (I. E. Xavi, messi, villa, lucio etc....)
I think the dark horses will be players like Michel Bastos, Jesus Navas, Aaron Lennon & Yohann Gourcuff, players that have been doing well in they're leagues and clubs since the last world cup, but didn't really get a look in before

Kick4Life - changing lives through football