Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Which Strikers Should England Bring To The World Cup?
ACMilan21 (AC Milan) 4 years ago
There has been lots of talk about the various English strikers and how they may or may not have a place in the WC.... There are so many talented ones out there, but I think Capello will only limit his choice to about 5 strikers....
I am curious to know who you think Capello should take to the World Cup and why?
I think that Capello should take: Rooney, Zamora, [C.] Cole, Defoe and Owen as his strikers....
Rooney is really important and is a great players so no doubt about that....
Zamora is really underrated and is actually an amazing player. VERY physical and amazing with the head. He is a pure finisher and that is really what England need. He has really been shinning recently and is at one of the higher levels of form in his career so far.
Carlton Cole is just great and is a good substitute.
Owen is really good and has lots of experience, therefore he can really help his team out.
Defoe is really great. He has the speed and the power to make a great attacker. He is very consistent and is just what England Need. I think England should play with three attackers in the following formation
4-1-2-3.... And the '3' in attack would be:

---Defoe----Rooney----Zamora....
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I think he should take Rooney, Crouch, Defoe, Owen and Carlton Cole.... I don't think Zamora is good enough yet but soon enough and hopefully before the World Cup I and of course Capello should take him and I should change my mind. He gets goals!

Rooney and Owen are just pure England legends really and they score. Owen is injury prone but is still good at getting goals and got a hattrick in the champions league a few weeks back, which was impressive and I hope Fabio looks at him and thimnks "yes, I'll take him to South Africa". Rooney hasn't been on his best form lately but he will always be the same good striker and I think he is a definite.

Crouch went out of the picture for a while and Defoe wasn't that good.... Cole just wasn't there. Crouch has come back to play well and got two against Blackburn and carries on getting loads of goals with his head. Harry Redknapp loves him.

Defoe scored a record five against Wigan wearing his lucky boots, I think if he goes to the World Cup and starts he will need them. He is a great player.

Cole has gotten better and better every week and now is a futuristic star for West Ham who has a slight but wobbly chance of getting that last strikers' seat on the plane
Great answer bud!
That's exactly what I was looking for, and you answered very well.... I suppose Crouch is pretty good.... But I don't think he could compete at such a high level again....
But yeah, nice post!
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Rooney - Defoe - Crouch - Bent -
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
He really needs to take five strikers.... Owen
But why do you think those 5?
I guess Rooney is a no-brainer, but why Defoe, Crouch and Bent?
And ManUK, why Owen?
I mean they are all good players, but what stops Capello from choosing some of the other strikers?
Becouse there isn't much other choice IS there
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
.... LOL That's right!
Nizanassar (Manchester City) 4 years ago
Couch isn't that good really
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Darren Bent:He has been amazing for Sunderland. He is the only player to score against the so called big four sides. And he has scored more goals than Torres and Rooney.

Wayne Rooney:This guy is the best english player. So Fabio Capello can not leave him out.

Heskey:England need some physical presents up front and Hesky brings that.

Defoe:This guy is on fire and England really do need his pace.

Owen:This guy is back. Fergie just needs to start him
Mckieyboy18 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Jermain Defoe, Rooney, G. Agbonlahor, P. Crouch 'cause they on form to play and ready to face the rest of the world.... But please I think they won't make it 2 last 4.... Beleive it
SzakalNH (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Crouch, Rooney, Dafoe, Owen that is all
No Bent Crap D:
ECEssien (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Rooney : legend, plays his heart out, probably best english striker currently

Defoe: in the form of his life, tied for most goals in Premier League and like someone said, has the pace

Owen: just pure experience and clinical. He doesn't waste too many chances and can score in big games

Cole: in great form, great physical build and power, hasn't had many opportunities for national team so will definitely give it his all

Agbonlahor: why are we forgetting this guy? (unless there is a reason I don't know about). He's got amazing pace, very young and can finish alright. Just a must have for England.

All in all, IMO, these are players who together can play well with each other as well as being great team players who can set each other up. They offer great variety in skills to so Capello will be able to choose freely which increases England's chances
Bent should be there. Dude he is on fire. He has scored against Liverpool Manchester United Chelsea and Arsenal
ECEssien (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Yea but I don't know i've seen him play a game with England and he just didn't fit into the system. It just didn't flow from back to attack because he kept distancing himself too much and that hurt his chances. He didn't adjust to how the team was playing and at such a big stage, you need players who are smart enough to adjust. I think he's a definite for the future but for now has some maturing to do.... But then again, it was only one game that I saw
Ltm017 4 years ago
I agree about Bent. I would choose him over Owen
Somere (Portmore Utd) 4 years ago
Defoe rooney bent owen
Haules (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Rooney, Defoe, Owen and Cole (cause you don`t have anyone else). In the first eleven I see Defoe and Rooney
Xminer (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Rooney, DeFoe, Crouch, Owen, Cole.... I'll pass on Bent, not because he is not good, just rather have Cole.... And I wouldn't give up Owen or Crouch.... DeFoe will score goals in 2010....

I like Crouch, he's like the tallest man on the pitch in 99% of the matches he plays in, he's madness on corners and crosses, hard to defend him in the air. Rooney and Owen make things happen, and the remaining 2 are pure finishers.... You have so many choices.... Capello just needs to find the right combo for the right matches.

I think JOE has a good team.... I'd like to see them all way the to quarters at least....

Cole instead of Bent. You have got to be kidding me. He is like a jack in a box
Xminer (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Ah perhaps you know better than me.... I do not feel as strongly about Bent and Cole as I do Owen, DeFoe, Crouch and Rooney. I have watched a lot of ManU and Spurs lately and I think those four will function well together in the cup.... But again, I am just watching as much as I can see on footytube and replays on justin. Tv...
Myself (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Bent - rooney - defoe - crouch - owen - [C.] cole
Ciankc (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Defoe, rooney, heskey, and maybe crouch

Kick4Life - changing lives through football