Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Which Country Is In A More Dire State ? France Or Italy?
Somere (Portmore Utd) 4 years ago
Italy won the last world cup so I would expect them to be a treat coming into this world cup but for some reason they haven't shown the strength needed to be even considered a a finalist. If you ask 20 who will win the world cup maybe one will say italy. They need to show the strength that brazil and spain show. Just the name should strike fear into the other team players but they fell way below expectations to me
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Hmm.... Italy always go as underdogs, and emerge victorious. And moreover Lippi isn't as f****d up as Domenech. And, Italy is in an easy group, so getting knocked out will be almost incredible.
So I'd say France
Barracuda (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Domenech = Disaster    But we never know
Ltm017 4 years ago
Doesn't even matter because Italy has an easy group so they will make it out. While France has a harder group and will find it hard to make it out
Realmcoy (Arsenal) 4 years ago
This is true. Italy has it easy in the 1st round.... France is in a bad spot right now and need to step up or they'll be out!
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Wouldn't worry at all about Italy, they never perform their best until it really counts. They certainly have the players to go all the way in the World Cup.
France on the other hand.... Think they might struggle
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
With the exception of 1934, whenever Italy wins any championship, they flopped miserably in the next edition
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
I don't think Italy will win this time around but would expect them at least to the QF
Rossonero (AC Milan) 4 years ago
But this time Italy has Lippi, he own$!
Two countries. Two world cup 2006 finalist. France and Italy.

5 recent Italy friendlies - against Swiss goalless draw
____________________against Netherland goalless draw
____________________against Sweden 1- 0 win
____________________against Cameroon goalless draw
____________________against Mexico 1-2 loss

4 recent France friendlies - against Spain 0-2 loss
____________________against Costa Rica 2-1 win
____________________against Tunisia 1-1 draw
____________________against China 0-1 loss

In 5 games Italy managed a miserable 2 goals, 3 draws, a win and a loss each. While that record doesn't seems all that bad(unbeaten in 4/5 games), its pretty much obvious this current Italy cannot score.

In the 4 games till now, France managed to get more losses than wins. A much inferior record compared to Italy. With the talent that they have, (with all due respect to the opponents bar Spain) they should win and win comfortably. With 1/2 of their recent games ended in losses, the last one coming against China(What?!), are they in a more precarious position?

Have your say...
ACMilan21 (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Also, the key word here is friendlies.
A friendly is not an official game, and is often organized so that new players can be tried out.
I know that Italy had players like Boriello, Candreva, Sirigu, Cassani, Cossu and Rossi.
It is hard to indicate how well a team is doing during friendlies. But I do agree that France and Italy are not at their best. Especially France though
Yeah, but no one wants to lose or rather not win Friendlies either, it would mean that you haven't find the formula yet, and it proves correct. France and Italy are struggling at the moment

Kick4Life - changing lives through football