Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Which Country Is In A More Dire State ? France Or Italy?
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
With all the latest news back and forth with these two clubs one of disgrace and the other of sheer under performing! I think France is in more dire situation BUT in WC standards France can still do something of worth, as Italy have now suffered a crucial draw by New Zealand!
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Anyone that has been keeping track of the recent drama surrounding the france national team has to agree that france is in much, much, much more dire straights than italy. After sending nicolas anelka home, the france football federation has finally done enough to force the team members to strike back. Today they refused to train in protest to anelka's sending home. This then resulted in the resignations of team director jean-louis valentin and fitness coach robert duverne. Things are certainly not looking good for this team
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Both are terrible old and lazy in my opinion and will be lucky to get out of the group stage. I said this far before the teams made it to South Africa and so far I have been correct. France is probably worse off though from what I've seen they lose to much lesser opponents Italy draw more often but both have huge goal scoring problems.

With the manager and Anelka stuff coming in the news now it looks far worse for France though. I'd say they will be lucky to get out of the group
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Italy has been drawing all(almost) their games this year.... If they draw their third game, they'll be lucky enough to scrape through into the last 16 if NZ don't win
Sam (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
Italy still winless in 2010- looks like nothing is going to change any time soon
Kiwoli (Inter Milan) 4 years ago
Both teams are not doing great, I can't say we should be surprised as the signs were there even before the World Cup. With the recent turn of events, there's no doubt France is hitting rock bottom - they can still go lower, losing to SA comes to mind.

I still do not fully understand the incompetence of management in refusing to change their ways, which carried down to the coach who made some rather strange choices for their squad. I'll repeat a comment I made about Italy earlier, the team is Juventus in disguise - due in large part to Lippi - and they didn't have the best of season at home. Which begs the question, if you were going to use a club team as the national team, why wouldn't you choose Roma?
MORJO (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I love you italy
We love you back, Adidas
Actually Italy is sponsored by puma lol
I know
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Oh the profile pic I feel stupid
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
The Guardian have a good article about how the French press are treating the French team. Every word of it is accurate

France Soir
"Clearly nothing can be expected of Les Bleus. Their achievements are shameful: France is the laughing stock of the world."

Le Parisien
"To have the worst football team at the World Cup was already unbearable. To also have the most stupid is intolerable … The mutiny at Knysna will forever remain the Waterloo of French football."
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
If this was my team, I would be ashamed.... Honestly, watching france recently is actually making me feel better about being a canadian...

"With Anelka on a flight to Paris last night, insisting that he has retired from international football, Sochaux coach Francis Gillot lambasted the attitude of the French players, observing: 'Their attitude is both pathetic and disgraceful. Today I am thinking of the Irish – they should have been there in our place. France is the laughing stock of the world.' "

Source
Golaire (Bayern München) 4 years ago
Damn, the pathetic showing of the French has made Henry's hand ball 100 times worse. Had they played well and with spirit they could have redeemed themselves. I bet Ireland would have played with great spirit, done their country proud, and made it out of the group. I am not even Irish but it still makes me really frustrated. FIFA should learn from this disaster
Apparently, Italians are willing to die for their team.    .... Oh, sorry, I meant dive.
I wonder why they like italians so much?
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago

I wonder why they like the English footballers so much?
Apparently They like Messi too  
Anyway, at the end of the day my point is proved.  'Italians are over-looked'
They do dive, but I agree so does almost every footballer.

Diving is an "accepted" part of football, and I jest with my comment - didn't you guys like my play on words?
Cheerio France, don't forget your toothbrush for the flight back home. Hope you had a nice week in South Africa
Describing France as pathetic is an understatement, I look forward to seeing Sakho, Sissoko and Capoue in four years time, hopeful they won't be a bunch of kids who doesn't appreciate what a privilege it is to play for your country
This is a great chance for France to rebuild
I laugh at them

Seriously though, they where sad, pathetic losers. Honestly, they had the easiest group and they came in dead last, it's insulting to the country. They where the worst team in the tournament
StefanJay (Arsenal) 4 years ago
We know they are talented, but what a complete lack of drive and passion showed by France this year. Not that it is any surprise, but when a whole squad doesn't perform, you have to blame the manager and his system. With the talent they have they have every chance of coming back strong under Laurent Blanc
Their main problem is that Henry is gone (too old), Anelka is gone (retired from Intl football after this mess) and I'm sure two or three others will be gone too
Ltm017 4 years ago
ManUK I don't know what you are looking at but France did not have the easiest group. That group was a fairly tough group. Very competitive so I don't understand where that statement is coming from. They bombed out bad.... A disgrace and embarrassment themselves and their country.

Honestly Uruguay is very good and will go far. South Africa the host nation didn't perform their best against Uruguay but they are a very competitive team.... And Mexico lets not forget Mexico who if not for bad finishing would have killed England. England were just lucky. In fact Crouch saved them because of his height. So I would like to know which team in that group you are calling easy? Except for maybe France...
They barely got through the qualifiers and therefore were not top seeds, and could have been drawn against Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Germany, or a team like that. Instead, they got uruguay and Mexico, and the hosts. I think England have (had?) the easiest group, but France was certainly not in the hardest group by any means
StefanJay (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I don't think they had a very hard group although it did shape up to be a competitive one. Mexico ended up going through, and rightfully so, but they didn't play their best football and a fit, focused French side could/should have beaten them, so I agree with you there Ant. Even though they have key players that will not be around in four years they do have a lot of replacements for them in the same positions.... Who for some reason didn't make this years team. Next WC we will see Nasri taking the place of Henry and Karim Benzema is a really talented young striker who will no doubt improve in the next 4 years and Gourcuff(spelling?) is still only in his early 20's. Only time will tell, but good luck to the French they will be back
France will be back. Hopefully. Domenech? Hopefully not
They should stay away, It kills me to watch ugly football
Well maybe not, but that's not really the point Lmt017. The point is they by no means had a tough group
Ltm017 4 years ago
They might not have had the toughest group but their group was not easy. I don't know what you guys see but it was a very competitive group compared to most others. Also any team in the place of France in that group would have a very hard time coming out. That includes Germany, Spain, Argentina, Brazil.... Etc.... You just really underestimate teams in that group. No one really gives credit to Mexico or Uruguay because they usually just fly under the radar compared to the bigger teams like the ones named above. People don't rate them such as you guys.... Its very obvious and that is why you think it was not a hard group.

I really would like to know what group was hard to you guys because I honestly don't want to misunderstand anyone or even laugh. If anything the weakest team in that group was France and honestly different manager different tactic it would have been a different story for them. South Africa even had a bad day against Uruguay but Uruguay is a good solid team one of the best teams in this WC
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
France had the easiest group? Please be patient with ManUK he's very young and knows nothing about the game. Didn't Uruguay win the world cup? And if Vela was on point England would have had their butts whooped? As a matter a fact Group A is the only group with 2 world cup winners. So easy was so far from France but so easy for teams like Spain, Italy, Netherlands, Argentina and England. I would say England Had the easiest group and struggled. By mere stupidity from Chile's goalie Spain went through. In your mind honestly do you think these group were harder than France's group? Did you really think Italy were going home or Spain and England would have to use the last game of the group to seal their place in the round of 16? Wow! Hilarious stuff here on footytube
LOL, why bring world cup history into this? Lets put it this way Uruguay won the world cup 60 years ago that has nothing to do with todays world cup. Don't get me wrong though Uruguay's a class side.

I'm not saying nobody in their group can play good football I'm just saying their group wasn't exactly the hardest. Kingsick this was really already discussed, why turn my two words into a long winding discussion. Ok my choice of words was poor but I was just exaggerating on France's pathetic display.

As if you know me well enough to know I know nothing about football Kingsickhead. When you post you act as though you know everything, and everyone else must be wrong if they disagree with you. No wonder you get so many rude votes

As for you Ltm017 you make some very good points, and I agree with you. Though I know a lot of the quality in the group I watched 90 mins of every match. I'm just emphasizing on how France where utter failures I don't care who they where playing against in the end. A National side as big as France should get through, same with Italy
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Ok as long as you correct yourself because if France's Group was easy then Spain Italy Argentina Played against 11 muffins!
France group wasn't the easiest, but you would have bet your money on them getting out of the group stage. Not crashing. Based on recent rankings, they are among the top 10 in the world. Whereas Mex and Uruguay were based in the 10-20 bands. S. Africa? Probably the worst rank teams in the world cup(I didn't rem where they are). So just based on the fact that as a previous edition finalist, as well as an elite team in the world rankings, the bet on them must be getting out of group stage, probably until the quarters. So for them to perform so horribly meant that they have failed themselves, and not because of the opponents. (Last rank team in the group beat them for Christ sake!)
Francesco2286 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I think this topic has already answered itself, with the whole france being out of the world cup and the whole fiasco that happened.... And italy is about to play and they have a good chance to pull through.... But than I thought some more, and I realized france has an outstanding team, filled with very good players, and most importantly very good young players, and players that could play the next world cup.... On the other hand we have not seen any good young talent come out from italy, and they are playing a team that was on the verge of being old last world cup, so they are even older now! And def. Not going to play next world cup.... I don't see the young talent in the italian team, and that wouldve helped if they can start playing some good young players this w. [C.] but I havent really heard of any new young amazing italian player, france has a lot of good players at a young age, and a ribery that could play next world cup, it would be his 3rd he would have the experience, gourcouf, toulalan, nasri, gouvou, benzema, lloris, evra, clichy, abidal, gignac, malouda, sagna, dyaby, mexes, and more can play next world cup so all they need is a good coach that can pull them together and they have the talent on the other hand italy is missing the young talent
All their talents stayed home to watch wc2010...
Criscito and Bochetti are talent, and I know of at least Santon, Balotelli, Paloschi and Rossi (plays in Spain) who should come through the ranks a little while later, they are all still young and should have a lot of international football in them
Like what I said in the beginning, Italy can't score. France are horrible in the defence, and everything has not change one single bit. Italy can't score to save their ass. A world champions that went home in the first round
After the high of 2006, Italy fails in their next edition ridiculously
They where almost as bad as farnce for most of their match! shocking really
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
In the end, France was worse than Italy.... But only just! It's a hard thing to take when you come to the end of an era and you're not prepared for the transition. Next 4 years will see some radical shake-ups in both countries
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Blanc a good manager, and having won the world cup with france and doing well at club level etc he will already have there respect
CHELSEA61 (Footytube Moderator) 4 years ago
In all reality neither of these teams were going to win anything this year. The Italians going out in their last game was a surprise. But all of the cheating that's gone on in the lead up to the french qualifying and in the hilarious Italian flops in the group stage showed us that the talent in both sides was few and far between
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Juno the prophet! This topic is 2 weeks old, before the WC had even begun. Pretty impressive foresight Juno. The World Champion and the vice-World Champion are probably the 2 worst teams in this WC. Unbelievable

Right, and unless we get a fairytale ending- as in Japan/USA/Ghana/Chile winning the cup-, the two countries along with the failure of so many African teams when the tourney is held on their own continent is really the story so far
Debate settled. Both teams need to start from scratch and especially Italy, needs to install youths into the system.
It'd be interesting to see how Prandelli manages
Might want to add a few more teams to this list after some recent results

I think wayne might end up in a trailer park after this, though he won't be staring at ribery
Few countries put as much pressure on their national team as the English, and Capello didn't do his job as a manager by letting it get to his players. Still, Rooney could have done better, he was basically invisible for this entire campaign. I don't think they are in as much trouble as France or Italy though, they just didn't have a clue against Germany

Kick4Life - changing lives through football