Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Which Country Is In A More Dire State ? France Or Italy?
Rossonero (AC Milan) 4 years ago
BTW guys, Brazil and England has an older squad in the WC!
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Italy always has talented players that they use in the blandest way imaginable; cross and deflect. They all have individual talent, but they only ever need to deflect a ball into the goal. It's boring. When Di Rossi scored, it was a precursor to their tourney. Italy lives and dies on their back-line, though, and an offensively-strong team can obliterate their ancient back-line if they are physical. I think if a Canavarro or Zambrotta gets injured, they are baked.

France can at least play tasteful football on occasion, but they are failing right now. They have some youth, but their stars are clearly outplayed. All they have to do is fix their tactics and actually care. Then they, like Italy, have the talented core of players that can hurt other teams. Not likely though.

Please just lay down, Italy and France. You are killing football
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Italy's style a bit exaggerated, I must say.
And no, what you said about the squad depth was nowhere near being right, as Italy arguably have one of the strongest bench.... That is a huge plus point for us.
To be honest, if Zambrotta and Canna get injured, its a blessing in disguise for us
.... I didn't challenge their squads depth. I said that their national side uses tactics that aren't very entertaining. You have a lot of.... Experience on the bench. Or old guys, lol. And some younger stars, I give you that, but Italy has always just pushed out wide, crossed it in, and hoped for a deflection from one of the many talented targets
Agree on the part that we don't entertain the neutral and the opposite crowd.
But, no, not most of our goals have come from deflection, we do rely on crosses for our goals, but they are put into the net not by deflection or something.
And, well, teams like England too scrap and create a mess to put the ball into the net.... Crouch's goals are way worse than Italy's goals. Not to mention, England's goals nowadays comes from crouch mostly
Grssam (Seattle Sounders) 4 years ago
France is in huge trouble. Mexico and South Africa both looked very strong in the opening match and France could go home with out a point. Italy on the other hand has the Kiwis and Slovakia waiting. They can still easily win their group. Paraguay is a good team, but Italy should have gotten a second goal. Uruguay were never really scared by France, even when they were down to 10 men
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Perhaps the answer is in a video?    
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
(bursting out into laughter....)....      
I facepalm everytime....

Pathetic. It says a lot about him and Italy's squad as a whole....

Edit* I take it all back! Left foot of the defender+ De Rossi's heel= reasonable fall. That guys heel is smothered in the defenders foot if you watch. And it looks painful. Prag is right this time.
Well, listen.

It wasn't a dive, if you watched Pato's injury this season, it was like the same(no contact, but still fell and his hamstring f****d up).... And you call that a dive too?

Try to know the truth, and don't let De Rossi's italian nationality to hide it
(bursting out into laughter....).... Again.... After watching it twice...
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
prag it doesn't matter what you say it's still funny LOL
Prag, Couple with this and you'll know why ....

4 years ago
IMHO France is performing worse so far. They remind me of a similar situation during Euro 2000, when several (I'm not a racist, I just mention skin colour) black Dutch players got pissed off and left the team in the middle of the tournament. Maybe France does not have this sort of problem right now, but they seem to be stirred as well. Gourcuff being Domenech's mole in the dressing room, selfish Anelka, half of the team demanding Henry in the starting eleven while the other half doesn't want it....

However, I have to admit that Italy is underperforming as well. The amount of inaccurate and missed passes (60% of accurate passes by Marchisio!) was extremely huge and the defence looked uncertain (where is the famous catenaccio by the way?).

Obviously both France and Italy are great teams and we have to wait for two remaining group matches to judge, especially that both teams also have started previous World Cup in a bad style and still they managed to get to the final.
CHELSEA61 (Footytube Moderator) 4 years ago
When it comes to this world cup France are facing stiff competition in every game. Italy look to have an easier route to the final game.

As for future world cups Italy aren't putting out the same kind of talent France are
As of today, France.    Thank you Mexico.
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Well its looking like france right this minute after their defeat to mexico tonight, and I can't see anyway back for them, at least italy still have a chance, frances chance has gone>>>>>>
The curse of Ireland has work well indeed. LOL
Somere (Portmore Utd) 4 years ago
I think today answered you question. The problem is with the french football federation, they sent domenech to the world cup with him having nothing to lose and expect to get good results. The moment you announce he will lose his job after the world cup, he no longer cares how the team perform, he is just serving out his days as manager especially since a successor has already been announced
Well that shows an absolute lack of character on his behalf. If I was told I was getting the sack after the world cup that would make me work hard to end my legacy with glory.

I think the blame is equally shared between the coach who has no tactical expertise or man management skills, and the players who are self-obsessed petulant egomaniacs that act like five year olds.

Shameful behaviour, shameful results, shameful World cup. I'm just happy that for once that a balance of sorts has been created. France cheated to get into the World cup, and now they are claiming handballs, offsides, all kinds of rubbish. In reality, they prove that a team of superstars does not make a superstar team
ACMilan21 (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I think that France is doing really bad.
Italy is sort of performing badly, but not nearly as bad. The Italian team plays quite well together, and their only real problem is attacking. They never really shoot, etc.
As of next year, Prandelli will be the manager, and he is great. I'm sure he can fine tune a few things....
France is different. They have potential, but Domenech is just a disaster. They need to change a few things as well, but are definetley way down there.... They are in more of a dire state.
Guess8again (FC Shakhtar Donetsk) 4 years ago
Interesting subject. Although both teams are struggling badly at the moment I think Italy have bigger problems, although their group standing doesn't show it. I feel that France doesn't need to change the team so much, but that they need a coach change. Italy on the other hand need a new coach, and an entire new generation to fill the spots of the 35 year olds dragging their feet on the field. I would like everyone to know that every year in which my country (Romania) hasn't qualified, I have cheered for Italy. This year however, once I saw the final list of players and noticing that even Giuseppe Rossi had been cut, I realized that I will have to cheer for another team, not because I feel that Italy have very small chances of winning this WC, but because the play style is frustrating me and I am definitely not a big fan of Lippi
They won the WC06 with Lippi, so Lippi has persevered with some of them. So much so he looks stupidly stubborn at times...
England England England
Somere (Portmore Utd) 4 years ago
At the time of this post england was playing well but I think we should officially add england along with france and italy.
England still has a great team but for some reason there seem to be no chemistry, maybe the club rivalry is still there. Or maybe capello is making wrong decisions with his team
4 years ago
No, they just play like they don't really care. The only player that seems to care about the game is.... Heskey who even risks his health to win the ball and do as much as possible for the team (he's by default the same sort of player as a defensive midfielder, but at front - creating space for Rooney, assisting, struggling with defenders, basically a guy that does all the hard work while others get the standing ovation), no matter if he's starting an attack or helping the defence. Despite all the laughs at him, he's the only guy that deserves respect for his performance so far.

Supporters in Poland sing "why do you play if you're lacking ambition" (it rhymes in Polish). Maybe that's what English fans should sing instead of "God save the Queen"
Golaire (Bayern München) 4 years ago
The French players are apparently refusing to practice today, its funny how much national character affects how a country performs. This will never happen to the Germans.
France are going to go home without scoring a single goal
That would have been some feat by their standards. LMAO
Some quotes from the French camp after the refused to train and the senior staff have resigned and gone back to France

"fff delegate Valentin just said 'players don't want to train, I'm sick of it, I'm resigning and flying back to Paris'. "

France team director Jean-Louis Valentin:
"It's a scandal for the French, for the young people here. It's a scandal for the federation and the French team. They don't want to train. It's unacceptable. As for me, it's over. I'm leaving the federation. I'm sickened and disgusted. "

"France refused to train on Sunday because of striker Nicolas Anelka's expulsion, according to a letter written by them and read out to the media by coach Raymond Domenech. "

As an Ireland fan, I'm not happy about this, just disappointed that our place in the finals was wasted on this bunch of egomaniac prima-donnas
4 years ago
By the way: it seems that Italians are really ambitious as they want to prove that no one should underestimate their potential to be a team in a more dire state than France or England

Kick4Life - changing lives through football