Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Where Are All The Goals In This World Cup ? Are We Heading For The Lowest Record Ever????
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
This is what we had in the past editions of the World cups.

Uruguay, 1930: 3.9 goals per match
Italy, 1934: 4.1
France, 1938: 4.7
Brazil, 1950: 4.0
Switzerland, 1954: 5.4
Sweden, 1958: 3.8
Chile, 1962: 2.8
England, 1966: 2.8
Mexico, 1970: 3.0
Germany, 1974: 2.6
Argentina, 1978: 2.8
Spain, 1982: 2.8
Mexico, 1986: 2.5
Italy, 1990: 2.2
Usa, 1994: 2.7
France, 1998: 2.7
Korea/Japan 2002: 2.5
Germany, 2006: 2.3

At the time of this post, its half time for the Spain vs Swiss game. Assuming the game ends in 0-0 again, then the reading would be 25 goals divided by 16 matches so far and it yields a disastrous 1.562 goals ! ! ! ! !

Even if Spain were to score 3-0 by the end of the game, after one round of the tournament, we still finds this tournament under 1.8 goals per game.

What in the world is going on? ? ? This is hell. Anyone still loves defensive football? Or cautious football? Come-on, rile your countries up to attack now ! ! Are we entering a new ERA in the 2010 ? Where a tournament can't even break the 2 goal mark per game? ? ?

Goals.........No......

What's your take ?
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Looks like a steady decline in scoring as the years roll on
LOL, because in the early years, formations like 2-3-5 or 3-3-4 are common place.... Imagine every one playing strikers and no one bother to defend.... Things has change alot since then.
The current match Spain vs Swiss, Swiss seems hell bent on 7-2-1 formation. Good thing for them, they scored a goal. Bad thing for us. Boring as hell
Dare I mention the Jabulani ball? Or the constant drone of the vuvzelas? I think for the players on the pitch there is alot they are not used to going on out there. As fot the Jabulani our team got a few this summer and they do sit up quickly. They also tend to not want to spin as much making it harder to curl the ball around the wall. When they said they were making a new ball for this world cup I suspected this might happen. Its not really an advantage for anyone, but it has made for some extremely boring football. France v Uruguay gets my vote for most boring match so far
I put forth one theory.

The success of defensive football. Right. Success. A slow death for football right now is for the defensive trend to carry on.

Fifa should change the length and height of the goal post.... Bloody hell!
Joeymac (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I think it also has something to do with the first game. No team wants to lose the first game so there is probably some more hesitance to go forward and risk a counterattack. But like juno said, it could be a testament to defensive football
Even the Kings of Football - Brazil has adopted Counter attack as the main tactic in their game play. Who else is playing attacking other than Chile, Germany and Spain?
Charliehenry (ryo miyachi) 4 years ago
Its possible we could see one of the lowest scoring WC ever, for a first game why play so defensive first game should be go all out for the win really the first matches should be the most open. Although a big problem might be the ball and the altitude affecting the pace of matches but over all very poor games so far
When they show an instant replay of a shot on goal watch carefully the spin on the ball. There's almost none even on the most wicked of shots. The ball tends to float upwards almost all the time. I really think that the ball can be blamed as the cause. These players all have a very fine tuned muscle memory from years of practice with a heavier ball. Add the lighter ball plus altitude and you throw a big wrench into the mix
From what I know, the ball is not any lighter. There's a minimum weight required on Fifa's tournament balls. But I'm not so sure with all the pattern on the exterior of the ball.... Seems true that the ball doesn't spins much...
Charliehenry (ryo miyachi) 4 years ago
Well the commentators have been saying during matches that all you need to do is tap the ball and it will go flying maybe altitude affects the flight of the ball?
Our team bought two Jabulani's to use as game balls and they feel lighter. I haven't actually weighed them or checked to see if the weight is printed on the ball somewhere but its like kicking a beach ball. Not so much of an issue for us old dogs but for those guys who are used to the balls used in club play I can see how it would make a big difference
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Hmm the problem is all the 'minnow' teams are resorting to a ruthless physical football, and hence the goal drought. And they obviously have no other options, how can we ask them to play tasteful football, and put an end to their dreams of world cup glory(I mean making it to the next round)?
True. And what can the big guns do? Or rather, what will the big guns do? Ever since Big teams like Chelsea and Inter adopted defensive football to beat Barca, I have said so, that I don't blame the small fries playing defensively, but sooner or later, Bigger Countries and clubs will also adopt defensive tactics to counter the small fries and other opponents altogether. Since putting 8-9 man in defence is no sins, Brazil has also adopted counter-attack as their main weapon.

Get ready guys! We are onto the worst World cup ever. Witness the History in the makings
DPR Korea v New Zealand in the final? (1-0) on penalties. Could it happen?
Yes......I would never forgive Dunga for shitting on the Samba,where's the good ol' fun gone watching Brasil?
Even the Dutch are stumbled by the physical dominance,they....Are forced to withdraw their Total Football.
Spain?They...Try to and are playing yummy footy,but no,they have no tradition,and didn't seem to take their chances serious enough.(considering their performance against swiss)
And.........That is all!
You are totally right,we are witnessing a history in making....The worst WC ever,maybe?

LOL, can anyone comes out with the worst possible outcome of the last 16, and the quarter finals, semi-finals and final preceding to DPR Korea's wc2010 Historic win?

Lol
Arron (Arsenal) 4 years ago
It's simple really. Half the teams like North Korea etc, no they aint going to win against teams like Brazil, Germany etc. So they just defend and hit on the counter now and again.

The goals will come in the 3rd game of the group stage and the knockout stages of the World Cup cause you have to win them games. Until then expect another week of no goals
Yeah, and at 3rd game, teams will get even more uptight because its do or die now. So you wanna defend like hell or lose qualification into last 16? ?
Yea but it's like this in every world cup. Fifa blame it on the hot weather etc effecting game play aswell, and have said they will only choose the next world cups in cold countires
South Africa is winter now if I'm not wrong...
Southern hemisphere.... Its winter there right now. It was 3 degrees celcius for the England match
Yea and it was -3 last night for Brazil game, but it is still like 40degree see in the afternoon matches
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Think the goals have invisible walls in them
Hey hey hey! All the goals are coming now! Keep on rolling boys!
Yeah, the tournament is getting better by the minute, thank God!
WGTNPhoenNZ (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I expect some more goals in the Netherlands - Slovakia game tonight. England versus Germany, made for an exciting match as well!
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
15 goals in two days of the world cup, wow the knockout stages are heating up
CanonsofArsene (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I think with this WC, we have seen all teams become so much more tactically aware.

But I think that can only be a good thing - better defence can spring some negative connotations, but then the attacks are all the more imaginative and the goals even more thrilling to watch
HangTime (Chelsea) 4 years ago
The ball did help this tournament get some goals- plus bad ref took some and gave some. I think all teams are better in defence now. Defence wins championship. Italy did it in 06 when they only conceded two goals. One from pk and one from an own goal
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
It seems as if the games are starting to open up really nicely, some brilliant goals have been scored in the knockouts, the goal from Tevez was ridiculous, and the pass from Sneijder on Robben's goal against the Slovak's was world class, not to mention the finish. I think in the group stages it is somewhat tough to score, because teams are hesitant to go forward and get caught out. In the knockouts there is more urgency, because it is do or die, and teams are more apt to take the bull by the horns instead of sitting back and absorbing pressure. There are no draws in the knockouts so there is more desire to win.

Great post though Juno, I am glad that there have been more goals recently. A goal and a half a game would be a treacherous ratio, 2010 would be looked upon as the worst WC in history. But now I think it will be seen in a better light, there have been some fantastic moments, and we should be seeing more this weekend with match ups like Brazil vs Netherlands and Germany vs Argentina.

However the goal ratio is still pretty bleak. Argentina, Germany and Brazil are the only countries with a 2 goal a game ratio or better, all the others are below 2 a game. And given those teams have some pretty good defence I think it is safe to say that in those matches there is probably 2.5 to 3 goals. I did some math and if I am right the goal ratio has actually gone down. 16 teams have played four matches, 16 have played 3 matches, which means every team has played 3.5 matches times 32, equals 112 games played. I only count 123 goals, so the goal ratio would be just under 1.1 goals a game. Definitely the worst goal ratio in history by a long shot, I am not very good at math, but I checked it a few times I am pretty sure it's right, which if it is, is kind of sad. Like I said there have still been plenty of great moments, but statistically this could be a disaster, here is where I got my data.

Link: www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/teams/goals.html...

Kick4Life - changing lives through football