Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
What World Cup Lives In Your Memory?
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Ever since the world cup first started in 1930, when it was held in uraguay, and the host country won it, there have been some great world cup competitions.
With the world cup cancelled during the second world war from 1946-1950, it was started again with the first tournament being held in brazil in 1950, this the first time the british teams had taken part since they had pulled out of previous world cups because they didn't want to play teams they had been at war with previously.
1966 I remember watching the final live on tv, I was only 8yrs old, but I still remember it well, and it was great for england to win it on home soil...
And there were some great world cup tourneys after that, but my favourite world cup of all time was argentina 1978, when the host team won it beating holland 3-1 in the final, that was the first time I had seen the south american passion for football, the ticker tape welcomes, the noise, the colours, all made this the best world cup I have ever seen, by a long way and the colourful scotland fans played a big part in it.
I have never seen it replicated at any world cup since, and I will always remember argentina 1978.
1982 was also a good year for me when northern ireland shocked spain, in spain with a 1-0 defeat of the hosts, but never went much further, but at least we beat the host team.
So whats your favourite all time world cup competition, I'm sure not many of you would remember the 1978 wc, but there have been some crackers since, right up to italy winning in germany in 2006
What year sticks in your mind?
Btw, heres the best goal ever scored in the world cup finals since time began....Lol

And check out the sights and sounds of argentina 1978, absolutely fantastic.

Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Yeah, '74 and '78 were heartbreakers for Holland fans. Holland undeservedly lost to Germany in '74 and Argentina is heavily suspected of cheating to reach the finals in '78, which they won with luck. Holland got their unenviable name of 'post-hitters' here in Belgium afterwards, and they lived up to it in all tournaments afterwards.
Not to mention that the greatest play of that time, Cruijff, felt forced not to join the WC because his family was taken hostage for a while. He only recently confirmed the lively rumours were in fact true. What a dreadful thing to do to a player like him
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Even though I was not born. England vs Brazil 1970. Bobby Moore defending was amazing. Even Pele said he the greatest defender he's had to face. Also my first world cup I went to in France 1998 just because I got to see Maldini score a goal. Like you said though there are many. Holland vs Germany 1974 or 1978 can't remember the date but great games between them
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Italia 1990. Ireland's first year qualifying for the world cup and something that I'll never forget. We managed to get through to the quarter finals somehow and eventually became the team every neutral fan supported. It was incredible. Almost everybody on every street in the Republic had banners, flags, bunting on their houses. During the matches, if we got a goal, people would rush out onto the streets with pots and pans, trumpets, anything and make an incredible noise. It's something that showed me exactly what football can do for a nation.

Which makes it all the more sour to know that we won't be going this year, thanks to Thierry Henry's wonderful fair play
I remember that world cup well ant, ireland did themselves proud, and as you say, they were every neutrals favourite.
As for henry, he's a pillar of society, the gutter society, great sportsman, and I hope he's remembered as such.... Cheat
Great topic by the way, I hope loads more people have special World cup memories
What match was it? , there was a big flare up on the sideline because they kept the sub waiting forever, john aldridge I think it was.... Italy? .... Usa?
Ah that was in 1994 I think, USA. They made Ireland play at midday in unimaginable temperatures (for an Irishman) and then, through stupid red tape and people with clipboards, the officials on the sideline wouldn't let any of the Irish players on the pitch have any water, even in a break of play. Dangerous to their health, let alone stupid. I walked around Vegas once and had to literally run into shade. I can't imagine playing football in similar situations (think it was Orlando).

By the time it got to the next match and John Aldridge was trying to sub on, and they let the other player come off but wouldn't let Aldridge on because a FIFA official snatched away the substitution form before the 4th official had seen it, it had turned into a complete mess. They banned Jack Charlton (manager) for pointing that out.

I have no doubt whatsoever that incidents like this, and the fact the Irish pointed them out to the world, mean that Ireland still get shafted in tournaments, like when they suddenly decided to seed the world cup qualification groups when it appeared that France might play Portugal. We all know what happened then, and how the handball was ignored by the footballing world.

Goes to show what happens behind the results, really.

Vivaldi (AC Milan) 4 years ago
USA '94.
I was only 9 yo and had never watched a football match before, but that was a turning point. All those great teams, giant players like Baresi, Baggio, Romario, Batistuta, Stoichkov, made me smell the real magic of football.
It was love at first sight, and since then I'm completely mad for footy
1994 was special for me too. Ireland qualified again and we managed to beat Italy in the league stages, 1-0 with a sublime lobbed shot from outside the box.

These kind of moments are far and few between for Irish fans, so we have to make the most of them!
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 4 years ago
It would be France '98. First time I truly got to cheer for Yugoslavian (back than) national team. Our country came out of sanctions caused by the war in Bosnia, and that WC was something special, since we were not allowed to participate in WC '94, and I was way too young in 1990, so I remember fragments of that competition.
Unfortunately Edgar Davids scored last minute winner for Holland in the round of best 16, and that was the first time I cried (but not the last) because of the football game
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Germany 2006 and Italy 1990 stand out in my mind. Germany because Trinidad qualified for the first time and had an okay time. Even though the players didn't get past the first round all of the players received 1 million dollars each!
Italy was cool because all of the games were so exciting! And there were so many fun memorabilia you could get like toys, stickers, mugs At the time Baggio was everyone's favourite player so watching him play was amazing!
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I was thinking of the WC '98, when I was just 11 and didn't really know anything about football except how to play it, a little. That WC introduced me to football, more so than most players I now love. I remember I was on a holiday in the south of France with my brother, sister and parents, watching some of the games in your typical cosy French pub in the centre of a town. Hundreds of enthused French surrounding us, all cheering for Les Blues, as they managed to eventually win it all with their spectacular 3-0 bashing of Brazil in the finals.

I remember it was the first time I actually really enjoyed watching football on television. Somehow, even though I played football my entire life, I never cared for professional games. But Zidane and Ronaldo, still the 2 best players of the 90's and the beginning of the naughties IMO, were just mesmerizing. The atmosphere was also perfect: as a kid there's nothing better than going on a holiday with your family, I've got nothing but happy memories from every one of those days. The French audience was of course thrilled: they played great throughout the Cup and all of that happened in France itself. And the dream final everyone was hoping for did occur and was won in style.

To be honest, now that I think of it I enjoyed watching football more than I do now, because it was something special, something new. More of an experience than going to a live game now. And because I lacked any form of knowledge of players and tactics, I watched it as only a child can: no prejudices, simply enjoying the flow of the game
Jimmybreeze (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I love that that moment happened in your life, I think your account has linked together a beautiful picture. The simplicity, the beauty of it.

My first World Cup footballing memory happened in the build up to the Senegal-France match in 2002, in the playground outside my block of flats, and revolves around two things. First, the loud clang of the broken window my wayward, misbehaving football made, closely followed by the sound of a housewife's house shoes meeting the pavement in a chilling rhythm behind me as I ran screaming ''Mama'', holding on for dear life onto the life I didn't know for how much longer I'd have. I survived unscathed and never felt happier watching a France match. But to this day I carry the guilt of having not reimbursed the woman. Maybe this summer; I don't have the money, but I will break it again, but this time face the music and build her a new one with my bare hands
Barracuda (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Well its 2002 korea & Japan world cup for me, that's the first world cup I ever saw. Some of the tournament favourites like Argentina and reigning champions France were knocked out in the group stages lol.

Maybe there has been better world cups, but that was my first and best
Airconjon (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Got to be 1966 really, hasn't it?    
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
The 1978 World Cup was the first one I watched (at 9 yrs old) and it made a lasting impression on all your senses. (See my profile pic.) Since then I've been a fan of Argentinian football. That Ricardo Villa and Osvaldo Ardiles moved to Tottenham after that WC also cemented my love for Tottenham!
The other World Cup I really have the strongest memory of was 1986 in Mexico. I had left home to study in another town in Norway, living alone in a little flat and allowing myself to stay up at night and watch almost every game. After having skipped school one day, I had to give the teacher a written explanation for my absence. Knowing that the teacher was football mad I simply wrote Scotland - Denmark 0-1. He looked a bit surprised, then smiled and ticked 'OK'
Jimmybreeze (Manchester United) 4 years ago
This is just what I needed. Thank you
RonanKnows (Arsenal) 4 years ago
France '98 purely because it was the first World Cup I can remember. Some parts are of it are crystal clear while others are a bit hazy (probably because England played so shite!). Who can remember Nigeria's 3-2 over Spain? Batty's miss?
TelGOLD (Celtic) 4 years ago
Italia 90 for me - as a 5 year old it got me hooked on football.
It was such a dramatic tournament with lots of tension and penalty shootouts.
Ireland got to the quarter-finals which was amazing and England v West Germany was a real nail biter - thankfully the Germans won

Kick4Life - changing lives through football