Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Were USA Robbed Of An Essential Three Points?
ACMilan21 (AC Milan) 4 years ago
After watching the game against Slovenia this afternoon, I think that it is fair to say that USA had a perfectly valid goal in the second half. Maurice Edu scored a legitimate goal which would have put USA up ahead, but was not validated by the referee. The loss of two points may be very costly to the USA....
What do you guys think about this cancelled goal?
Is there a reason it was cancelled?

NB Will put video up when I find it....
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Of course yes. I screamed like a little girl after the goal, and screamed like a mad man after seeing the goal was ruled out.
Clearly onside, no tussling going on between the players in the box, and still the goal was disallowed. Not funny, but pathetic, and tells a lot about the Referees.
He blew his whistle already, when the ball was floating in the air.... Mysterious....
The Curse of the irish demon still chasing?
I quote a friend on Facebook: (....) congratulations ref from Mali, you are now the most hated man in the USA
BigShel (Philadelphia Union) 4 years ago
@Pragathish I have been reading your comments in world cup live and I have to say you have been very objective thanks for that. @ACMilan21 It has just been reported on espn that the referee says the foul was on EDU who he says comitted a foul as he broke free of his mark. Two other US players were tackled in the box on that play and no foul was given. The mysterious handball on Findlay where the ball clearly hit his face. About a month ago we had a discussion in US chat about the fact the US can not expect to get any calls their way as they are still considered outsiders on the world football scene even though they enjoya number 14 Fifa ranking. I honestly and sadly believe this to be true. Fact: football/ soccer is not the primary sport in the US which many world football fans are quick to point out. My question is why does this matter the dedication to the game as displayed by the US team is evident. So why is this still a talking point? The Bias begins off the field on the fan level and permeates into the game itself. This is a team that beat Spain best vs Best and took number one Brazil to the edge before finally surrendering to their dominace, I believe that if the common belief is the US are just a bunch of amatuers then yes that attitude can and does creep into the minds of the officials
4 years ago
The USA should have been down to 10 men after 10 seconds. Clint Dempsey clearly elbowed. It makes a point look great, to me
Playa3c (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Netnerd, yet no one seems to point that out or make an argument out of that like they have over this. Ref's always commit mistakes and always take the easy way out by calling in favor of the defending team when theres a corner or free-kick
Dempsey play was a foul for sure a straight red no the referee made numarous bad calls both ways during this game but none were as game changing as calling back a legit goal on a phantom foul
So you're saying that being a men down is not game changing? We can go back and forth on how bad the ref was, but had y'all been down a men we prob wouldn't even be talking about a comeback
Joeymac (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I disagree that the dempsey elbow was a straight red, every player when jumping out for the ball puts their arms out to protect/balance themselves. Dempsey never did look down and target the slovenia player, his elbow just happened to hit, all he was doing was trying to get balance/height
Ben (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Has anyone else noticed his official FIFA profile......    
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Lool haha I'm not sure I would trust him in the World Cup finals even before his calls against the USA
I don't even know if that volleyball fact is legit, he didn't recognize that findley used his head, not his hand. Maybe he was having a flashback lol
Sovietski05 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
The Slovenia-USA game was a very well played game. One of the best games I've seen so far actually. It seemed they were equally playing, with a 2-0 score at half due to fractional mistakes. I think anyone watching would have guessed that the scoring would continue into the 2nd half.

The US showed true class in the comeback.... However they failed to capitalize on so many opportunities. The Slovenians had a great start, the US had a great finish.

That was a goal, no question about it. But this is the nature of the beast. I always think to myself in these situations, that if the team capitalized on every other opportunity, or at least one other opportunity they wouldn't be at the mercy of such calls. One shot game winners in a way are amazing but always under the scrutiny of pressure. The best way to avoid it is to win the game period. Other than that we get very exciting and entertaining games with speculative finishes.

Good game, and now the group opens up to a scramble.... Slovenia can still be knocked out with this result with both the you. S and England advancing
Ltm017 4 years ago
Wow people are hilarious! This is the world cup! I know this is not your first. Please start realising that this is the way it is. Things are going to get called wrong and sometimes your team will end up on the wrong side of it. This is the world CUP! I just hope no one in their right mind expected the world cup to come and not have questionable calls or mistake made....

Usa along with many other nations before them were not on the right side of luck when calls when against them! Move on....
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Still I can't seem to control my feelings, my word, how can a clean goal be disallowed? And also this would make things worse for the US....

Sorry, I can't help, I rant alot
USAUSAUSA (Los Angeles Galaxy) 4 years ago
@Ltm017 - I only hope that whatever team your rooting for knows this type of reffing during this CUP. Perhaps then I'll get the chance to post a "I've been around longer than you" type of comment. I'll say this though, had the US played the 1st half with the same intensity as the 2nd, we wouldn't be having this discussion. We would be celebrating a US victory
Ltm017 4 years ago
LMBO pragathish I would pay to see that because I believe you! Passion is what it is all about I understand! But I just want everyone to see that this is not the first questionable call and the match before this was crazy worse even.... This is just the beginning lol....

Wait until two of your favs go head to head and you don't know which way to turn or which call to feel bad about.

But it was a fantasic match! The best match and I was at the edge of my seat too! LOL

Sorry to all US fans I know that must have been a heartbreak but this is how it is.
Ltm017 4 years ago
@ usausa hahaha if you only knew!

I'm just enjoying the ride right now.... No pressure just watching teams and enjoying the excitement!

Look forward to this. Landon Donovan had one of the best goals of the world cup! And may well be the best goal!
LT don't worry I will not "Put you on blast" (wink) But I'm really not happy with you right now. The call had nothing to do with bad luck at all it was a clear bad call. Bad luck is when you hit the crossbar and the ball rebounds off the line. This was a robbery. Lol
Ltm017 4 years ago
Bigshel! They will find out soon enough

I'm sorry and I will really make it up to you I should really be sensitive to the fact that US just got a really bad call and cost them a lot for the world cup. Trust me I know the feeling.... Of disappoint and being upset I mean

I know it hurts and I'm sorry really but I was just saying that bad calls like this come by the dozen. US is now a victim of it sadly it continues...
Ok I get your point. Now about that cake....
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
It's somewhat unsettling to have the goal disallowed but nothing can be done so all we can do is look ahead. We still have a very good chance of advancing if England beat Slovenia and we beat Algeria we are in, which looks like the likely outcome. This being said could have used the three points. What a comeback USA though eh? Got to love their spirit. Went nuts when Bradley scored that goal
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
One thing is for certain now, it won't be undone. There is no explanation for the whistle and the referee does not have to explain his call. It stings but Ltm017 is right. This is football folks. With the way France qualified and no actions taken by FIFA did anyone expect it all to change overnight? FIFA haven't changed a thing about the game even after they toyed with the thought of putting another ref behind each goal, but didn't. No instant replay anytime soon and the "Beautiful game" has yet another scar. Maybe its where I live (Canada) that makes me say why no instant replay but when the sport is still allowed to be played this way without the help of technology I start feeling that some of these results are being predetermined. Prove me wrong FIFA! Put instant replay in effect and make the refs responsible for their calls by reviewing them with the ability to overturn bad calls and Goals!
Airic (Arsenal) 4 years ago
It was terrible referring the whole game. How can you call a foul on edu for touching a forearm when Bradley and Jozy are getting bear hugged and tackle?!
I agree with Chelsea61 I feel like more and more corrupt and bad calls are ruining the game. Instant Replay FIFA!
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
No it can't ruin the game haha. Just part of the game really, it's alright these thing happen in football. We just have to be positive and take the next three points and we should advance. You can't blame the referee, we fought hard in the second half and it was incredible to watch, but if we had played to our ability in the first 45 minutes, there wouldn't be much of a controversy. Yes it's an outrageous call, but what can you do but play better and harder
Pocketg99 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Robbed: Yes, Essential points: not entirely
That's true. But if they do qualify, it is really the essential difference between first and second place meaning a potentially easier team in the next round
Ganjalo (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Chelsea61, you put it very beautifully. The refs make these calls for a reason, I hope, and criticising them simply undercuts confidence in their ability. Whether or not what the ref thinks actually happened is invalid, as he is a ref and even if he gets it wrong he is, currently, judge jury and executioner. Although we can come up with all sorts of terrible things to say about the ref, we cannot truly know, outside of him telling us, that this call was not made in good faith.

So where does that leave futbol?

As with baseball here stateside, instant replay has been offered as an option in game deciding moments. The problem, not only with baseball and futbol but with almost all regulatory sports bodies, is offending the refs. They are viewed as an integral part of the game, the human factor of the rules, and conservative sports regulators want to keep it that way. Until the men at the top change ideologies, we will have to live with situations such as the one we have here today where the result and the truth were differed by the need for total confidence in officiating.

In summary, if you want to change things, yell at FIFA, not the refs. Don't undercut confidence in people who's job it is to be God on the field. Undercut confidence in those who aren't changing the game to give us MORE confidence the gods are making the right decision
This Beautiful game should be played the full 90 minutes. One cannot expect to depend on a bad call from the ref to determine their faith. Had the team played most of the game the way they did the second half they wouldn't have had this problem. The team set themselves up and then want to depend on the ref? Great teams play football 90min and depend on themselves and no one else. These calls happen all the time. Definitely, no one was robbed, as a matter of fact I don't even know why this argument is up, the team is the one to be blamed
Granted the US did not play a full 90 minutes of quality football but this is not the first or last game in this world cup where this might happen but I am sorry it in no way nedated the fact that the referee made a bad call and took away three earned points from the US. Clearly Slovenia did not play their best for 90 minutes and they know they were lucky to escape with a point
Sure Slovenia didn't play their best for 90min but that not what this debate is about
MrPoopyPants (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
"Definitely, no one was robbed, as a matter of fact I don't even know why this argument is up, the team is the one to be blamed. "

If it was your precious Mexico, you wouldn't be saying that. I think your "play the full 90min" argument is stale and boring. Teams can have bad halves. Making a comeback takes conviction and spirit. There was no visible foul on the disallowed goal. You would be just as angry if it were your team.

"The team set themselves up and then want to depend on the ref? "

This statement is ridiculous. Any two teams playing in the world cup should expect to have better than average officiating. The only thing we expected was a reasonably well called game. We didn't get that. Our match was poorly officiated. Very poorly officiated, in fact, and it is perfectly reasonable, at this level of play, to have higher than average expectations of the officiating
Very well put mr. PP
@playa3c
What if the score was 2-1 slovenia at halftime, and the US scored 1 in the second half, would your argument change? It doesn't matter the manner or order in which the goals were scored, the fact of the matter is, the US were robbed of a goal. If you say, bad officiating is part of football, so is having a bad half and then a good half. If you say the fault is on the team, the credit for the comeback should also be on the team. Like mr, pp said, your argument about playing the full 90 is not correct. The simple fact is slovenia scored 2, and the US should have scored 3
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Yeah, America were cheated.... Unbelievable call by the ref...
HangTime (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Well, can it be called disallowed when the whistle was blown before the goal? The main thing is that, why did the ref blew the whistle. But, should had been a goal
The ref only blew after the goal had been scored. He blew the whistle on a supposed foul by Maurice Edu, the goal scorer.
Here's the video, to show how legitimate the goal is.

It's funny because none of the Slovenian players are on the ground complaining, they kinda know that they have taken a goal, but the dumb ref decided to not allow it.....
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Usa should have been down to ten men for 89minutes of the match. Karmas a bitch
Hill (Arsenal) 4 years ago
No they shouldn't have. There was zero malice in Dempsey and he went for all ball. Yellow sure, red no
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Fifa world cup rules state otherwise
If the rules were followed to the fullest, a player in every single game would be sent off after every single challenge in the air
If the rules were followed to the fullest, a player in every single game would be sent off after every single challenge in the air

Kick4Life - changing lives through football