Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
WC 2010 - Man Of The Match
Shuds (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Netherlands vs. Spain  
 Your MOM below
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
It's a tie between Johan Cruyff and Marco Van Basten to me. When they rushed on the pitch after SPain was leading 1-0 in extra time, they turned the tables for the Netherlands. After a stunning piece of skill from Cruyff and Van Basten's fantastic bicycle kick to score the equalizer in the 92nd minute, they kept torturing the Spanish defence and scored one more seconds before full-time. Cruyff with a great combination with Marco, whose assist was slightly too high and far but in a remake of Cruyff's legendary phantom goal against Atlético Madrid in the 70s, Johan leapt up to an Olympic height and with a kick that Jacky Chan would envy, scored the winner
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Lol jeroen, I dunno MOM No one stood out in the game, it was all just ugly
Charliehenry (ryo miyachi) 4 years ago
Yeah I didn't really have a MOTM because no one was really good the only good player was Robben but then he didn't score from TWO of the best chances of the whole game
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
^ Robben was the worst player on the pitch, why do people think he's good, he didn't score because he can't use his right foot. There were no man of the matches though
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
Very hard but for me is Iker. He saved the 1 v 1 with Robben and kept his calm and cool throughout the whole match
If it wasn't for Iker the game would have changed and I'm not sure if we would have been able to chase a goal. My vote goes for San Iker
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Probably howard webb in my book, he did well to keep players on the pitch, or it could have been a complete farce.
So howard webb for me, no matter what robben says
Uruguay vs. Germany

Your MOM below
ZIZOO (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Diego Forlan: injured and still playin and fightin. Almost came back again last min.
Schweinsteiger had a good game but cost his team a goal so Forlan it is
I liked the little uruguayian defender fucile, I thought he did a great job
Has to be Fucile, if it wasn't for it the Germans would have been up by much more
Forlan is true hero for his country, he's goes back in triumph
For me it's Boateng, his work rate on the right is immense, his crosses are top-notched. It created the second goal and nearly created one for Kiessling too
Forlán to me: he scored a brutally difficult volley and nearly equalised with a great free kick on the bar. He's so good when he's in form like on this WC
Anfieldhero (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Forlan was the one who carried his team throughout the tournament. He is rightly decided the player of the tounament
Charliehenry (ryo miyachi) 4 years ago
Forlan or Muller
Forlan he is just an amazing player this World Cup
Germany vs. Spain
Kickoff: 18.30 GMT

Your MOM below
ElPeloHernandez (America de Cali) 4 years ago
Guessing on
Schweinsteiger....

FutureMUplayer (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Villa will be the HERO!
Puylo was awesome Spain was awesome....  Why didn't Pedro pass to Torres that last play anyway they still won.
Puyol for sure, he was a rock as usual and scored a brilliant goal that got España to the finals for the very first time. Puyol Puyol Puyol !
[account-removed] 4 years ago
Without a doubt.... Carles puyol...
Puyol the caveman was brilliant the whole game
Xabi Alonso for me, he was awesome and was a threat throughout the game. He stopped a decent amount of German counter attacks
I thought puyol would have been spains weak link, as the match before he was rubbish and well exposed, but I got to hold my hand up and say he had a great game, so it s carlos puyol for me too
Uruguay vs. Netherlands
Kickoff: 18.30 GMT

Your MOM below
FutureMUplayer (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I believe that Netherlands will beat Uruguay like 3-1 and Robben will be the man for this game!
MOTM was Gio for me: that stunning strike was one of the best ever WC goals I've seen. Apparently it went 109 kmph, and it went straight into the far top corner, from about 35 metres. What a scorcher.
Of course that's not enough to claim the MOTM award in such a scintillating game, but his defensive and definitely offensive input was enough to give him the edge over Robben or Kuyt
Robben, Gio, and Sneijder all played well for me, I dunno it's a stalemate for me
ARod9 (Sevilla) 4 years ago
Robben
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Sneijder
Sneijder
Van Bommel, he was immense in the second half
Giovanni van bronkhorst, not just because of his great strike, he had a fantastic game as well
He did indeed he played like he was 22 again lol
Paraguay vs. Spain

Your MOM below
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 4 years ago
Saint Iker! WOW what a match! Viva Espana!
Casisas, Brilliant PK save
San Iker it is
Casillas did have a good one
Argentina vs. Germany

Your MOM below
Wants to say Podolski. But seriously Messi played well all round, but it is proven once and again one player can't lift the team, he should've played on the right.

So, I choose Klose
Klose, He's going for Ronaldo
Schweinsteiger
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Shweinsteiger, ran the midfield, 2 assists, combined with Boateng on the left to keep Messi away from his favoured position
Schweinsteiger by a street, closely followed by thomas muller, what a great display from a 20 year old
Hill (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Schweinsteiger as well
Schweinstiger showed skill at the end, muller did great creating the second and scoring the first goal, I have to give it to klose for his two goals
Schweinstiger is the MOM for me, he totally controlled the game. He also made sure Messi had a poor game
Yeah, definitely Schweini, Basti fantasti. His defensive contribution was as good as any good DM can give to a team and his offensive contribution was fantastic. It looked like he had the energy of two players, the defensive skill of a great full back and the offensive qualities of, well, Schweinsteiger. Brilliant performance
Kiwoli (Inter Milan) 4 years ago
No competition, definitely Schweinsteiger. He ran rampant through the pitch (unchecked by the Argentinians for some weird reason), and his two assists were top class, especially his run into the box beating three players that set up Friedrich - and also let's not forget that he had a part role in containing Messi.

I would also like to point out Poldoski, although quiet in this game, was always willing to track all the way back to help out in defence, a very good move from the manager I suspect as without space, Messi is not as effective
Uruguay vs. Ghana

Your MOM below
Hard to say, it wasn't a game where one man particular stood out (except for that atrocious handball save from Suárez - where are all the handball haters now? Ant ).
I'd say Muslera, thanks to a solid performance and 2 saved penalties, albeit horrbly taken penalties.

Mensah and Adiyiah (and the Uruguay player who kicked the ball a mile over) should be ashamed of their penalties. A 10 year old kid takes them better on training
Soccergal293 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Suarez! Or Muslera for a good penalty shoot out...
Suarez actually, he was heroic and evil. Forlan played well too
Suarez
Uuuuhhhhh, suarez cause ghana would have advanced with the goal and in the end uruguay came on top
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Brazil Vs Netherlands.      Felipe MELO!    He basically sends the Dutch a lifeline with that own goal.
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago
The popular choice is likely to be Sneijder. I reckon it was Van Bommel, did his job perfectly in not letting the Brazilians get any moves going down the middle other than the one goal. Pulled the strings in midfield and rarely gave the ball away.

Not only did Melo screw up Caesar's punch and concede, he walked away with the red taking any chance of a Brazilian revival with him. He's in for a shitstorm back home. Ought to run back to Europe, quick !
I don't think it was an own goal, it was going in anyways. But a huge mistake yea
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I've always said this, Melo is overrated and not all aggressive players are Gattuso. Even Gattuso knows his limits and will never kick a player like a maniac. Shame.
And b******s to the coach for believing a player, who even can't pass a towel
Kiwoli (Inter Milan) 4 years ago
Melo would be the "people's" choice. The proper one would probably be Sneijder, but I think Kuyt deserves just as much credit, he provided that crucial flick on for Sneijder's header goal (of all the ways he can score, this was the most unlikely, and he created an own goal in the very same game!) and kept Maicon relatively quiet while creating chances himself, a very fair trade off.

Not very impressed with Robben's overly theatrical moves though, they were fouls but he didn't need to do all that
Moussinho (Valencia) 4 years ago
Dirk Kujt gets my vote. Nobody seems to notice how hard it is to silence Maicon - the world's best right-back. Maicon only delivered 1 cross and was ineffective and so was Dani Alves. Class job defensively
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Prag, Melo is the passer for Brazil's first goal. Can't be too bad with a defence splitting pass...
Ltm017 4 years ago
Yeah but Juno he took that back with a own goal and putting his team a man down!
I thought dirk kyut put a good shift in, as he has in all the games, solid
I'm very happy to see Kuyt gets so many votes here. Goes to show you people know football and don't just vote for the spectacular player or the goalscorer. Van Bommel is also a good choice, because he made a huge impact, although mostly with professional fouls and unsportsmanlike behaviour. Both Kuyt and Van Bommel worked really hard and regained possession countless times.
My vote goes to Kuyt as well, because he constantly interfered with Brazil's players setting up attacks, especially in the 2nd half
I'd say Robinho for first half, Alves for 2nd half. Sneijder overall.    Sneijder gets my vote
Sneijder
Wesley Sneijder, I think he's going to be the player of the tournament
Priquiav (Manchester United) 4 years ago
DAVID VILLA! (:
RealFan (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Torres.... LMAO
Spain vs. Portugal

Your MOM below
It would have been villa, only for the portugese keeper eduardo who was brilliant, so although on the loosing team, its eduardo by a street for me
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I would choose Villa he kept going and going at the Portugal defence the entire game
Eduardo was awesome, I gotta' give it to him and for the whole tournament too
Although I feel Villa played an excellent game, Eduardo was the man today
David Villa without a doubt
I wouldn't say Villa either: he played very well and was once again the decisive man, but he wouldn't have been if it wasn't for an excellent Eduardo. He gets my vote.
Fifa named Xavi MOTM, and he was excellent too: once again bossing the midfield and giving the assist to Villa after a pass from Iniesta
HangTime (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Was it xavi's assist? Hope so.... He's my star mid in my dreamfooty team. But I don't think they counted it as an assist from him. Didn't see it in yahoo stats
I just can't wait to see how villa will do in barca. Villa, messi, neista, xavi will dominate. Can't really say about ibra...
I just can't wait to see how villa will do in barca. Villa, messi, neista, xavi will dominate. Can't really say about ibra...
Eduardo
Eduardo looked amazing
Paraguay vs. Japan

Your MOM below
MariusV (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Santa cruz I think was the MOM for me, but honda got the actual MOM
Cruz threatened a lot - I'd agree marius
Honda, although he technically did not score he was a constant threat
I would say Antolin Alcaraz: he was pretty good today amongst 21 other average players. Good defensive presence: his positioning was great, as he headed away several crosses and intercepted passes throughout the game. I may be a little biased because until recently he played at my favourite home team: Club Brugge. He's leaving on a free transfer now, and his good performances in the WC leave me with mixed feelings
Honda, he worked overtime that match, causing mistakes to be caused among the defence by keeping the pressure on
Honda played so well
Brazil vs. Chile

Your MOM below
Ramires
Moussinho (Valencia) 4 years ago
Robinho. Goal+Assist x getting rid of marker=MOM
Juan
Juan as well: the first goal, a great header right under the bar after he got rid of his marker on Maicon's corner kick. Maicon himself was great too. Juan also bossed the Brazilian defence. I really wonder how the Netherlands can get passed 4 of such brilliant defenders. Hope they do though
Robinho for me
Netherlands vs. Slovakia

Your MOM below
Gotta' go with robben
Wesley sneijder for me
Sneijder
Robben
I want to say Robben, because he was very impressive so short after returning from injury, but some of his great dribbles (cutting in from the right, lots of slick and fast touches so no defender can get close without committing a foul, aiming for the top right corner every time - Messi anyone?) ended into nothing too often. His passing wasn't good and I hope he can play brilliantly against Brazil.
Sneijder was the MOTM that game: an assist and a goal combined with another overall impressive performance
Robben
Argentina vs. Mexico

Your MOM below
Tevez, what a strike I mean you can't 'em better
I know tevez scored two, one was a peach, but I thought higuain was a threat the whole game, and led the line well
Hmm I though both were a threat constantly just The goal took Tevez over the top for me
Tevez
Tevez, easily. He was all over the place. That man has the stamina of a horde of elephants
Tevez, no question
Germany vs. England

Your MOM below
Thomas muller for me, great for a 20 year old, or else the ref, for ending englands agony
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Ozil or Muller
Ozil, he was everywhere
Muller
Müller: 2 goals, coolly placed shots. He did what a German striker should with chances: finish em. Very impressive run so far from the young German
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 4 years ago
The Ref...
Soccergal293 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
LOL @AyyamS5
Oezil

Kick4Life - changing lives through football