Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
USA V. England - Match Of The Century
Gbherron (Seattle Sounders) 5 years ago
The first thing you people mention is, "Match of the Century?" Well, this is what I say to you. Currently, the states lead the entire world in ticket sales, and although I haven't checked the facts, I would put money on saying that Englandare next in line. Second thing, footytube, from what I've seen, is mainly British, but Americans make up at least 40% of the site. I'm pretty positive that no one will be on the site when these two sides clash. Thirdly, although Nike hasn't formally spoken out yet about the USA 2011 kit, this has been leaked:

Link: www.footballshirtculture.com/10/11-kits/usa-world-...
It includes the traditional white, but with a darker stripe across the chest, supposedly there to commemerate the 1950 jersey with a similar design. That 1950 team staged the "upset of the century" over England. US coach Bob Bradley brought this up in the post-draw interview, with much intrigue.

Link: soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/708320/...
Kind of bizarre how we end up with each other, eh? So, I create this thread for predictions, personal motivation, and general banter leading up to the most anticipated game of the century. Cheers to the US, England, and one hell of a World Cup
Lukas (Chelsea) 5 years ago
It'll never be anywhere near being match of the century
Juno (AC Milan) 5 years ago
You gotta' be more careful in chosing your title billing. Even if the current 2 most in form superhouse(Spain and Brazil) meet up, it might still not be billed as match of the century by many...
CHELSEA61 (Footytube Moderator) 5 years ago
First of all this is no-where near the match of the century.... Not even close.... Not even an honorable mention. I'm afraid you obviously think the United States deserves more credit than they get but I'm sorry to say they have always been a midlle of the road team and are not now nor will they soon be considered a world power in football.

Secondly England are the seeded team and will be wearing their whites so United States will be wearing their away dark kit in this game
Hill (Arsenal) 5 years ago
What do you mean "You people"?!

And also, yeah, NOT match of the century. We (the USA) would actually have to be good for that to be true
PaulieMANutd (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Easy on the century Dude.... It's just a group stage game! England will win end of story!
Big9al (Newcastle United) 4 years ago
I think the matches of the century could be happen if england, USA, australia, canada are in the same group. It could be very "interractive" match.... Hehe LOL
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
People who say this is the match of the century most likely have some sort of mental problem, just because they have a bit of history does not make this the match of the century.

That statement frankly does nothing but piss me off. What an overstatement. Yes it will be an interesting match with with Americas recent improvment and good results as we saw in the confed cup, but imo Englnd have been incredibly strong under capello.

Good match Yes, England favourites - can't see why they wouldnt be, match of the century - no where near
Nice pic of rooney in your av
I was messing ok you weirdo and why the hell would you have a picture of my mam as your avatar  
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I agree with Adamaus 100% (albeit without the rudeness). America has gotten better in the past year but England won't be sweating it too much. Should the USA win, well then it'll be just like when they beat Spain - life moved on
SirStig (Arsenal) 5 years ago
That jersey is terrible, I can barely see that stripe going across the chest, why don't they just make it a solid blue stripe? It's better than a transparent stripe. I really liked the one we wore at the 2006 world cup though, with the two stripes going down.

I don't think this is going to be a match of the century either. England are way better than us. And besides we still don't really have that full recognition as a world beater, sure we beat Spain but that was almost a fluke, if we played them again, we'd definitely lose. We had the right mentality that day, but we just don't have it every game. Plus we're missing one of our best strikers and it is a huge difference without him and Bradley can't seem to find a proper replacement. I mean why is he still calling up Eddie Johnson? He ruined his career by going abroad and not working hard enough to fight for a starting place.come april-may, Bradley should look at more MLS players as they'll be in form prior to the world cup and should be match fit.

However, despite all this, it can be memorable match only IF we BEAT England
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
It'll be a good match, hope US makes it to the round of 16 at least. I've seen worse jerseys, honestly
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
So, 60 years ago, USA beat England - that's the build-up footage covered.

I do think it has the chance to be an exciting match. I do think there is a very slight (~10%) chance USA could win it. I know the match will be hyped as some Boston tea party event, and the importance of it will be completely exaggerated in the US media.

However, lets be completely honest here. It would be more than generous to call this match of the week, let alone century. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong and its a corker of a match. However, my gut tells me England could play it in a low gear and still cruise to a win.

Ltm017 5 years ago
That's funny! Boston tea party! . I had some of the same thought too when I read this! Lol
That'd be hilarious, but the media will definitely label it as some old colonial battle
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Ant is very observant: that's exactly how it is being marketed. It's irritating.

And do you know that the US national team's Nike-sponsored campaign is "Don't Tread On Me"? WOW. How annoying can we be? You can't tie an ounce of political irony to that without being extremely annoyed. For some reasons I am more than willing to let the US lose that match. I still want us to win for the sake of the sport in the US, though. We'd all be better for it
Yogan (Chelsea) 5 years ago
God people, get some sense into your brains. It isn't going to be easy, but I don't exactly believe we are going to use. As Ant said - I have no idea why we are all worrying, even if we lose we will surely still get a 2nd round place and besides - that was 60 years ago!. Our group certainly isn't the group of death. Brazil with Portugal is a stun to fans but England and USA, well the result shouldn't be in doubt. England are the better side.

Of course the USA will want to win it, but there isn't any point in mimicking their win with a replica kit of then. They won't be able to hide their disappointment after the final whistle
Neonseong (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I guess in a sense to Americans it could be the match of the century.... Expect I'm American, and I don't see it to be too special. I'm rather more worried England will end up just running all over the US team. Sure the US team did outstanding in the confederation cup, but the US team is really young. They make a lot of mistakes and during the Brazil game the American team just swarmed the box.... That was the defence and remember the outcome? Brazil won, aw shucks. Plus seeing how England performed during the qualifiers, England could play without Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, and Rio and still beat the US team. The US team couldn't even qualify to the WC as the top team in the North American qualifiers.

So I guess the US team will just need some great luck and pay off the refs to expect a win against England
MrPoopyPants (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
"The US team couldn't even qualify to the WC as the top team in the North American qualifiers. "

What are you talking about? We won concacaf. Or are you saying that the winner of concacaf doesn't deserve to go the WC?
Ciankc (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Probably not match of the century, but will be an exciting and entertaining match. Go usa! Also brasil vs portugal should be good
Tony (footytube staff) 5 years ago
Hardly the match of the century? .... I could think of hundreds of fixtures to overshadow usa v england.
An interesting match yes, which england should win easily, in my opinion
Zzlatan (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Yeah.
That would be an intresting match.
If united can show some magic football against england team.
England squad is so strong.
Best midfielders defenders and hell yeah! Strikers....

But not the match of century.

It would be like UK vs USA, gonna' be exciting match.

Match of century:-

May be

Brazil vs Spain

Spain vs England

Viva Espana!
Aliko (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Of course espana!
Vivaldi (AC Milan) 5 years ago
For the match of the century, you have to wait for the next Italy vs Germany
Raf (Atletico Belo Horizonte) 5 years ago
I'd say more like Brazil instead of Germany vs italy, maybe Italy can catch up on World Cups this time around huh?
Zzlatan (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Sometimes italy sucks!
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
Even as a proud supporter of the usmnt team I would say that we really don't have a high percentage of winning, but that was me before the Confed's Cup. Even with the loses of Onyewu and Davies, we have still shown that we play for more quality football against the "bigger teams" on the "biggest stages" in the most "crucial situations. " With that being said, there's most definitely a chance of the usmnt beating England, only if they stay consistent throughout, and that they tack on another goal once they take a lead.

And to the matter of the 2011 kits, I really don't like them. I'm with Sir Stig, the transparent stripe isn't all that great.
Also, Nike is based right here in the "USA!", so I would definitely expect a far more quality result for the World Cup.
If you need an example of what I mean, the University of Oregon's American Football team has a brand new set of Nike jerseys, pants, and helmets literally almost "every" game! I kid you not
Keong (Manchester United) 5 years ago
It will be match of the century if the outcome was england 0 USA 5! Lol
Lol for sure, more like shock of the century
Raj (Chelsea) 5 years ago
I don't want to sound rude but haha, I'm sorry, the title along with the rationale is just a little too pretentious. I'll give you this though, it certainly is the match of the day, the other one being Algeria v Slovenia. Otherwise, not even match of week and certainly doesn't get any more superlatives than that

Kick4Life - changing lives through football