Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
The Jabulani!
Camilogv (Celtic) 4 years ago
I was lucky enough to play with the new ball and from my short time with it I think these players are being sort of over dramatic, it felt really nice to play with and I didn't see any abnormal movement that was noticeable
Golaire (Bayern München) 4 years ago
I would really like to meet these "engineers" who design these balls. A football is a relatively simple thing, how much more advanced can they make it. The ball at wc2014 will be able to lock onto targets
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I think it's admirable what they are trying to do.

First off, they're germans, so if they engineer something right, the world will be better off.

Second, they tried to make the ball as perfect as possible. They took every little deficit and factor that could degrade it and tried to make it the best there has been. Provided, it didn't work. But can we really say that it's ever been simple to make a football? Even old stitched balls had to be made with extreme detail, and those balls were awful. The players will have to adjust like they do to every new ball put out every season. They still make it work
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Scooterhayes makes some solid points here. The ball is about as close to perfection as I can imagine it being. Maybe since players aren't used to that, that is why they are complaining. I expect to see some thunderous strikes during this world cup. Trust me, that ball is so easy to hit straight and make it fly
Golaire (Bayern München) 4 years ago
Good point ScooterHayes, I take back what I said earlier. Now I just wonder when, if ever, will they reach perfection, and how the perfect ball will look and be constructed
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
What I find funny is if your this good at football you should be able to perform with any sort of ball. Kids play down the part with flat balls. Footballers moan far to much. You can't blame the ball for your own mistakes
Vika09 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I want football to go back to the days of simplicity. Too much technology invovled with everything. Boots, shin pads.... Hell even shirts.

But then again, if we want them to perform well, we have to give the players the best stuff
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
What the hell are they building nowadays!?

Captured from some website....

Fifa Standards / Jabulani Ball Stats
Feature FIFA Reg.______Jabulini-________Standing
Weight 420-445 _______440/td> _______________Heavy
Circumference 68.5-69.5cm 69.0 +/- 0.2 Average
Roundness 1.5% Variance 1.0% Good
Water Absorption Max 10% 0% Amazing
Bounce Variance 10cm 6cm Good
Leakage 20% from 3 days 10% Excellent
This table shows that the moulding technique means the ball retains its shape, and the lack of seaming means there is essentially zero water retention, which will reduce sluggishness of the ball if South Africa defies the odds and rains throughout the World Cup
The weight is interesting - being towards the higher end of the allowed scale means the flight will be truer and more predictable making keepers happy, but also rewarding accuracy for strikers.

Read more: Link: www.jabulaniball.com/#ixzz0ptXwMlfy
About the weight juno, I did find that interesting. Especially since the purpose and logical result of a heavy ball is to keep the flight of the ball true yet the players that have critisized it have said it is unpredictable. Now wheni have used it, it seems to be perfect, but that's just me
LOL. I haven't got any $$ to buy this new ball. Can't really tell.

The last world cup ball I bought was Fevernova of 2002. That was one horrifying experience.
Tricolore of 98 wasn't such a bad ball, but it was alot lighter than a previous Nike ball I had.... Can't get use to it. I had also played with Teamgeist of 06 before, and it was an excellent ball. Great for long ball with precision.

Tricolore

Fevernova(The lousiest ball I had)

Teamgeist

For interested fellas please go to Link: www.soccerballworld.com/HistoryWCBalls.htm...
To find out more.

Oh, those are my personal opinions though. Fevernova might not be the worst ball in history but it definitely is in my books. :)
Yes fevernova was terrible. Far too light. Simply flies everytime you hit it...
RonanKnows (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Notice that all the players complaining are sponsored by Nike.
LOL. Adidas players aren't sponsored to criticize what the sponsor produce...
I did actually notice that, though I'm not sure who casillas and pazzini are sponsered by...
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Everyone but adidas sponsored players don't like it.

Comments from people like, "horrible, dreadful, works better as beach ball" is not exactly helping sales. But since everyone else hates it but adidas it can only mean that the ball isn't that great either. And many adidas sponsored people haven't said a word.

But in my experience World Cup balls haven't been good but unpredictable. SO I can only think the same with this one. My favorites is the Nike one's we use in the EPL each season
I don't like Nike! Adidas all the way! Hail the 3 stripes! LOL...
HAIL the swoosh! Lol I like Nike
Casillas
He's sponsored by Reebok
Huh. Guess he is.... Gloves and Reebok boots. Maybe the ball IS bad!
Lets not forget, it isn't just nike that wants addidas to be unsuccessful
That's true There's always less competition without someone
Every four years, addidas creates a new ball to be used in the world cup. Every four years since the fevernova, that new ball recieves critizism from players everywhere. In 2002, they said the fevernova was too light, in 2006 the teamgeist was heavily critisized for being unpredictable and "terrible for passing. " now in 2010, the jabulani has not won many plaudits. Julio cesar has compared it to a ball you get at a supermarket, while casillas, buffon, and now hahnamann have critisized it for being extremely unpredictable. Then there is pazzini who says that you never know what it will do next when you go to head it. Even brazil coach dunga has shown his dissapproval of the ball. However many have also supported it such as frank lampard, steven gerrard and petr cech (though they are all of course sponsered by addidas).

Now I would like to hear your thoughts on this. If you have used the ball do you find any problems with it? If you havent, what do you make of the critizism it has received? Should there be a new ball every 4 years anyways?

Now personally, I love the ball. My club uses it as a match ball, and it is terrific. Despite it being very heavy, when you play with it, it feels like the lighest ball you have ever used. When you strike it, boy does it run true; it will do exactly what you want it to do so long as you execute the proper technique. The only problem I have noticed, is that when it is wet, it is insanely slippery. Other than that though, it is without a doubt the best ball I have ever played with
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
David James, the England #1 keeper hates it. Has to be good news for every other team at the world cup, if it wasn't a gift enough that Calamity James will be the keeper.

Link: www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/06/02/1954237/...
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
You lot are talking balls.... Lol
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Not just Calamity James Ant, Gigi Buffon, Julio Caesar and Casillas are hating this ball too.  Theory disproved, Ant!
Yea well us england fans now have ALOT more to worry about now with it looking like james may be our starter
The whole Brazilian team hates the ball. I guess they can't perform their vodoo rituals on it

Kick4Life - changing lives through football