Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Suarez Handball: Disgrace Or Genius
Omar (Arsenal) 3 years ago
The only reason Suarez is being considered either a hero or genius (or both) is because Gyan's penalty didn't go in. Suarez might have been blasted by his own country if Gyan's penalty would have found the net instead of the bar.

Gyan's miss = Suarez heroics
Incuteration (Everton) 3 years ago
Not really, if he hadn't handled that, the goal would have gone in the net too
Omar (Arsenal) 3 years ago
I'm saying that his heroics are only being considered after playing basketball with that header, AND depended on Gyan missing the penalty. If Gyan scored, there would probably be a lot of talk of how desperate Suarez was and Suarez might have been criticized.

But it's over now.
Incuteration (Everton) 3 years ago
It was more on the genius part. He knew if he didn't handle it, it might have been goal and game over. But he handled that, he got a red card and opponent got a penalty (which is a 85% chance of going in).

Since if the goal had gone in, they would be out of the world cup so who cares about the red card. He knew that the pressure will be on the PK taker and he handled that ball, he'd rather sacrifice the chance of him playing in the next WC match then causing the whole team out
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
There was no genius to it. Pure instinct. If Ghana had of scored the penalty no-one would have even mentioned it apart from the blooper reel of two Uruguayans trying to handle the ball at the same time.

He got the red card, Ghana got the penalty, that's the rules of the game to the letter, and Ghana missed a golden opportunity to progress.

The difference betwenn this handball and Henrys handball was that the refereee saw this, stopped the game, punished Uruguay with a red card and rewarded Ghana with a penalty. Henry got away with it completely free of charge (apart from International humiliation) and celebrated wildly as if he had scored the best goal of his career.

I wonder what would have happened if the officials had not seen the Uruguay handball and the game played on? I think it would have been the straw that broke the camels back of FIFA and forced them to bring in technology
Kateku (Manchester United) 3 years ago
It's a bit of both. But as a neutral fans, what he did is a disgrace. Even if he has won, I won't feel proud for them. It's the same as you are diving in the penalty box to earn a penalty. Yes. It's professional football but they have lost all respect. I believe this could not happen if you are a clean player. But I be supporting Ghana and I believe Uruguay won't go further having seen their performance
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
He did what anyone would do in that situation, got red carded and conceded a penalty. But it doesn't exactly make him a genius ! !
Rob12 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
He cheated which is a disgrace to football, yet his team are in the semi finals now after doing that.... So maybe he's both
Basically, he didn't cheat anymore than the German goalkeeper who kept playing after Lampard was denied his goal...
Rasblak (Liverpool) 3 years ago
The difference is that it's not the German goalkeeper's call to say whether there was a goal or not, but it was Suarez's conscious decision to disgrace the game by using his hands to prevent a goal. Had the penalty for that been that uruguay would then owe the game and the fans a goal he'd have tried what any true player would have and gone for attempting to head the ball away instead.

By the way, if it'd been David James or Robert Green who'd stopped playing and told everything one that they need to update the scoreboard to set his team 2 - 1 down, what would you have thought of that?
So much for posting on Asahi Black Munich-type

Clarification: I said 2 - 1 down because the 1st goal by Klose was in fact offside when the keeper sent the ball upfront, and yes, the score would have been England leading at half-time
Sharpoon (Hull City) 3 years ago
I wouldn't call it genius, but I would have done that and I think he did the right thing. I don't think its comparable with Henry and Maradonna cos it didn't unfairly knock a team out of cause them to concead a goal. Instead he gave a tiny bit of hope to his country that eventually came true
It wouldn't be "the right thing" if the rules made provision for his team's goal to be discounted if as the last line of defence an outfield player resorts to playing goalie to prevent a goal
Ltm017 3 years ago
It is comparable let me tell you why! Muslera has been an outstanding goalkeeper known to even save a few penalties himself. He has been outstanding in this competition so when it comes to PK's Urguay would have had the better chance. When you take a PK you have a chance of it going wide or the goalkeeper actually saving it. When Saurez stretched his hands out like a goalkeeper and kept that ball from going in.... It drastically decreased the chances of Ghana going through.

Henry and Maradona handball just like suarez is and should be spotted by the ref and taken care of.... Which for Suarez it did BUT that ball could have also gone in the back of the net inside of cheating with hands! Or headed out! Simple.

Just because you steal something from the store and do get caught does not make you any more of a thief than a person who doesn't get caught. You are simple a thief whether you are caught or not!
Sharpoon (Hull City) 3 years ago
But he didn't try and hide the handball, Maradonna never admitted it and Henry didn't at the time he let his team go through. Suarez simply did it to allow his team a better chance of going through and will be the first to admit he used his hand
Ltm017 3 years ago
You don't know that! You think he will be you don't know that. Please if he would have gotten away with it with the chance of Ghana not getting a Penalty to keep his team in it he wouldn't have said a word....

Who would right? To save their team? I'm just saying....
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Well, I agree with Ltm017, because it is still gutless cheating, but if your willing to sacrifice your dignity to win a game, more power to you I guess. As for Maradona never admitting to it, part hand of god, part head of Maradona. If that's not admittance, I don't know what is
Umiq18 (Arsenal) 3 years ago
I wonder, if FIFA changes the rule and awards a goal and a red card when a ball that is clearly going in is handled as in the Ghana-Uruguay situation what would happen. I'm sure if Suarez had done this same thing against a team like England every headline in the world would disgrace him and call him a cheat, but I havent seen any such thing today.... Only stuff like "Uruguay advance in dramatic fashion".
I think its so funny how Fifa has the players get together for a nice little photo shoot behind the "Say no to racism" banner, yet football has become so racist and political it is disgusting.

To be honest if I was in Suarez's situation I would do the same thing, and I don't blame him. What I'm upset about is how the world and the press have reacted to the situation. It is almost as if it didn't happened
Ltm017 3 years ago
I agree! It happens people do things in dramatic situation. My problem is with how people are hypocritical and acting like what he did was not cheating as the next person. Then people when to complain when a player does it and it doesn;t get called. Don't complain because in then end it is supported. Just don't be a hypocrite.... Especially with a lot of people in this thread
StefanJay (Arsenal) 3 years ago
It's simple really.... Brilliant.

The rules are the rules and you use them to beat the other team, period. Holland systematically fouled Brazil for 90 minutes and crumpled at every Brazilian touch which could be argued in the same way. Technically it was against the rules, but it certainly worked.

Way to take one for the team Suarez.... See you in the final
Umiq18 (Arsenal) 3 years ago
I'd expect that from a US supporter, but not from a Gooner.... Tsk tsk.

Don't think youd say the same thing if this was Defoe doing the same to Arsenal in a league game
Suarez handballed, he was penalised for it with a red card, his team was penalised for it by conceding a penalty. Ghana wasted the penalty. It's nothing more to it. That's why there is a referee with a whistle...
ZIZOO (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
It's def. Genius, it is just about playin the game by its rules and making decisions. He got a red card and his team received a penalty. The way I see it is that he gave his team hope and it paid off
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 3 years ago
All I have to say is, I've been playing football for 25 years and I want to win every game I play just like everyone else but I wouldn't have done it. I'm no angel but don't give me that "anyone would've done it" argument. Of course I'm not a professional and don't earn my living from doing so but pressure or no pressure they shouldn't be excused for benefiting from cheating.
And secondly, if it wasn't Ghana that got screwed but England or America or Brazil or Spain or Ireland I can guarantee you would be singing a different tune right now....
It's not genius, it's low....
Nicoacademia (AC Milan) 3 years ago
And anyway. In the NBA, it is a widely used tactic to foul opponents just to send them to the free throw line so that less time is taken off the clock.

I just used the word appalling because of the kinds of words thrown at Suarez.

Lol. Didn't we while playing football in school also use our hands at times just to irritate our friends? Or during school tournaments take one for the team too?

Weird. I guess many who comment didn't play football? Weird-er
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
No I didn't use my hands to irritate my friends or in little friendly tournaments. I guess it is a matter of pride and dignity, either lose and keep your pride or win and lose it. I will take the former any day, especially when I am just playing with my friends. But I think everyone here plays or played football or they wouldn't be here discussing it. So call me weird if I don't like to cheat the game I love so much
Alieg (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I think it a disgrace, I really wanted Ghana to go through to the semis and make history, they deserved to win they were the better team and for that I hope the cheating bastards!(Uruguay) lose and hope they lose quite heavily!
However if you think about it if Suarez didn't handball then Uruguay would be out
Illuminatii (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Disgrace!! I support Ghana, and now I know how the Irish and English feel to be cheated

Kick4Life - changing lives through football