Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Suarez Handball: Disgrace Or Genius
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Maybe it's a little bit of both. I myself think it's a disgrace, but I think many people, especially Uruguayans, will be calling him a genius. So I guess what I am asking is, where do you draw the line between playing to win and blatantly cheating? I think what Suarez did can undoubtedly fall into the latter category, but would you have done it if put in his position, and would any professionals let it go in the net, or would they have all taken up volleyball? The good thing is the refs caught it(thank god, who knows with the referees in this WC), but the bottom line is Uruguay will be playing Netherlands on Tuesday and not Ghana. Should Saurez be punished further or is the match ban enough?

Surely Ghana and all of Africa will be heartbroken to go out, especially in such dramatic fashion. You have to feel for all the fans behind the team to be so close and have it taken away by a goal line punch. Sure Gyan was given the opportunity and it is hard to blame Suarez when the penalty was given, but still it feels like some injustice is being done. It's not a new tactic people trying to gain the upper hand on the competition.

Or French style

The Germans, maybe he thought he would just help Khan out for a second

And the most recent culprit

Link: in.reuters.com/resources/r/?m=02&d=20100703&t=2&i=...

I know what you are saying, in all of those other situations the referees failed to recognize that they handled the ball and penalize them. So they got away with it. Not the case with Mr. Suarez, the referee did see it, and reacted to it justly. So maybe you can't blame him for what he did, maybe he was just reacting to the ball, but given he had just blocked the previous ball off the line with his feet, and saw the ball was going back towards goal, perhaps it was somewhat premeditated. And if you see in the video, his teammate is attempting to do the same thing and use his hand from keeping the ball out, so you can't be too hard on the guy. But to see him celebrate after Gyan put it off the bar, just seems a little low to me. Could he have done anything else though, who of us would have honestly just wildly stuck out our neck and hoped we didn't just head it into the roof of our own net. Certainly it looked as if he could have at least got his head to it, but that has no guarantees like a good old punch. To me it is a disgrace, but maybe I would be a disgrace too if I was put into that position. I would like to think otherwise, but I have never played in a world cup, and surely the temptation is there to keep it out at any cost when the stakes are that high.

Asamoah Gyan, who put the penalty off the bar, had the following to say about it.

“It’s hard luck, we had the opportunity to win this game, but that is football,” Gyan told reporters. “I would say he’s a hero now in his own country, because the ball was going in and he held it with his hand. He is a hero now.”

He doesn't sound too angry about it. And there's the most infamous quote that has been said so much, "that's football". Indeed that is football, and it can be as cruel as it is joyful, but you hate to see players cheat the game.

So what do you think, should he be condemned or praised?
Ogami88 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
This world cup is making me realize more and more as each game passes how outdated and archaic FIFAs rules are.

Instant Replay MUST be considered in some capacity. (Ask Mexico, USA, and Portugal, all victims to goals being counted that shouldn't have or being robbed of those that should due to bogus offsides calls).

Goal line technology MUST be introduced to future tournaments. (England was the largest victim of this).

Also, I understand a deliberate hand ball results in a free kick or penalty if it occurs in the box, BUT FOR GOD sakes IF THE BALL IS obviously going IN then reward the goal AND give the red card. You'd see handballs in the box lower significantly if this were the rule and technology were used to catch it.
The Goal tending analogy is correct. Football/Soccer 'purists' don't give us that "keep the game pure and don't change it human error" crap.
Fifa has toyed around with the rules and game before. The offsides rule has changed as well as the extra time procedures. Anyone remember the whole golden goal thing?
C'mon FIFA, your starting to piss the whole world off
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Yeah I agree with you. In a situation like that it would make the most sense
Vela12 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Even doe I do agree with what you guys are saying, do you not see the brilliance in what Suarez did. He did the ultimate sacrifice to give his team another chance. That game would have been over then and there but thanks to Suarez volleyball skills they were able to put that immense pressure on Ghana and they missed the penalty kick. To all the people that say he is a cheater and that the goal should count are in denial of what a professional foul is. A professional fouls is what NBA and collage football players do. They deliberately faul a player in order to prevent the progress of play, in this case a goal. What Maradona and Henry did was cheating because they did NOT get punished for their actions, they went on and celebrated their goals. In the other had you have Suarez which he deliverably put his hands there to give Uruguay one last chance and he got punished for it. That's the part that makes him a genius and not a cheat. He actually got punished for the actions that he did. He knew very well what he did and I think any other player would have been up to do the same thing in that situation. People would not be talking about him that much if Ghana would have made that penalty kick. Blame it on them, they are the ones that lost the game fair and square. Both of the teams knew exactly what the rules were before the game started, which was if you purposely hit the ball with your hand its an automatic free kick and a yellow and if you hit it inside the box it a automatic penalty and a red card.
So before you start judging Suarez for what I believe was one of the most technical changing plays of this world cup, wouldn't you have done the same for your country?
Alucard41 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Whats the point in handling the ball when suarez would know that the ref would reward a goal, so I say he was a genius and ghana lost that match in themselves and succumb under pressure. Suarez knew his consequences and did what he must.... If he was not caught then his considered a cheat but he was caught and penalised and the "football" went there way
Rasblak (Liverpool) 4 years ago
He did not even attempt to head the ball away. A player of his so-called calibre.
The aim of the game, the very essence of soccer, is to prove you've got the skills it takes to win without ever using your hands if you're not goalie.

We can only abide by the rules but a penalty kick is a disfavour to Ghana at this level of competition.

It's high time that the logical penalty for the last line of defence that blatantly stops a goal-bound ball via illegal means be that not just the offending player is sent off and suspended but the offending team is made to owe the game, and the fans, a goal.

As a fan, this is certainly not the kind of 'victory' I want to see associated with soccer
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Why are the men that cheat with famous handballs always in blue? The color's cursed I tell you
Ltm017 4 years ago
All I have to say is this proves my point when Henry Handled the ball that anyone in either situation when imposed with the opportunity would do it. Well most people that is....

I personally don't like it. No matter who did it or for what country but the point is I don't like the bias of people these days. If the ref did not see it and Suarez got away with it.... Then what? Blame him too? That's what the ref is there for and in this case he saw it and they got their penalty which they threw away.... While throwing away two other penalties. I will not say that Uruguay deserved to win but they took their chances and game out on top in the end and this is how it is. It is not the first time and it will not be the last.

Why don't we count the amount of handballs we see.... Almost 1 in every match. Blatant handballs.... Handballs that are done on purpose. We saw Sneijder with a handball today too I believe.

The point is I am sad for the Ghana that is happened but I am happy that is happened because it shows that any country when faced with the chance to move on in a competition and in the last minutes of a game and opportunity presents itself they will react and use their hands and no one is above it....

Ha this is classic.... I guess Henry is not the only one that reacts by using his hand in a desperate moment huh? But when people are bias.... Or just hypocrites!
Even though it was cheating, and he pain the rightful penalty for it, It's still genius.

He has nothing to lose, if he doesn't handball it it's in, game over, they're out. If he does they get a penalty and he gets sent off, he can't play in the next game but there wouldn't be a next game if he hadn't. He gave Ghana a chance to miss and they did. His country went on because of him
ElPeloHernandez (America de Cali) 4 years ago
Exactly he had to make that handball they had only one minute left to play he knew it didn't matter if he got the red card they would rather take a penalty kick then a sure goal disgrace maybe but genius. Most other players in his situation would do the same thing.

I personally wanted Uruguay to win but not in the manner that they did I feel sad for Ghana knowing they are out because of a handball one minute left in the game. But Ghana played a hell of a game and I hope they make it in Brazil and get revenge.... Kinda
Soccergal293 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
It was genius because if he didn't do it would have been a goal where as for a penalty kick there was a chance that they would miss it, which happened. And with the red card, he would have only missed a couple of seconds of the game! Also I'm pretty sure it was just a ban for the rest of the match, wasn't it?
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Had he gotten away with it, yes, this would be a lot worse.

But lets face it, he did what he had to do. No doubt about it. This man knew what he was doing, and put himself on the line to sustain the hopes of an entire nation. And due to as much luck as anything, it worked out. Uruguay have a realistic possibility of making it to the world cup final for the first time in how long? And all because suarez did what he had to do. Would any of us have done different in his situation with such high stakes? I really doubt it. I know I wouldnt have at least. What he did is a part of the game so long as the ref got involved as well.

And regardless of whether what he did was heroic or just criminal, it sure made for an exciting finish to a game. I mean what more could any of us ask for really from a world cup quarter final
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I'd have to say its a bit of both for Suarez. He'll go down in history for saving Uruguay's hopes for a third championship but as a cheater. Its kind of like Barry Bonds' 75th home run ball in baseball. It will have an astrix beside it for all time
Kiwoli (Inter Milan) 4 years ago
Its a professional foul, but I wouldn't call it a masterstroke of Suarez. However, I don't like the mentality of people thinking there is a chance for a player to get away with it - if that was your motivation of clearly handballing a goal-scoring shot, then you're not going to be well-regarded as a sportsman. There's a huge difference between thinking you can get away with it and the ref having a hard time deciding because he couldn't see the incident.

A professional foul at its very core is cheating, but in this world, nobody is going to pat you on the back when you don't up-end the striker after he has rounded the keeper. Its ugly but its always going to be part of the game, but I think the positive from this is that we can separate the players who you can respect without reservation and those who will always have a blemish on their record
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Dealing with the nerves and stress in that situation, in the last few seconds of extra time in a World Cup quarterfinal, WHO wouldn't have put a hand out in that situation?
Nicoacademia (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Genius. I would have done the same.

Because it's fair right? He blocked a direct goal with his hand, got a red card and conceeded a penalty. It's like gambling, all or nothing.

The fact that Ghana missed it is their problem.

I think Suarez did the smartest thing because that was like a transaction.

No one can guarantee that Ghana would have missed the penalty. Normally that doesn't happen.

So you can't say its a disgrace. How about Gyan's miss? Now that's apalling. That isn't genius.

Suarez is a genius. He's banned for the next game too for the red card.

So you have to say that the penalties for handballing in the box are pretty severe.

If Gyan had scored you wouldn't even be posting this, so you're trying to play god
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
What? Haha I don't even know if I believe in god, maybe something like her, but I am a man so I wouldn't try and play god But you are right that if he had put it in, I wouldn't be posting this, but since he did miss it I found it an intriguing topic.

Is Maradona a genius then as well? He couldn't get to it with his head so he punched it, exactly the same, except for the referees. But where I come from we are our own referees, so I can't empathize with either of them.

As for calling his miss appalling, maybe, I mean it hit the bar, it wasn't like it was 10 feet above the net. And could you put in a penalty with a whole continent on your back after playing 120 minutes of football? He hit three of the four he took in this World Cup, just missed the big one, so I would hold my tongue calling someone of his caliber "appalling"
Ltm017 4 years ago
So everyone that has handled the ball for their team and got the advantage from it is a hero right? They are genius right? That is what I am getting from everyone in here? Unless people are picking and choosing who is a cheat and who is not? Or who is right or who is not?

Or better yet anyone that has dived and gotten a penalty for their team and has won the game is a genius and a hero right?
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Its luck. Had the resulting penalty gone in, Suarez would become a sinner instead
Humam1990 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
I think its fair. We got what he desrved: a red card. And Ghana was given a penalty kick. Ghana failed to capitalize
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Condemned.
What's the point of competing when you can benefit by cheating? It doesn't send a good message to the public. And I notice the media haven't said anything half as bad about Suarez or Fabiano as they said about Henry. So hypocritical...
Alexx1 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I completly agree with you Jetlifari
Ltm017 4 years ago
Yes I completely agree all of a sudden everyone that killed Henry for what he did is congratualting Saurez for what he did.... Now you hear the argument that anyone would do that in his situation.... It is very hypocritical because when Henry did it I am sure people would have done the same thing.... You have a split second to choose the ball is there your hand is there and your team might exit.... What a bunch of hypocrites.

Yeah and Fabiano used his hands and people nearly went crazy because he got a goal from it
Azeal (Liverpool) 4 years ago
The thing is.... Henry didn't admit that he did it, just like Maradona he joined the hall of shame.
Suarez on the otherhand, he deliberately commited the act knowing the consequences and took the responsibilities. What else can you ask of him? Cut his hands?
[account-removed] 4 years ago
I honestly don't see why anyone would consider suarez to be anything but a true player of the sport. This hand ball is exactly what any player should do if put into that situation.

He got a deserved Red, which means what he will miss the semi finals (and probably Uruguays last game in the WC).

But not only that.... Ghana got a penalty kick. That is as good as a goal. Unfortunately it looked like Ghana has never practiced penalty kicks.

All in all a true Genius who put his country in front of himself. Nothing like Maradona's hand or Henry's hand. Those were clear cheaters, but this.... This is something amazing. (it did suck though because I was rooting for Ghana, sadness)
Alucard41 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Hahaha nice one chacon  Totally agree with you
Rasblak (Liverpool) 4 years ago
"I honestly don't see why anyone would consider suarez to be anything but a true player of the sport. This hand ball is exactly what any player should do if put into that situation. "

A true sportsman has what it takes to face defeat, and to accept it when he has been defeated.
He said "I had no choice but to handle the ball". If really he had no choice then he knew in that moment that he had been defeated. If you can't prevent a goal by legal means, then you have been defeated.

If the rules allow you to prevent a quasi-goal by illegal means and yet go on to win, then something is wrong with the rules.
I say introduce discounting goals just like some leagues deduct points for supporters' unruly behaviour
Ltm017 4 years ago
How is this different than Maradona or Henry? What because he was red carded? No that's the ref fault for not call it but the action itself is not different.

All three actions had a direct impact on the result of the game
Drdownundermum (Charlton Athletic) 4 years ago
Cheating cheating cheating  I hope Saurez and The German Goalkeeper realise how despised they are.  How despised ALL cheaters are. Scum.
Golaire (Bayern München) 4 years ago
It was not the keepers fault that the goal was not acknowledged, he was not sure himself if it went in so why would he leave the ball? Its not even the refs fault the ball bounced awkwardly. The only thing at fault is fifa's refusal to use goal line tech. The German keeper and ref are innocent
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Yea not sure how you can call neuer a cheater. If you watch the replay he wasnt looking when the ball bounced off the cross bar. It wasn't until after that bounce that he turned around and even if he had turned earlier, from his angle you really can't tell
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Both. He cheated, wasnt reaction he knew what he was doing and it was disgraceful. Saying that he put his side through the the semi finals! He did what he had to do, and to be honest how many of you would have not used your hands if you were in the same situation.

Both genius and terrible at the same time!
Barozi (1. FSV Mainz 05) 4 years ago
Exactly
I said the same, I may have done the same myself
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I would do it, he is praised in uruguay

Kick4Life - changing lives through football