Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Spain Are Marvelous/Boring???
CanonsofArsene (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Just read this fantastic article on the Guardian and it absolutely summed up my feelings about Spain -

Heres the article -

I went into this WC fancying Spain to win it but know I am really unsure if I like the way they play or am I just plain bored with it. One things for sure - I'm NOT in love with their play; it definitely doesn't have me screaming with delight everytime they have the ball or even when they score a goal....

The reasoning is incredibly complex and I needed that article I've linked to above to help me explain, even to myself, why that is. Spain will be playing in the WC final this Sunday and you need to be a great team to even get there so there is no doubt of them being a good side but people talk about how they can't get enough when Spain play, and I mean neutrals, not die-hard Spanish supporters - I don't feel that...

For me, the German style of play has been the high point in this WC and I was really disappointed by their performance against Spain. Usually I just want to see some really good football but even though Spain dominated possession in that game, I was more or less unimpressed by the nature of their win - a single goal from a header from a full-back and they just settled for that. Its not just this single game; their entire campaign has been like that and its really frustrating/anguishing/boring to watch. The Switzerland game actually turned out to be a really unpleasant source of gratification for me....

I'm looking forward to the match-up against the Netherlands but if Spain still continue to perform as they have so far, I don't think I will be enjoying myself too much, even though many people would be delighted if they won.

I started this WC fancying Spain (don't know why) but I will be hoping for something different this Sunday.

Now my ideal situation is a V. Persie double strike clinching the title for Holland!
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
They haven't really caught any kind of decent form in this world cup, hence the 1 goal, 2 goals kinda results. And since almost no one can nick the ball off them, its very hard to score against them. Wouldn't say they are boring, because when they are on song, the sight of 4 goals and above kind of matches are pretty common...
But will they ever score those four goals against a side like Germany, Holland, or even against England, and Argentina? I would like to see that happen but so far we haven't seen anything more than one goal per game against the bigger sides...
Its a effective and correct way to play football imo. Though our views my varies. I admire Germany's direct, fast pace and counter attacking ways, but to me, football is more about possession and creativity. The current Spain's lack of width seriously hinder the creativity of the team. And oh, on your question, they might or might not score 4 past big countries, but other than USA(2 goal) and Swiss(1 goal) winning against them, I haven't really see Spain's defence breached too many times. So there's no problem with the defence, once the attack is sorted, they'll be fine
I wouldn't use the word 'correct. ' I also get really annoyed when people call a defensive approach that a team takes as "anti-football. " The only anti in football is when a player races around like a mad bull snapping players' legs in half.... Also, I know that it takes something special to play as Spain do but why is it that I (and many other people too; refer to that article in the guardian above) was actually satisfied when the USA and even the Swiss defeated the Spaniards?
LOL, Probably because you enjoyed watching upsets more than the football....

I prefer upset if only the other team actually came out to play football. When USA defeated Spain, the collective play attacking wise is 10 times better than what Swiss did when they scored their lucky goal. See, if one really comes out to play some 'football', at least their play gets them to a world cup second round. What did Swiss got after being so negative? I don't believe they got to the world cup by setting up a wall against every teams in the qualifying rounds. IMO, they regressed even though they did beat Spain 1-0 in their opening match, because they forgot how to attack anymore - as evident in their next two games.

I believe football should be play to score more than the other team, not the other way round. I believe basketball should be played to score more than the other team, not the other way round. And I believe even in F1 formula race, the theme is to outrace your opponents, not using some shitty teammates to block up the roads or give up their position for you. All sports when newly invented- IMO, has always been to outdo your opponent.

Defensive tactics are one of the way to get you to your ideals, but its not my ideal way of doing things.

Spain, acknowledging the fact that they have some of the best passer in the world, plays a tactic to utilise their strengths to the max, hence I use the word correct on them. The same tactic might not be correct for, let say - the current Argentina squad. With so many runners and dribblers around, if they decided to adopt a keep ball and pass around tactic, its considered under-utilising the talents available through the likes of Tevez, Aguero and Messi.

And the thing to me is that whichever tactics is adopted fine, if a team coming into a match with no attacking strategy on hand (meaning they decided to sit back, wait for scraps, wait for dead ball, and unwilling to maneuver any kind of attacking moves) then, they might as well stay home.

Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
I'd have enjoyed if I were a Spain supporter. As a neutral, my eyes find it a little boring. Not taking away their credit though, holding the ball is harder than it actually looks.
Maybe they should try scoring more goals, and try to please my eyes
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Well I fancied spain from the start of the compo, but I'm hoping holland win it, spain have bored me senseless, they even bored the germans to defeat.
All the elaborate passing's great, but its from side to side, and very little going forward.
They try to play the brazilian way, but brazil will play at a slow pace, knock a few passes about then bang, its forward and the balls in the net.
Spain over pass way too much, they need to speed it up a bit, but everythings done slow and methodical, which bores me.
No way would I buy a ticket to watch that, its like a training stint
Exactly, for me the Brazilian style was epitomized in that game against North Korea for me and I actually thought both teams were fantastic! DPR Korea had a really disciplined defence (no yellow cards!) and both goals from Brazil were something really imaginative and well-worked which became a necessity if they wanted to breach Korea's stubborn defence....

Do you also feel that Spain are a somewhat reduced and weakened form of the current Barcelona team; even on paper if you consider that the Barca team have the likes of Messi and also Dani Alves.
HangTime (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I love the way spain plays. But yeah.... While watching the germany vs spain game at the 20minute mark, I got sleepy. Game was quite boring
Shuds (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Here's a beautiful article on the way Spain play their football and why some conceive it to be boring.

Sid Lowe - Spain's "Tiki-taka" style dominates

Link: sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/world-cup-20...
Thanks for the article. It really just splashed everything we know about the team onto that one page including how Spain's tiki-taka is in its essence a defensive tactic. "When we keep the ball, anything can happen except you scoring a goal. " Agreed, that its incredibly difficult and highly technical to pull off but in the end, we don't want that one team just dominating possession and not doing anything with it! I want to see Spain play riskier football, even if it means that they have less possession, it raises the chances that they're going to get more goals!
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
I think it's neither: Spain are not marvellous as they were 2 years ago, but definitely not boring either IMHO. Just like Holland, they win with 1 goal difference most of the time. Both teams have proven that the most efficient win (a 1-0 or 2-1) is the most sustainable on long-term, although I do not think they meant it. They probably went for a 5-0 each time, but in a WC it's a lot harder to dominate the other team than in the qualifying games, where both Spain and Holland ruled.

My opinion on Sunday:

Made in Spain

Made in Holland

Great use of props jeroen.... Lol
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
That's nice mate lol Hopefully everyone knows what you mean
And heres my reply...

We will take "Oranje" by the horns !
I can do this forever Shuds

Notice the colour of the cloth? ^^ The Spanish raging bull will be tamed, and finally brought to an end
LMAO. The 2 of ya are really funny...
And just when you thin you have tamed the bull this happens....

Note: Colours saturated to bring out the oranje! OUCH !
Lol, well, I'd draw a big bottle of steroids indicating the bull played unfairly, but I don't want Puyol, PK, Sergio, Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro, Villa or any other Spanish player from a lesser club (haha) to play unfairly or be caught in a doping scandal, so I'll just leave it at predicting a 1-1 and Spain wins with penalties
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Hahahahhaa! Back to the first post, I think it's really difficult to play like Spain do which is why people have so much respect for the team but watching the game can be difficult. It is very clinical and because there's nothing left to chance there's not much for fans to cheer for because the unexpected rarely happens. It's kind of like watching a 6'11" tall man keeping a basketball away from a toddler for 90mins and then just dropping it through the hoop with the most minimum of ease!

Erratic, unpredictability gets my vote so I hoping to see......

HAHA....Good one, I've got one for you too

1. We start by peeling the life of the team

2. We stretch your formation

3. We then dismantle you team bit by bit

4. After which we split your defence

5. Then we just squeeze the life out ya

Hahahaha! Very inventive

I think at the end of the day:

So the Netherlands are the best parts of Spain combined......

But with less hair and scarier, lol

ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
LOL Haha that last one made me laugh big time.    But the future is yellow and red D:
Hahaha, sad but true Ah well...
Soccergal293 (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Woah what was that? Haha Funny stuff there!
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Well this turned into a crazy topic! Hilarious stuff guys
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 3 years ago
At the threat of sounding normal.... Lol....

Spain is boring. At least against really classy opposition. But they do have their system down pat, so while I am sad the Dutch didn't win (since ya know.... They have probably seen more than average disappointment in national sport), I will admit Spain.... Eh....

They didn't lack the ability to win lol.

I'll just note that Puyol did Kung-fu sweep Robben while he was charging the box and Robben didn't go down, and then blame it all on the officiating, and then call it quits for 4 years.
@Shuds: You got the "juice" now man
Don't drink it all in one place, hahaha

Haha, I've got some bottled up for later too .

ROFL! That's a hard drink to swallow these days

I think I'll just eat some of this at home in memory of the final

MrPoopyPants (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
I can't explain it either, but the first time I watched them in the WC I thought, "Wow, look at the control, the finesse. " By the sixth match I was more like, "Oh, look at all the passing. That's neat. " Impressive technique and it seems that such play becomes great when they come up against a weak defence. Against a solid defence it demands greater creativity and speed. If they can't muster that then it becomes just a lot of passing.

Countless times on the forums I read Spain supporters saying how great their team played by pointing to the possession percentage, but they only scored a single goal. Possession is important, but if you don't know what to do with it, then it actually isn't terribly helpful
I'm afraid spain can be both boring and marvelous, when they want to go forward they are a joy to watch, but once they score they go into a keep ball mode, and it bores the s**t out of me, unlike the brazil of old, they kept going, but spain do go a bit negative when they are in front
Fawlty (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Spain, boring? Yes! Good God, yes!
AhmadSK (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Spain to be honest is boring but good. That's why they won the world cup and honestly, they had the best chemistry out of any international team but that's because they're pretty much just Barcelona and Real Madrid mixed together

Kick4Life - changing lives through football