Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Should Make A Tournament For Countries That Don't Qualify
MariusV (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I think it would be great for people whos countries haven't qualified, and it would be great for the teams that didn't qualify, I came up with this topic cos my country didn't qualify for the world cup, or even, just make a tournament for countries that don't get through the group stages, it would be like "europa" and the proper world cup would be like the champions league...It would give them something to do...

VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 4 years ago
Interesting thought, but I believe it would be tough to finance tournament like that, considering all big sponsors, as well as media attention will be on main event
Barracuda (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Would be nice to make a tournament for the teams that went out in the group stages of the finals
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I don't know. It's a nice sentiment, but think about it....

What would you call it? "The next-best World Cup"?

World Cup 2010 2? The Runners-up Cup?

I'll be honest, that while it is sad that great teams couldn't get in on the action, they are the losing teams. It is a reward to give them another tourney to play for and, frankly, unless it is FIFA sponsored and supported, I don't think it would be very well received. And I doubt Fifa would love that plan.

However, an interesting idea does pop up with this....

What if you could have a knock-out style tourney for teams in qualifying that didn't make the cut? A tourney that gave those ones that got through on points a second-chance to qualify? It would certainly be a harder road for some teams, and there would have to be some strict implementation of which teams were able to join it, like 3rd down or 3rd and 4th down only. It would require a lot of work for FIFA to re-tool the current World Cup system they have, but.... It would satisfy a lot of sad countries, and that is a plus for FIFA. Happy countries pay more moolah.
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Loser cup perhaps?

Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
It is a nice idea but I wouldn't want one. Some countries would then take the World Cup less seriously and will settle for this other cup. This in turn stunts a countries growth in talent for futebol. Sorry but the world doesn't work that way. There must be losers and winners. Also there is the Euro Cup, The African Nations Cup, The Gold Cup, the Copa America, and so on for those who do not make the World Cup. There is also the qualifying process for the World Cup and the Euro. That should be enough for them to improve in order to make the World Cup. Once they make it the feeling of success will be all the much better without that other cup
Yeah maybe you're right, I just thought it would be fun
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
I think it would be a great idea, but not run in conjunction with the main world cup, that would be unfair on a lot of people, I think it would be great to have it the year before, and the winners get a place in the proper world cup the following year, that would create loads of interest, otherwise, theres not much going for it.
I would love to see that, plus its more televised footy.... Hooraayyy
Ciankc (Manchester United) 4 years ago
You could call it the international cup....
I don't know, it seems like a good idea but if it did happen it shouldn't be at the exact same time as the world cup.
Golaire (Bayern München) 4 years ago
It would be totally overshadowed by the World Cup even if it was at a different time. But some of the good teams that almost made it like, Russia, Ireland, Egypt etc. Could play some friendly exhibition matches when there is a break in the games at the World Cup. Like between the semi-finals and final
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Call it the Special World Cup, like the Special Olympics
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Sounds interesting but because of the number of football tournaments already in place, chances are it may not be that well watched or attended.... Would be fun if it could happen though. But then again, friendly matches are usually with a country that qualified for the World Cup and another that didn't so maybe those countries can settle for playing a World Cup country even if it's not at the World Cup...
Arron (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Nah it be rubbish. If teams aint good enough to make it on the the grand stage then they should'nt be allowed to win cups etc
Schaudenfreude (Watford) 4 years ago
I couldn't see it happening. Many big teams at least would feel to proud to enter such a tournament. It would maybe be nice for fans to see their teams compete more, but could cement the idea that these teams are second tier. Furthermore, I'm sure many players enjoy their summer break when not playing in the WC. There is no substitue for the WC, it's that or nothing really. I think, maybe more could be done in terms of seeding terms and such. Maybe a few mino's will get into the finals. But overall, if England had to play in the 2nd class tournament, I'd be a bit embarrassed and not so interested
If you think about it, it wouldn't count as important as the main world cup it's self, it would just give the teams that didn't qualify or that didn't get past the group stages something to do, it would be something like the europa cup, atleast it wouldn't leave the fans siiting in the house board waiting for the premier league, a series etc to start while the world cup is going on
I'm not disagreeing with any of you guys, I just thought it would be cool
Omar (Arsenal) 4 years ago
A tournament like this would defeat the purpose of having a World Cup. It would also defeat the purpose of Qualifying for a big tournament

Kick4Life - changing lives through football