Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Should Beckham Be Picked For The World Cup?
Lfcalan (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Many people are debating if Beckham should be included in the World Cup squad.
People say that with him playing in the MLS, he is not good enough....
What do all you England fans think? Should he be picked or should other wingers with more pace be included?
Tell me what YOUR opinions are~

(I think he should be included because he has this charisma about him that can change our game when things are not going to plan)
4 years ago
Consistent, workhard, crosses, freekicks.... A pure class english player.... I think england still need his football intelligence to win WC10...
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
I can't understand why english people rip the back outta' david beckham, whats their problem?
His age? His personal life? .... He can't play a full 90 minutes? .... What a load of crap, he's as good as anything england have, including rooney, gerrard and co.... A real class act, was that booing I heard when he came on? .... I don't think so, biggest cheer of the night.
He lit up an otherwise boring game.
As for who plays on the right.... Aaron lennon could, nt cross the road, and half the time he forgets to bring the ball with him. Walcott I like playing further inside, and swp I can accept, 'cause he gives his all, and is willing to track back.
Wonder if he has a northern irish grandmother? .... I wish
Blooob (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Becks gives a side a sense of assurance when he plays or comes on as a sub. He's very passionate about playing for his country, his work-rate is excellent and his fitness has always been very good - not that this makes any kind of difference as to how well you adapt to and cope with high altitude but nevertheless, good fitness shows a strong work ethic and professionalism, intit. And he has a great free kick
Aeaglan (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I think that he should be included in the squad. He definitely has a huge impact when he is introduced to the Belarus game. He is an experienced veteran, with incredible deliveries for the ball, and most importantly he is really hungry to play for the national team. When you have players with that amount of determination, you have to repay their hard work by giving them a push.

Beckham has shown great professionalism and focus. He is pushing hard to play for Milan, and all so he can win back the heart of capello. I say let him get his chance. He screwed up by going to the MLS. But that doesn't mean that his dedication should be overlooked!

To be honest, I never used to be a major supporter of the english national team, but their current national squad holds too many of my favorite players (1. Lamps, 2. StevieG, 3. Rooney +++) for me to be a neutral fan when watching them play.

Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I never thought I'd say something like this but no.... I think most players for England have come over him on how good they are and I just don't think he will get a chance there. Because of the form of Lennon at the moment, he would be the main RW player at the tournament and Becks hasn't even listened to what Fabio Cappello told him about having to play in England if he wants to be in. So that dampens his chances even more because if the deal is about to go through and he plays on loan for AC Milan again, then he isn't exactly going to get a club in the UK to play for if that happens in January and the cup is in June. Lennon is better now, much quicker and has more strength and skill than him now and has completely succeeded ability wise. Then there is Wright-Phillips if he is fit (he seems a bit injury prone) and there is Walcott as well so he may just get into the squad but I don't think he will contribute a lot and I don't think that he thinks a lot really cares much about England because all he is doing is playing abroad all the time. His time has passed now and if I was Capello in the job I wouldn't pick him for the squad
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I think he deserves the call up so long as he does end up signing with a european team to keep him fit. He has been a very faithful servant to the three lions over the years and deserves one last place in the lineup. As well he adds that little bit of leadership and experience to the side, which could prove very useful in englands campaign
SP8884 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Beckham didn't deserve Man of the match in England's final WC Qualifier against Belarus coming on as sub I think Gareth Barry deserved it. Nevertheless England will need his experience and ability to distribute to the wide men and forwards which he has shown he can do time and time again
Yes he may be overrated, but he is consistent for england
Diamond19 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Well I think that beckham is great don't get me wrong but england has so many great players I think that he won't play very much!
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
He certainly won't play as much as he would like given his age. But Capello would know this is 1 of his most potent weapon in the squad
Very true, I doubt he would start many games, if any, but he can still be a very bright aspect of the squad
Fidalgo10 (FC Porto) 4 years ago
The publicity around david beckham is definately a boost and he can still deliver the ball. I say give em one more
Vodka (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
I think you are right.... Besides he is a great player
Darius (Southampton) 4 years ago
He'll be on the squad for the World Cup. Capello said that if he didn't transfer to another club after the MLS season was over, that he would not be back on the squad in South Africa.
As ESPN has said almost about 30 thousand times today, Beckham is going back on loan to AC Milan from January to April if I'm correct. So no worries about his spot on the national squad
Kaizersoyze (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Beckham has the experience, brilliance and charisma required. Even though there are better young players as options to pick from, I still feel Fabio Capello should take Beckham along with him.

Beckham is very passionate about his football and his work rate is excellent. In times of need and sever pressure, he can come up with that killer pass needed or gameplay required.

I personally feel he still has it in him to shock and awe
Jman008 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Beckham has been an inspiration to many fans and players around the world and a guy who would pay off from his own money to his own club to go out to loan to AC Milan so he could stay fit and represent his country, I have nothing but more respect for the guy. He loves his country very much and would do whatever it would take to represent his country. He had a huge hand in why London has been chosen as the place where the Olympics will be held.
Now when football matters, LA Galaxy have had there best season this season and Beckham had a hand to that, Beckham is one of the best passer of the ball in the England Camp if not in the entire world, he remains to stay fit and his experience and composure I believe should award him a place in the World Cup. Even if he comes on for 20 minutes as a substitute, he can have a hue impact when the team is down
Hashhash (VfL Wolfsburg) 4 years ago
Ok ppl you gotta' realize that Fabio Capello was just trying things out.... Since England was guaranteed a spot.... Capello was trying things like two wingers? .... Crazy idea.... And Beckham is an inspiration.... We've heard it all before.... BUT! Real talk there are more qualified players...
Jman008 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Talking about crazy play, did you see how Capella played Milner at left back because he wanted to substitute Wayne Bridge and he had no other option. Even though he was playing as a left back, he came agonizing close to scoring a beauty goal, haha
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
He should be and he will be in the England team. And he fully deserves it. He is the most consistent player in england!Lennon may be playing well now but you cannot assure his form but becks will be!
He is now playing in MLS but in january he is moving to milan so he should be in the team!
Salt (Aston Villa) 4 years ago
I think he has to be on the plane. He's become more versatile in the last few years and I think he's more than capable of making an impact from the bench. I don't think England have anyone that inspires confidence from a set-piece as much as Beckham and if we're a goal down in the closing stages of a game his delivery form a dead ball could be priceless.

With his move to Milan almost done and dusted he'll be closer to Capello's spotlight and will therefore get more of a look in.

I also think that the wide players in the squad are very similar at the moment. SWP and Lennon are both lightning quick but often fail to impress with their final ball. Beckham is the polar opposite and could provide us with a "plan B"
Franboy (Barcelona) 4 years ago
For me, Beckham should be in the team. It should not be in the starting 11 but he must be part of the group. He has much experience. His kicks can help England in the late game. "Beckam is beckam", he it must participate in his last major tournament with England, he deserves it
Mydreamteam1 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
No! He need more pro playing time before getting to the WC!  
Well he will likely be signing for ac milan again come january
Franboy (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Even if he does not play in the starting 11, beckam must be present. Even a reservist, he will bring his experience to young players and groups. Beckam has a good character, he deserves to go to WC 2010
Exactly. And when coming off the bench he has proven to be quite usefull

Kick4Life - changing lives through football