Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Refereeing At The World Cup
Francesco2286 (Barcelona) 3 years ago
I am really hoping that the refeering isn't awful and ruins some games, we have seen many times in the past how the host country/ies get some assistance by the referees, we even saw this at the friendlies that south africa had couple weeks back, almost all there goals came by penalty shots, lets hope for good refeering! And good matches
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I was impressed by the Uzbekistan ref for the first 60 mins of the opening game (that's as far as I saw so far)
Yes very good call on the offside goal, not a lot of refs would had taken that 1 back
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Up to now I think the referees have been the best I have seen at a world cup for many years, ok theres been a few mistakes, but you have to expect that, that's never going to change, but the standard thus far has been on the whole impeccable, deffo no complaints from me
Lumileppardi (Swansea City) 3 years ago
Well since the other ref thread, one that actually had commentary made after the Cup started, was locked, let's continue in this thread.

I agree with the commentator in that thread who thought that the refereeing had up to that point been virtually perfect. And I think today we're seeing more of the same, the Spanish referee has been on top of the game nicely (SRB vs. GER). Many people complain when a referee splashes a lot of cards around but if they clearly are for fouls that ought to be taken out in the 1st place, let 'em have 'em. Klose's sending off was justified.

My only squabble refereeing-wise was the Spain vs. Switzerland match. Webb allowed a player to run to maybe 1-2 meters distance when the Swiss were taking a free kick, why? And why did he give almost 6 mins additional time in the second half? There were no major disruptions to the flow of the game
Its a yellow card party! And all the slovenian players are invited haha oh man so many cards
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Lol
Holly crap I really want to know why the usa's 3rd goal was taken back, I didn't see anything happen, I don't understand why.... Any1 know?
What a horrible referee for the slovenia vs usa game
ACMilan21 (AC Milan) 3 years ago
All refs have been good so far except the USA Slovenia one. That is a terrible moment, and I just feel so annoyed that USA's goal was disallowed. I feel they should have won, after a splendid second half, but no, thanks to the useless ref
Lumileppardi (Swansea City) 3 years ago
Yes the goal should have stood, but why is everyone blaming the referee? He's not the one with the flag you know
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
So far there has been some bad calls, but nowhere near as bad as 2006, that was rubbish. It's better this time round
Rob12 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
The World cup has been ruined because of the refs. They should only have refs from Europe who ref at the highest level not these crap refs who ref in sunday leauge
Another horrible refeering at the brazil vs ivory coast, luis fabiano's touched had two clear hand balls in the same play of the second goal, and the sending off of kaka, the hard fouls by ivory coast not being penalized lots of mistakes on that game shame
Zach (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Awful in my book. The tackle on Elano warranted at least a yellow if not a straight red and considering the ref didn't even see the keita run into kaka, I don't know how is made up the decision to give him a second yellow. I hope that this ref gets dropped along with the ref of the US v. Slovenia game.

More importantly, I'm more ashamed to see Keita roll around on the ground clutching his face then the ref's horrible call. Keita ran square into Kaka without even looking and ends up on the ground having convulsions?! Disgraceful. I can only wish that fifa will take action against him and hand out at least a 2 game ban.... But of course that will never happen
Golaire (Bayern München) 3 years ago
Brazil were playing nasty the entire match rolling on the ground and not to mention the hand ball goal. They deserved to be punished, I was happy to see Kaka sent off. What ever happened to Brazil playing the beautiful game? In my opinion the current Brazil team is a disgrace
Anfieldhero (Liverpool) 3 years ago
It was funny the way the referee and fabiano just laughing about the handball just after the goal
Any thoughts on why there still no instant replay system in the footy world?
Zach (Manchester United) 3 years ago
It would slow down the game too much. In my opinion it would take more away from the game then add to it. Your thoughts?
Kiwoli (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
Controversies from referring decisions has long been accepted as part of the game, the cynic in me reckons its to prop up the games that become goal-less draws. But even with technology, there are bound to be controversies, and what happens when the camera does not capture the incident or the angle is inconclusive? Its back to the ref and the argument continues.

Commentators have replays and they still don't agree, football does not need more refs deliberating on video footage, just training for quality ones that can be relied on
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Lets keep the video replay discussion in this topic: Link: www.footytube.com/forums/the-stands-general-footy-... and stick to the thoughts about how the refs are doing in this World cup, not how they might be assisted
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 3 years ago
 Missed that call
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 3 years ago
 Oopsy!
Ltm017 3 years ago
Are you serious? Fifa blocked it? What are they afraid of the controversy around? Which is very obvious!
Wow they blocked both videos
Ltm017 3 years ago
Do you know what upsets me. There has been come bad referring but because the americans raise their heads and watch the match and start to complain they have the referee benched. What is so different that the Americans can get this call on this ref but other countries can't get this on the referees you mad horrible calls. What is it? Fifa is only allowed to hear Americans cry?

A disallowed goal is the only thing that determine the outcome of a match? Roll with the program if other countries can live with it then they can too. If this ref is evaluated more so then the other refs should be too. Because those red cards and players missing matches can be just a detrimental as a disallowed goal
HansUpskirt (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
 Red card because someone walks into you. Legit call or a scared ref?
HansUpskirt (Real Madrid) 3 years ago

Kick4Life - changing lives through football