Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Now That That's Done...
MrPoopyPants (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
What do you think will be made better by the World Cup and it's results?

Fifa will add goal line officials to the field and you'll probably see some form of goal line technology introduced.

What players and countries can expect to see their stars move on to top clubs, or which players can profit from good showings? Or lose out from bad ones?

I can only really speak for the you. S. Donovan will probably go to Europe. Dempsey will likely stay at Fulham. Bradley might get some looks from other clubs too.

Will South Africa be changed by this event?

Short term yes, long term no.

Will Spain for it's victory?

No. They will still be Spain. They are unlikely metamorph into anything other than Spain.

Any other thoughts? Share em

Good WC tarnished by a poor final. The runner up game was probably the match of the tourney. I really wish South Korea had gone farther. I felt like they played some wonderfully fast paced, and attacking football. They were truly menacing at times
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I would suggest they change the ball back to Tango leather for Brazil 2014. Then we shall all be able to see a good tourney where skills matters more
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Well I thought it was a fantastic World Cup, but what WC isn't fantastic? The goal ratio was saved from being dismally low in the knockout stages and there was some breathtaking football being played by Germany, Holland, Ghana, Argentina, Spain and many others throughout the tournament. My brother was in Durban and later Rustenburg for three weeks of the tournament(luck son of a bitch haha) and he loved every second.

Sure some people will say that teams took a defensive stance and the beautiful game is gone, and though in many ways it is true, there is still some beautiful football being played, because it is and always will be the beautiful game. It only takes one moment for something special to happen ala Geo Van Bronkhorst hitting a wunderstriken from 40 yards, or Diego Forlan ninja volleying the ball into the German net. That's the wonder of football, one player one move one goal can change the world quite literally, Pele in 1958, Cruijff in 74, Maradona's turn at midfield against England in 86, Zidane in 98, and for me this world cup it was Landon Donovan scoring in stoppage time to send the US through to the knockouts. Could be because I am American and it is a historic moment in football here, that could send football into a much better place in the streets and the fields in the you S of A. So for me that is a huge positive from this World Cup.

One thing that I am sure this World Cup brought to South Africa and the continent in general, hope. That's why the Suarez incident to me is a little absurd, that hope was tarnished a little by a cheat but hey c'est la vie. And hope will hopefully remain for some time to come. Sure financially it may not be the biggest asset, but it is about much more to the people of Africa to have the first World Cup on their continent than money.

So there I am sure there are negative things to be said about this world cup, f**k that though, it was beautiful. It was grand, plenty of great moments, and all I can say is I am only more excited for Brasil in 4 years
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Basically the Tourney is saved by Germany's 16 goals from Germany and Portugal 1 match haul of 7 goals. If not, its a dead set boring tourney.... Apart from Brazil's 3-0 and Argentina's 4-0 games, all the matches features too little goals...
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Well it's still football, and to me nothing negative or boring can be taken from it. Definitely not the best World Cup, but I still had tons of fun watching it and I was thousands of miles away. The glass was half full for me in this World Cup though, I loved it. Probably because the States in my mind had a superb tournament, aside from letting every team score on them in the first five minutes haha
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
The final was disappointing, at the outset of the world cup I fancied spain to win it, but after watching their games, which I found boring, I wanted holland to win the final.
But after what I witnessed last night I'm glad spain won, because the dutch really let themselves down badly, the tackling was vicious at times, and holland were lucky to finish the game with 10 men, at least 2 more should have been sent off, so they not only let me down, but the great johan cryuff was livid with the tactics holland deployed, so much for "total football" is how he described it.
So even though I thought spain were disappointing, I was glad they won it, I can't stand cheats and animals
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
.... Haha this shows the hugeness of difference of opinions people have on this discussion....

I was very much for Holland. They deserved it the most, not ust because of their history, but because of how they played the tourney. Robben IS a clinical flopper, but he didn't go down to challenges that weren't their in the final. He could have gone down on the edge of Spain's box on several occasions, once especially when Puyol grabbed him and went to ground kicking under Robben while another defender cleaned up on Robben's left. That kind of defending is shameful to watch. Puyol dropped, and should have released Robben, but he still attempted to take him out. There's no honor in that.

Spain and soccer are far better off than Holland is, even before their victory. The Netherlands needed this finally after 2 previous failures. The quality of both sides was poor in finishing chances and creating them, but I do not appreciate how Spain reacted to a more physical Holland. Iniesta was on the ground at least 9 times throughout the game.

I hope FIFA actually does something to limit or eliminate this type of behavior. It's pathetic.
Anfieldhero (Liverpool) 4 years ago
The players who would profit from this World cup:

Mezut Ozil (Germany)
Thomas Muller (Germany)
Anthony Annan (Ghana)
Alexis Sanchez (Chile)
Jorge Fucile (Uruguay)
Asamoah Gyan (Ghana)
Luis Suarez (Uruguay)
Keisuke Honda (Japan)
Nelson Valdez (Paraguay)

Hmm. I like.

And I submit to add to this list:

Bastian Schweinsteiger (Ger)
Diego Forlan (Uru)
Shusaku Endo (Jap)
Siphiwe Tshabalalalalalala (RSA)
Landon Donovan (USA)
Antolin Alcaraz, Cristian Riveros, Roque Santa Cruz (Par)

Main reason for adding Shweiny to the list is he is Germany's Xavi now; a very affective replacement for Ballack.
Yeah, schweinstiger was the most impressive player for me along with Forlan. He was immense in the centre of the midfield. He made khadeira look much better than he actually was. Schweini was supposed to be the anchor man but he was also linking up with the offensive players brilliantly. That was a master-piece from Louis Van Gaal who switched him to the centre
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Alexis sanchez to make a move after his fantastic play with chile. How could a club not want him after seeing that
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
When is holland gonna' win it? D:
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
D: I wish 2010
Holland needs to win.... Ugh they need to win so bad.    Maybe they can reclaim something at the Euros?
StefanJay (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I think that the Dutch and Spanish players were already well known and play at major clubs so the chance of them moving around or getting more notoriety is slim. It's more likely that the younger players of Germany and Uruguay will get signed by bigger clubs and start to make more of an impact in Europe, although most of them already play for large teams. I don't know if this is a direct result of WC performances, but Cannavaro is already moving to a middle eastern club and Henry is shipping off to the USA to play in New York I think. Coincidence?
ZIZOO (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
I think the level of soccer in this world cup was very low overall. Most teams played one striker up front and were very focused on defence first and score only if a a chance comes somehow. Given how bad the final was, I hope coaches put more emphasis on the goal of the game which is scoring goals rather than being afraid to attack so you don't lose the ball.

I also think FIFA will now consider some sort of fix to the embarrassing amount of mistakes that happened especially in the final.

Also, I think nations are gonna' be very careful as to who coaches the national team as a lot of coaches were a total disaster. I hope 2014 brings back the beautiful game.

Peace
Affainyi (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Well, a lot of coaches noted that many teams score a lot of goals but don't win anything and in the end that's what matters to them; winning, not entertaining us with goals.

So in their opinion the goal of the game is not scoring goals, the goal is to not make mistakes, keep it tight at the back and win the game. Note that Spain only scored 8 goals in 7 games.

I liked the world cup, then again I'm such a soccer fanatic that I would have liked it no matter what happened
I think that's mostly because everybody is starting to use a more attacking style. And for some teams it worked very well to defend for entire games and hope for a late goal.... That was Spain's game the whole way through.

And FIFA has sworn to fix things. Thank goodness. I wonder if we will see the affect of these changes by the start of the new seasons in big leagues, or if FIFA will take it's time in getting this ready.

And I don't think there's a chance of Brazil not bringing it back. Brazil is where the original World Cup belongs. It's going to be inportant for them to boost their infrastructure and get ready to host what will have to be a much bigger World Cup than this last one. I can see South America presenting a much stronger threat to Europe's chances then.

Who knows. A lot will change in 4 years
CHELSEA61 (Footytube Moderator) 4 years ago
Sadly, I think It'll be a long time before we see the World Cup return to Africa. Very little benefits will be reaped by the people although no-one can take away the fact that it was there. I live just outside of Vancouver and we just finished hosting the Winter Olympics and there are almost no signs after the fact of anybody benefiting from it. Corporations made all the profit and then left while Canadians footed the bill for almost 5 billion dollars to build all of the infrastructure necessary to host the Olympics.

I'm not sure how much money South Africa footed to bring the World Cup to town but I'm sure is was substantial. And now local clubs will play their home games in world class facilities that will never be fully occupied. I'm really doing my best to not be all negative about the World Cup but its a fact now that all of these kinds of events are paid for by taxpayers and the profit goes right out the window to the corporations that sponsor said events.

As for Spain they will definitely be changed by this World Cup. No longer will they carry the label "best team never to win the Cup". That title now undoubtedly goes to the Netherlands. I suspect we'll see more success from Spain in the coming Euro 2012 tournament but could be plateauing in terms of talent coming up through their youth football programs.
It's really true.... I think giving South Africa tis World Cup was like a humanitarian act more than anything. I don't think it sold anybody on the country as a viable source of anything but tourism really.... Eh. It's still not strong enough of a country to really create what it needed from this World Cup.

And I was seeing how Vancouver was going to have trouble with the Olympics in a similar way. I think in this economy of anti-growth there's not going to be a benefit to hosting these events in less-than booming places. I think after Brazil Europe will need to take the World Cup back, just to keep it good. Or the USA; can't deny the infrastructure advantage. And massive new market (which I would be shocked for FIFA to overlook past 2014).

And I felt so fotten for Holland. Three times in the finals, three losses. That's a nightmare to me
Charliehenry (Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal) 4 years ago
I think the England team will change completely if Coppello is willing to change new GK and much younger players.

I also think that we will see goal line technology probably to be tested in the Europa league maybe not this season but next
Shuds (Barcelona) 4 years ago
The likes of Elia, Affelley, De Jong and Van Der Weil are all going to be breathtaking players in the near future. Spain weren't really where they were two years ago that will have to change if they want to compete at this level at the Euro 2012. We have the likes of Pedro, Mata, Llorente and Javi Martinez who are all also on the way to become stars themselves
Shuds (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Oops Double Post
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Spain will continue to do what they do, just like after the success in the euros.

I expect some of the dutch stars to become huge and wanted after this world cup like sneijder already. I think this will be better for club football, and make some club more exciting to watch because of the style of play. Though the final was ugly

Not so much for spain the players where already known massively
The final was very ugly. I wish the officiating would have been better and let some of the goals either side could have produced happen. The games too fast for the people that need to officiate it now as this World Cup has shown. To be skilled enough to officiate, you have to be mature in age and experience. Unfortunately your legs are also mature, your stamina is lowered, and your ability to really stay with the field is low. Football is too fast now for the way the games is run.

And I wouldn't say the Dutch players were ever lacking in fame; most of their first team has played at either Real Madrid or Ajax, and then they eventually played at clubs like Bayern, Inter, Chelsea, etc. I think the Dutch team is a little older, though
What do you think will be made better by the World Cup and it's results?

What players and countries can expect to see their stars move on to top clubs, or which players can profit from good showings? Or lose out from bad ones?

Will South Africa be changed by this event? Will Spain for it's victory?

Any other thoughts? Share em
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
South Africa should experience some short term monetary benefits but doubtful if there's going to be a long term effect. More money may be put into African football by governments to try to compete more proficiently I think.

The Spanish League will get stronger and more players are likely to choose there as their next destination. But, due to immigration policies and lack of money, you probably won't see a "foreigner explosion" like we saw in the Premier League/Serie A in years gone by.

Expect a drop in the stock of Rooney, Ronaldo, RVP, Torres and maybe even Messi after their performances at the World Cup which didn't live up to expectations. Might result in some better performances next season though And expect a boost in the stock of Ozil, Mueller, Schweinsteiger, Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas, Robben, Elia and Sneijder.

Expect a change in the refereeing system and possibly revision of some of the archaic laws (wishful thinking, lol)

I don't think the likes of Iniesta & Xavi would get their stocks risen because they are already considered to be among the best mid fielders of their generation
Sorry, Double Post
Haha weeeellll I don think Xavi and Iniesta stocks will jump too much because Barca can't afford for that to happen without having to release them lol...
Crap. Another double post. Lol

Kick4Life - changing lives through football