Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Must The Manager Of A National Team Be From That Country?
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Depends on the country. But for England we need a english manager they're the only ones who understand the passion of english football
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
You can't win a game with passion alone kaden, england need to seriously look at their coaching methods from boys clubs and schools right up to senior level, they are doing it all wrong, its outdated
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
For many countries that have a history in football knowing that history may or may not help the manager but if the manager is from the country he's coaching it may mean more to the manager. Just look at what Klinsmen and Lowe have done for Germany since their total collapse in the 2004 Euros. They conducted a series of studies amongst german coaches and used a public opinion poll to get ideas from supporters. In most cases it is a benefit for the team to have a home grown manager but there's no substitute for experience. I'm still on the fence about this question.

Link: news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8...
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
The funny thing is, even though Germany is experiencing a resurgence now, when they first starting implementing across the board changes to the coaching/managing set-up after Euro 2004 the public weren't very supportive at the beginning. Klinsmann and others had to basically force the reluctant clubs to back them in their efforts to make the national team strong again by changing the way the Bundesliga teams approached club football across the board.... I guess nobody's complaining now
ElPeloHernandez (America de Cali) 4 years ago
Managers have always been hired by other country's to help develop their teams some country's simply can't supply a world class manager so I don't think it would be fair for soccer in general to have the Manager be from that nation
LukePillar (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I don't think it really matters, as long as the manager is competent to what is best for the team instead of forcing the way he would like the football to be played
Its funny this story has come out, after all our debating about foreign managers, I suppose fergie being a proud scot would hardly qualify as english, but has declared he turned the england job down twice to a reporter in toronto.

Link: www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6266984,00.h...
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Sad but true. When a Coach of SAF's status says things like "poisoned chalice" about being at the helm for England you know its bad. England definitely need an English manager and one who can dispel myth's like this. No wonder Capello makes so much money
I think the english media should pay the england managers wages, because its them that ultimately get rid of him.... Lol
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Yes a definate yes. Because some managers are just in the jobs for the money so they don't put tht much effort into it. But if he is from tht country then the passion is there. The percentage of effort he puts is 110%. When his teams loses he feels the pain
2010 champions:spain manager:vicente del bosque(spainish) 2006 champions:italy manager:lippi(spanish) 2002:brazil manager:scolari(brazilian) 1998:france manager:aime jaquet(french) 1966:england manger:sir alf ramsey(english) 1990:germany manager:the kaiser(german)
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Lippi is Spanish? -_-!
But Greece do win something with a German.... Maybe smaller countries need these foreign talents more, but we cannot say having your own nationality in charge means a better output. Because if Arsenal doesn't brings in Wenger with all his scientific menus.... Then the football in Arsenal culture wouldn't change as well. It's equally true for a national team. You need somebody to bring in new ideas to the under-performing team when its current style is not working. It doesn't matters what nationality you are as long as the players respond to what you intend to bring. Country like Brazil and Argentina although are using their own ppl all the time, but did you not notice how difference is each coach? The 94's and 2010's version of Brazil and the 78's version of Argentina are Pragmatic and defensive. The 1970's 1982's, 2002's Brazil and 2002's Argentina are attacking mad. The 2006 and 86's of Argentina play is based around one single playmaker. Even 2010's Maradona's version of Argentina can stand on its own category: a team that's divided into 2 halves. Defence and attack mind their own business. LOL. That's the main difference between the South Americans and the Europeans. In Europe, only the Dutch seems ever changing, the Germans are changing another style in this era after Klinsmann brought about the revolutional change. The rest seems to believe in a same operation modus year after year, coach after coach, Players unwilling to evolve in another kind of play etc. Brazil ditched the small size players and go for the bigger and taller dudes to match the europeans in height and strength in the 2000s, they aren't afraid of changes, nowadays, one of the main weapons from the Brazil camp is headers and set pieces. The thing wrong with France and England and so many other Europeans is the coach and players mindset doesn't change. If your current gen is the best in the world are coincidentally suits the traditional style of play, fine. Once in a while you get success. But for France, a Zidane or Platini don't come every year. So they gotta' wait till the next arrive. England: I still see England's players when they are chasing a game, tends to pump the ball from defenders to strikers, therefore by-passing the whole midfield. The mindset of this current bunch and generation might be fixed, but the training for flexibility(there's a better word in FM but I can't remember it now) for the younger generations gotta' start now.

Passion is only one attribute in the mixture call 'success'. There's lots more to it than Nationality
And oh may I add, even the Asian change to get their best ever finish in the World cup. In the past, Korea and Japan are the ones that are being kicked and barged around. In 2002, Korea's mentality changed. They are the ones kicking the Europeans into submission. Granted, its not fair play in a couple of matches, but its the change that brought about the best finish for them.

The whole team from top to bottom gotta' change and adapt
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I heard that lippi was born in valencia
Is it? No he's born in Tuscany Italy
I meant lippi(italian)
MrPoopyPants (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
This debate has been heavy in the you. S. Bradley did a good job for us. I don't think it had anything to do with nationalism or cultural familiarity. It had to do with being a coach that knew what to do with what he had. We can't afford a coach that just gets us pumped up psychologically. We need a coach that can break down the game, take the good and the bad and meld it together. So for at least the you. S. I don't think it has anything to do with nationality. Plus, we recognize our young stage in the game means we don't have that many home grown coaching resources. So we would take Klinsman or whoever that we felt would work hard for the team and understand the limitations
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
What about Guus Hidink, how well did he do with Socceroos?
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Yes managers from the same country are good because they understand the passion and would really know how to inspire the players but that will not guarantee you victories and trophies. Look at maradona, probably the only reason he was brought in as a coach was because of the inspiration he provides the players in match because if it was all about the tactical side of the game he wouldn't even have gotten the job. And in the end he ended up getting sacked after the wc. Whilst managers from the same country share the same passion and will to win as the players it is also important to make sure they have a good knowledge of game play styles and tactics
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
I am a bit extreme on this, but this is a competition of the nations. If your nation lacks a manager good enough to take your country to success than your nation should not "cheat" and bring help from outside.
Fifa should make a rule out of this and allow the growth of domestic managers.

I understand that some nations have lacked the resources to grow good enough managers, but on the other side have talents who have world stage experience by playing in major leagues abroad. So, they have imported managers.

I think it must stop. There is no excuse anymore. It is about nations. Grow your own managers, your own medics, your own coaches, your own footballers. I don't even like the tricks that are played with the nationality of the players. (I wonder why the US are not doing more in this direction considering the relaxed nationalization laws.) Italy borders on ridiculous sometimes. But at least in this case there is an official excuse.
Benzo (Manchester United) 3 years ago
What if a manager was a very reputable foreigner and his assistant was as reputable and was from the country itself and they manage to get the players to look to them with almost equal footing than it kind of solves, the tactical, style of play etc. And national pride conundrum imo. Let's say if the manager and his assistant understand that and the FA of whichever country understands, believes and employs that philosophy, I think it could work out
But what if a smaller country is unable to grow their own managers won't they suffer as a result of being forced to select a manager from their own country? Some smallers countries have enjoyed good spells and have performed well under foreign managers for example Guus Hiddink with South Korea and Australia. So maybe there could be a group of select nations that have to choose managers in their own country like nations within a certain fifa ranking or some system like that to ensure that nations that are capable of producing their own managers will have to find a manager from their own country whilst smaller nations that lack the resources to grow their own managers can still hire foreign managers
It goes the same for the countries who don't have talented players to compete with the best. They don't go around shopping for foreign players. It is a race among nations and everyone involved should be defined by the nationality.
I am not prepared to tolerate on this, although it is only my opinion so who cares
But it's already hard enough for them because they don't have good players so wouldn't allowing them to be coached by foreign managers with loads of experiences give them a better shot at competing with the bigger nations? Anyways I doubt FIFA is ever going to make a rule like this because very few nations would be in favor of it
The myth for a couple of decades was that Brazil had great forwards but bad goalkeepers. But this was not an excuse for them to go and get a foreign goalkeeper. Similarly, while some countries like Ivory Coast or Nigeria have great players but bad coaches, it should not be an excuse to take foreign nationals to solve the problem.
You want to have results, take young coaches and send them to the countries of great football tradition to get trained and learn the job.
Of course this discussion here just for the sake of the argument
But why would they do that when it would probably easier for them to hire a foreign manager that already had loads of experience? Sending younger coaches to learn abroad is a good option that could help them start growing good managers and it would really help push forward the idea of having managers of the same nationality but whether most countries are willing to do that as an alternative to hiring foreign coaches could be a problem
Nkrumah (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Depends on the manager it's like if a portugese manager can'nt speak that much english the communication with the player and the manager will be lost on the pitch
Yea that can be a problem at the beginning when a new manager takes over which means that they won't be very good at communicating with their players. But it is a problem that not only national teams but also clubs that employ foriegn managers can face but that doesn't mean that it is impossible for them to achieve success at that club/team

Kick4Life - changing lives through football