Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Must The Manager Of A National Team Be From That Country?
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
After several conversations with friends and reading various articles, I wanted to ask footytube what you think about this question. Someone mentioned that no country has ever won the World Cup with a foreigner at the helm but only 7 countries have ever won the World Cup. And those countries happen to be countries that were actively involved in football for a very long time, so it's a given that they would have managers who have the know-how to lead a national team successfully. However, being from a country in the Caribbean, I've grown accustomed to having foreign managers all the time. I don't think it's a big deal and of course because we are lacking in the managerial department in Trinidad and Tobago, we usually do better with someone from a different country at the top. People from bigger footballing countries view the situation differently because it becomes an issue of national pride to have a manager leading "the boys" to victory, so to speak.
I think in this day and age the nationality of the manager shouldn't matter, especially because we're talking about a football team and not a government. But of course I also recognize that there can be logistical or cultural problems that can arise from having a foreign manager.

What are your views?
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Look at Greece 2004 for your answer. No~~~~~! LOL...
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Its impossible for a foreign manager to impart the national passion that a fellow countryman can, and for that reason I don't think the foreign manager is a good idea.
Theres culture and language barriers, theres the country history and what it means for one country to beat another ie; close rivalries.
I mean take maradonna, I don't think he's a clue about management, but because he has good players at his disposal, he could win the world cup with his enthusiasm and passion alone, but you are never going to see cappelo showing that degree of passion, or any other manager that takes over a foreign team.
Theres something to be said for national pride
Tony, Look at where Brolly man has brought England with his passion.... At least Capello still brings them to South Africa.... LOL...
Capello would have failed with italy as well, had he been their manager.
I'm not blaming capello, I'm blaming the fa for employing him.
Every country has had a brolly man over the years, mcclaren was never gonna' be good as england manager, another fa mistake. And of course the team didn't help, they were s**t.
And as for mcclaren, theres more passion in a statue, you need to pick the right man
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 4 years ago
NO. Tony is right
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Mhmm.

Why is it that the FA cannot get a good coach? The timing is always off and the best ones are always just fresh off the market.... It's lousy work of the FA to take this long in finding a suitable leader.

The FA will always pick a YES MAN scooter, they always have done, and always will do, to englands downfall.
That's why it would be hard to see them offering harry redknapp the job, harry's his own man, and has too much to say, they don't like that
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Well than the FA is obviously not catching on to the fad; those with their own voice are the ones that win the trophies
Exactly mate, its about time they employed forward thinking football people
Benzo (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I don't think there's many forward thinking football people left with the exception of Ian Holloway, in England, from what I can see
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
I have went off holloway bigtime, everythings based on his ranting rather than management.
Like against utd, blackpool were out on their feet after 60 minutes, that's not good management.
Ok theres a case for the top teams having great players compared to blackpool, but theres NO reason why blackpool shouldnt be as fit, theres no excuse for that, but the manager and coaching staff.
David moyes and owen coyle are two managers I would look at for fergies position when he eventually goes, theres something to be said for scots in management, it can't be luck that so many scots have been legendary managers, and I don't think its always down to their tactics, they are great man managers, and know how to get the best out of players
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I still feel like passion and love for the country is important but as a manager who decides tactics it's not that important. Of course the will to win and succeed is necessary but I feel like national pride and passion is what the players should have...
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
England would have lost regradless of Manager because Englands players have to big ego's.

I still think the manager should be from the same country, but I will support who ever we have as are manager. I wish umbrella man was still England manager because at least he would drop shitpard and play Gerrard in centre
Thing is, he might not qualify them for WC.... LOL...
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Lmao well it's because the players aint actually that good. That's why anyone thinking England had a chance of winning the world cup was a idiot because this was the same team who didn't make it to euro 2008 lol
Rayrulesohye (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Nope, a team is a team, a manager is a manager, some cases it's good to have a manager from your on country and sometimes it's not
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
I believe that Managers for World Cup should be from their respective countries. Isn't the WC supposed to be a showcasing of each respective countries talent and team play?

Of course for clubs they don't need to be from the country the club plays in just like players.

I think it should be that way for every international squad world wide at every age level. IMHO
ZIZOO (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
In terms of better play no it doesn't matter. A good manager can coach any team and produce effective football.
From a world cup point of view, I'd say it would make more sense if managers were from that country
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I don't think it matters. As long as the manager sticks to the team historical style of play. You wouldnt want a foreign manager coming in and changing everything around imo. As long as the team plays well and play in a similar way to how they always have he can be successful.

I think being from that country can help the players have a better rapport with the manager (although I think the french could disagree with me)
Again, it still depends on the country. Chile for examples, for years they had been searching for their own style. Under all previous coaches, they tried to copy Brazil's samba, Argentina's tango, and even changed to European styles before. But under Bielsa playing method (not the traditional Argentina way, Jose Pekerman's 2006 Riquelme focus style which plays to the playmaker's pace is more like it....), they probably found their own identity.

The same could be said for Australia I believe, which after Hiddink's reign, Australia's soccer adapted 4-3-3 as the grassroots' formation
Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Personally, I'm going to have to disagree. A manager needs to bring tactics that tailor not to a teams history but to the teams they will meet. England's historical style of play has no business in the game these days; aspects of it surely, but the manager needs to keep up with the opposing team in each match. This involves alternating tactics and staying up to date with the styles of play in various other countries. It's no good to stick with the same old formula, unless it's a winning one of course. As long as the players respect the manager, there should be no issue regardless of nationality
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Who could understand a country football than a manager from that country? Look at all the big nacional teams, they all have manager from their counry
Alieg (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I think it would make more sense tbh!
RealSpaniard (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
I agree with Alieg that it would make more sense to have a manager that is from that country but I don't think it matters whether or not it is a manager from a different country win or lose
Ltm017 4 years ago
It would probably be better but I honestly believe that tactics, skill and discipline are key also along with national pride to take a country all the way
Anfieldhero (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Honestly, sometimes they work but sometimes they don't. I know there are disadvantages of having a foreign manager but there are examples of certain countries exceeding the expectations of the nation with foreign managers (South Korea, Australia, Russia).
The managers from the same country might be passionate but they might not be good enough considering the smaller footballing nations.
England though is a different story though they have the best league in the world there is a huge shortage of English managers due to heavy foreign influx
The teams you mention are hardly top notch mate, and especially south korea and the aussies would be grateful of overseas help.
The russians are in football long enough to have their own manager.
But the big boys in world football will employ a fellow countryman.
I'm not saying a foreign manager is a disaster for everyone, look what jack charlton achieved with the republic of ireland, amazing, but they are not world beaters either
Oh yeah, fancy a manager that couldn't remember the players' names? LOL, Jack's your man
Premoli (Werder Bremen) 4 years ago
Depends on the country. A good coach will always be a good coach
Joeymac (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I think it can help both ways. Like tony said, a manager from the country knows the history and football background, etc. But I think the USA is a different case. Many usa fans are calling for jurgen klinsmann because they want him to reform the training and recruiting program in the us. So I think it depends on the situation

Kick4Life - changing lives through football