Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Group Of 16 - Match Previews
Francesco2286 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Ok so we have some teams that have already qualified, so lets talk about who do you think is favorite and how the game will play out, who has the upper hand and who the teams will play

We have the final 16!

Uruguay vs south korea:

South Korea So Far in the Fifa World Cup

South Korea had the perfect start to the World Cup when Lee Jung Soo put them ahead in their match against Greece after just seven minutes. Manchester United’s Park Ji Sung added a second just after half time to give the South Koreans a 2-0 victory.
The team though suffered a set-back in their second game when they found they were no match for the might of Argentina. Despite Lee Chung Yong scoring in first half injury time, a hat-trick by Gonzalo Higuain and an own goal by Park Chu Young saw the Argentinians romp to a 4-1 victory.
That brought it all down to the final match and a tie against Nigeria. There were a lot of permutations in the group, but most of it came down to South Korea doing better than Greece who were playing Argentina, unless both teams lost in which case Nigeria would have gone through. Greece lost and South Korea looked safe when they came from 1-0 down to lead 2-1 through Lee Jung Soo and Park Chu Young, but a late penalty from Nigeria levelled the scores setting up a nervous twenty minutes for the South Koreans as Nigeria battled hard. They held out and their reward is this Round of 16 tie with Uruguay.

Uruguay So Far in the Fifa World Cup

Uruguay got off to a more nervous start with a goalless draw against France to start their campaign, though they played the last ten minutes with only ten men after Nicolas Lodeiro received the dubious distinction of being the first person to be sent off at the 2010 World Cup after picking up a second yellow.

The South Americans put that behind them for their second match and cruised to a 3-0 victory over host nation South Africa. They had to wait until the fifth minute of injury time for Alvaro Pereira to add the third after Diego Forlan – Uruguay’s most impressive player so far – had scored twice, once from the penalty spot. The penalty also led to the controversial decision to send off South Africa’s goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune.

That set up the final match against Mexico, which Uruguay only needed to draw to qualify as group winners, but there was no hint of anyone settling for a draw (which would have also suited Mexico) as both teams fought tooth and nail with just the one goal from Uruguay’s Luis Suarez just before half-time separating the teams.

Players to watch
Diego Forlan v Park Ji-Sung

Having scored a brace against the hosts, Diego Forlan is at the core of Uruguay's three-prolonged attack. The Atletico Madrid forward is also the most capped player in the current squad and has completed all 270 minutes of Uruguay's matches thus far.

Korea Republic captain Park Ji-Sung became the second player from Asia to score in three FIFA World Cups when the Manchester United midfielder found the net against Greece. Coincidentally, both Forlan and Park have been named the Budweiser Man of the Match twice in the group stage
One former man united player, and a current man utd player
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Uruguay to turn over Korea Republic I think. Crystal ball says 2-0
AidanLuca (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Uruguay will win

Mexico vs argentina

Argentina

Argentina, one of the pre-tournament favourites, haven't been troubled in qualifying. They dominated Nigeria but only managed to win 1-0.
A 4-1 win over South Korea demonstrated what Argentina are capable of. They finished off their group with a 2-0 win over an unadventurous Greek side.
Worryingly for future opponents, Messi hasn't scored yet. Even without his goals, Argentina have scored seven times.
Argentina have played attacking football and are blessed with an array of players that allow them to do this. There is no team in the competition that won't be threatened by Argentina going forward.
Argentina go up against Mexico in the next round. They will be expected to win and have shown they have more than enough to progress further.

Mexico

The Central Americans have qualified second from Group A. Not a bad effort in a group that included Uruguay and France.
Mexico were the better side in their 1-1 draw in the tournament's opening match against South Africa.
They followed up on this draw with an impressive 2-0 win against France. Whilst France have internal issues, they are still a side full of talent and experience.
Mexico went into their final match against Uruguay needing just a draw to ensure qualification.
The ended up losing 1-0, but that was enough for them to advance. Despite the loss, Mexico played well and had plenty of chances.
Mexico will go up against Argentina in the next round. Nobody will be expecting them to win. However, given the way this World Cup is going, who knows?

We have a barcelona player vs a former barcelona player
Players to watch
Lionel Messi v Rafael Marquez
The Barcelona team-mates will meet once again as international rivals, as in 2006, when Mexican skipper Marquez opened the scoring and Messi came on as a late substitute with only a matter of minutes left in the game. The FIFA World Player of the Year 2009 is yet to notch his first goal in South Africa 2010, and La Pulga will be hoping to open his account in the knockout stages. Marquez, however, has continued his knack of scoring goals from his defensive midfield position, and scored his country’s first goal of the tournament in the Opening Match against South Africa
No fewer than 14 current players are survivors of the two nations’ last FIFA World Cup meeting in Leipzig in 2006. Amongst the eight Mexicans and six Argentinians is midfielder Maxi Rodriguez, whose superb volleyed winner for the 1986 champions was named by FIFA.com readers as the goal of the 2006 finals
CanonsofArsene (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Just off the Mexico-Uruguay result, I say the victorious Uruguayan's neighbors - Argentina, who are a far superior opponent, technically, individually, and tactically will emerge triumphant over the Mexicans, and by a greater scoreline, 2-0, or 3-1, (or more), than what Uruguay managed.

On a side note, the South Korea - Uruguay was incredibly enjoyable and satisfying to watch; it demonstrated that Forlan and Suarez are at the top of the game, and are really a very deadly threat but South Korea put in a fantastic performance and I'm sure after seeing Japan too, no-one will underestimate the Asians again!

Germany vs england

Wow what a match, germany started out strong and won 4-0 vs australia, but than lost against serbia, and now they won 1-0 against ghana but didn't show a strong game! They showed a lot of promise after the first game but are a very strong team, with a winning mentality. Germans always perform very well at the world cups. England on the other hand is playing very uninspired footy. They have struggled in the group stage tieing agains usa, and algeria, and winning a very boring game vs slovenia, they havent showned much this world cup, but both teams have a lot of history specially history going against each other both teams have a great roster is going to be a great game to watch!

Don't know about this one.... I have a feeling England will win though. My crystal ball doesn't give me a scoreline however! Definitely not going to penalties I think
Rodyro (Ajax) 4 years ago
If going to penaltys, il fancy the germans.

Usa vs ghana

Ghana showed a good showing today at the game vs germany, they had a lot of chances, and are a very strong (physically) team. They beat serbia 1-0, tied with australia at 1, and lost vs germany today.

Usa

They tied with england on the first game, and tied with slovenia but should've won. They won vs algeria, and had a strong showing so far in the world cup. Getting the first in the group proved very lucky to them because they will play vs ghana and not germany clearly a much tougher team than ghana

BigDave (Whitecaps) 4 years ago
Big post; good work.... I think the rugged Uruguayans will prevail over S. Korea with a better defence and Forlan looking better than Park up front. As for Mexico and Argentina? My sentiments for mexico notwithstanding, I realize that argentina are going to be relentless, and in the end, unstoppable. Maradona's tactics have been, I think, totally suspect, but the quality and depth of the squad more than make up for his shortcomings as a coach. Mexico will not be able to organize their defence as well as Nigeria and will concede several goals. Expect some counterattacking flair from the mex side, though.... This could be a colourful and high scoring match.... Possibly 7 goals? Ghana will no doubt outwork and outpace the USA, and with the entire African continent backing them I believe they will make the world take them seriously in the round of 16 with a convincing victory. Germany and England will provide the match of the tournament, I expect, with the english pot now brought to simmer ready to boil. The crowd looks to be a factor in this one as the vuvus are quieting: expect the english fans to lift their team to victory. My prediction: england 3 Germany 2. Gerrard will set the tempo with a couple HARD challenges early, and Rooney will come uncorked and score 2. (note that I'm not a fan of England per se, I just have this feeling....)
Cheers!
StefanJay (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Nice post.... Took you 7 hours the complete With top teams finishing second in their group and many that need a win to finish top we could see some of the favorites go out in the next round.

Uruguay v Rep. Korea will be an pretty evenly contested match I think. Korea have the belief and the spirit to do well, but I think that as a whole Uruguay are the better team and should win 2-1.

Argentina v Mexico will be an entertaining one to watch and look for Mexico to come out strong, but eventually to get worn down by the attack of Argentina. 3-1

Wow Germany v England in the second round. Given their history this could be the match of the round, that is if England come out and play with with desire. England need to stifle the midfield players of Germany if they want to win. Hard to call, but 2-1 Germany

Hmm.... USA v Ghana could be a close one too and both teams need to step up the offensive part of their game and finish their chances. USA 1-0

What do you think Francesco?
Yeah I say that's pretty good! I have the same teams winning
Hahaha it took me that long I kept getting ideaas on how to make the topic more in depth and give more info

Paraguay were the better side for much of their opening clash with defending champions Italy. They took the lead before half time and had plenty of chances to add to their lead.

Unfortunately, a goalkeeping error derailed them and they ended up with just a point.

The result was still a good one and Paraguay followed it up with a good 2-0 win over Slovakia including two of the better goals of the World Cup.

Japan booked their place in the last 16 of the World Cup after outstanding first-half free-kicks from Keisuke Honda and Yasuhito Endo sent them on their way to victory over Denmark in Rustenburg
Impressive during qualifying, Paraguay doesn't possess the big names like some other sides.
Japan lost only 0-1 vs Netherlands, and won 1-0 cameroon, they have shown good footy so far.

Paraguay v Japan you say......
Both teams have a strong work ethic and they always push for victory at all costs. Japanese players are pretty fast on the ball but sometimes tend to be too defensive. It looks like that is changing however after seeing them play at the World Cup. If they play defensive against Paraguay they'll lose. Paraguay has a lot of skillful dribblers and they know what they are doing too.
This game should be a good one to watch! I'm not sure how these teams usually fare beyond the group stages but I see them both upping the ante. This game will probably end with Paraguay edging it 2-1 but I'm hoping for Japan 2 Paraguay 0

Okubooooo!

Netherlands are only the second team to have a perfect record with argentina after the first round of the world cup, they beat Cameroon 2-1, Japan 1-0, Denmark 2-0, they were missing arjeen robben, but he played today and almost scored, if he manages to come back netherlands is going to be a force to be reckon with.

Slovakia tied versus new zealand 1-1, lost versus paraguay 2-0, but played an amazing game vs italy and knock them out of the world cup! If they play the way they played versus italy than can surprise some people!
Hamsik

Cracking match-up! This can definitely go either way. I think Netherlands will have too much class for Slovakia but that being said Slovakia is extremely unpredictable. I expect another high-scoring game, especially if Robben is fit to play. Neither team has the option of going for a draw so expect fireworks on the field with Netherlands pulling off a 3-1 victory.

Players to watch
Miroslav Stoch v Gregory van der Wiel

Expect sparks to fly when the pair renew aquaintances here in the Round of 16. Miroslav Stoch, an attacking midfielder who spent last year on loan from Chelsea with Dutch champions Twente, will find himself facing Gregory van der Wiel, right-back of Ajax. A fascinating duel awaits between these two fine prospects.
The meeting between the Netherlands and Slovakia is the first since the central European nation became an independent country. However, the Oranje faced the former Czechoslovakia once before at a FIFA World Cup, losing 3-0 after extra time at France 1938
CHELSEA61 (Footytube Moderator) 4 years ago
Nice work Fancesco! I think Portugal can win tomorrow and Spain are in for the fight of their lives. We'll see it all happen in a matter of hours
StefanJay (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Wow.... Can that be right. Slovakia have an excellent win to loss ratio against the Dutch, 17 goals in nine matches. Even though that stat puts their past into perspective I think that the Dutch will still win, if only by a small margin. 2-1

Japan v Paraguay is a tough match to call because I don't really know a ton about either side. With some of the favorites finishing second, or not qualifying at all, from the group this is one of those times when a smaller, less well know nation can progress deep into the tournament. Based on the work rate and passion that I have seen so far Japan go trough 1-0
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Wow francesco! This is one of your best threads yet! Amazing, it so should be sticky!
Thank youuu, I worked very hard at it!

After a difficult first hour against North Korea, Brazil have picked their game up. They ended up winning 2-1 against North Korea and have since beaten The Ivory Coast 3-1.

So far we haven't seen a traditional Brazilian team. Rather than the flamboyant side that we're all used to, we've been given an efficient and solid side.

There have been moments of brilliance, such as Maicon's goal against North Korea, but for the most part we've seen a team heavily influenced by a defensive Dunga.

Their efficiency combined with their natural flair means that Brazil have the potential to do great things in this tournament, even if Dunga's style of play isn't too popular at home. I'm still not very convinced by the way brazil have played , they tied vs portugal today, and both teams didn't show much play

Chile

Coming into this tournament, Chile hadn't won a World Cup match since 1962.

Two 1-0 wins later, Chile will be feeling far more confident.

They should've scored more goals than they have, but they have looked good going forwards and have the potential to score against any side.

Chile face off against Spain in their final group match. They need a draw to ensure qualification but could go through even if they lose.

Given their attacking philosophy and Switzerland's triumph over the Spaniards, defeat will be the last thing on their minds.

A win against Argentina during qualifying shows that they can compete with the big guns. They will need to perform just like that if they want to progress further

Players to watch
Kaka (BRA) v Jorge Valdivia (CHI)

The Brazil playmaker remains an idol at Sao Paulo, where he first rose to prominence before setting sail for AC Milan, while his Chilean counterpart was an iconic figure for oh Tricolor Paulista's regional rivals Palmeiras, firing 24 goals in 93 appearances between 2006 and 2008. Despite those contrasting club allegiances, the two players perform a similar function on the pitch and how they fare could well prove key to this game. Their vision, the quality of their passing and their set-piece pedigree could all potentially make the difference at either end, with neither defence noted for being porous or naive
Chile have crossed paths on two previous occasions at this level, in the semi-finals at Chile 1962 and in the Round of 16 at France 1998. A Canarinho prevailed in both games, scoring four goals each time to triumph 4-2 and 4-1 – an omen, perhaps, for a feast of attacking football at Ellis Park Stadium

Spain
Spain have played there style of footy all world cup long, they were surprised by switzerland in the first game but managed to win the last 2. I still have some doubts on the players del bosque is chosing to play, I don't see why sergio busquets is starting over some other players like fabregas, navas, silva. They have a very strong team and a hell of a line up

Portugal
They won convincingly vs north korea but have not convinced at all this world cup, they tied at 0 versus versus coite d'ivoir and brazil. Ronaldo is not playing like a team player, he plays for the flashing lights and cameras. They need to find a way to utilize ronaldo's talents but some1 has to bring him back to earth

CanonsofArsene (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Thanks for this incredible post! I actually chuckled when you posted the player focus images for this game too because frankly, these teams are absolutely stacked - you could have picked anyone really! But its interesting how how you picked Villa and Ronaldo - - - Villa has indeed been absolutely phenomenal for Spain this world cup, but Ronaldo on the other hand - very disappointing, for me at least. Ronaldo doesn't seem to be able to function well with the Portuguese team, who have some really good players -

My thoughts on this game -

Historically, as the stats show, Spain have clearly been the dominant side yet that hardly matters because going into this game, Spain and Portugal have become the second and third highest rank nations, respectively. On paper, this is bound to be one of the most thrilling match-ups, and I am tempted to just simply say Spain will pull out slightly superior.

But this is football of course and we have seen Spain struggle to pull out of their group and their style of play has been exposed for its flaws (as the Swiss so kindly demonstrated). For me the problem is not a lack of enough defensive-mindedness in the team (as much of the media suggest), but rather a hesitancy and timidness the Spanish team have been showing in their attacks. Spain, imo, do not need Busquets (and not just because he is such a diver) because the way they play, there is always a player who will end of occupying that defensive midfield 'hole, ' without needing a permanent, specialized DM player.... I completely agree how you mentioned that someone like Navas, Silva and especially FABregas would be a far better option as they complement Spain's play better. Also, although I am not going to predict the winner here, I would say that Spain will dominate possession against Portugal as did Brazil, so they should now think about how to use that possession rather than getting nervous over defence. Because really, Spain's possession is their greatest defensive asset, now lets turn it into the genuine attacking force it should be!

One final thing - Please, please, please Start Fabregas! I absolutely screamed his name out when he came on as a sub in that Chile game and the entire pub turned around to glare at me before screaming his name themselves! I guess I just love Cesc too much but it would be nice to see him get a goal in!
Players to watch

David Villa v Cristiano Ronaldo
The Spanish striker’s three-goal haul so far at South Africa 2010 has taken his tally at FIFA World Cups to six in total, making Barcelona’s new signing his country’s highest ever scorer in the competition. The flying Portuguese winger, for his part, has struck just once to date in South Africa despite claiming the Budweiser Man of the Match award in each of his side’s three matches. The Real Madrid forward needed a total of 17 shots to score his solitary goal, which came in the demolition of Korea DPR, though Ronaldo can count himself unfortunate to have been denied by the woodwork on two occasions already
The Cape Town clash will be the two teams’ first meeting at a FIFA World Cup, but the pair share a lengthy footballing history featuring no fewer than 32 previous matches. Spain have the edge with 15 wins to just five victories for Portugal, though the latter are unbeaten in the duo’s matches at continental finals: drawing 1-1 at the 1984 UEFA European Championship and winning 1-0 at the 2004 edition of the same competition
Crystal ball says that Portugal will foul and dive all game long while the Spanish will pass and harass the ref to dish out cards. Spain to score in the 90th minute after beginning an intricate move in the first half.... 1-0 to Spain
I was right!!
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Close, though spain dived too
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Francesco, this topic seems to be you just copying and pasting lumps of text from FIFA.Com

Link: www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/round=249717/match=3...

Why not just link to FIFA.Com from the first post and be done? It's a well known guideline that we prefer people to link to their sources and not act as if other peoples work is all their own work
We have the final 8! And 4 out of the final 8 are south american, as a south american I am very happy about that! We have a lot of interesting mathces coming up!
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
And 1 African, 3 european should be interesting

Kick4Life - changing lives through football