Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Is The World Cup Really The "highest Level" Of Football?
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Of course The World cup is at the highest level what do you care most for your country or a club? There is a certain pride you get as a player when you represent your country.
When you have a whole nation watching you knowing every time you get on the field you represent them. Just that alone is extreme pressure. Even people that are not fans of the sport will tune in Who know how many people start getting into the sport just because of their country being represented! Do I have to get into the other technical aspects of football that make it better? Shm! People on footytube too funnythis thread mad my day
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
The thing is that with the national teams, there is generally alot more technical/individual ability to succeed. You can't just rely on your team, because your team doesn't know eachother so well at times (unless your german). What's more, since your not used to playing with these players, there is a higher chance for locker room disruptions and dissagreements on the pitch rather than having a team mentality. In that sense, the world cup is by far the most difficult level anyone can play at.

However at club level, since you are playing against actual teams and not individuals, winning is not as easy as it may be at the world cup. There is much more teamplay involved with the chemistry. The level of play in my oppinion is higher, however whether it is more difficult or not is hard to guage
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
No most certainly not. Club football at the highest level is the best quality by far. National teams don't have the time to get to know each other enough don't work as well together and numerous other problems.

Plus the refs suck
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 4 years ago
Emotionally definitely yes! And that is why overall quality of football itself will never be higher than in the club level! In club football you get to play competitions every year, so players get many chances to win trophies, while you get to play WC every for years, if you are lucky enough to qualify! There is also pressure of representing your nation, for some even opportunity score better contracts with clubs, simply too many factors for football to be just a game! And as most of footballers openly tell you, they would rather win it, than play pretty...
StefanJay (Arsenal) 4 years ago
The level of football is higher in club footy because a manager of a top team can choose any formation they like and handpick players for specific positions out of the whole international talent pool.

Managing in the WC is harder 'caus you get what players you have and you are forced to make tactics based on those players and not based on your opposition. Oh, and annually changing ball sizes and weights and inconsistent refereeing standards make for less entertaining play
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I think that the higher level of football are euro and champions league, in euro they are less teams so is harder to qualify and teams have more quality.

In club football champions league clearly takes the cake
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I think the only real competition that could qualify for this would be something similar to the Club World Cup, just because there are so many teams outside of Europe that can compete at the highest level....

The World Cup is just the best international squad exhibit, though. It's god for the game, but to find the ultimate, you would have to either have every national side play every other national side there is at least once and see who the better team is for each time.... Because small teams upset the bigs all the time in qualifying, so it stands to reason that if qualifying for, say, the World Cup wasn't held in Confederation qualifying-type ways, we would see a lot more teams with quality scrapping to the top. Sometimes, I think, some of the best teams get a poor draw in how they are fitted into the geography of football; they have to compete against a lot of very good squads and favorites always get knocked out. It's disappointing.

But it would take years to stage an exhibition like the one that it would actually take to field all the teams worthy and pit them against each other to find the ultimate sqaud. For now, yes, the World Cup is the best. Even if a national side is weak compared to a club team, the cohesion within a team of nationals is multiplied as opposed to a squad of mixed foreigners; very often I think you would have to give it to even weak national sides. I'll simply say the the WC is better than the UCL because it is a better competition, not a better spectacle.
StefanJay (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Haha, a world round robin tournament would take like 20 years to complete. Some players would retire in the middle of it
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 4 years ago
Lol...
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Hahaha, yeah.... It would take longer to finish than a Stephen King novel...
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
That's what makes it so hard to figure out who the best team is, or if a "the best team" ever could exist. There's too many variables. And it would take forever. Ugh just forget it lol
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 4 years ago
This is not the highest level of Footy.... Not by a longshot. You gotta' stop listening to the talkin heads.... They love to hear themselves.... And it is amazing how wrong most of them are.... And these guys are supposed to be the best commentators? Hardly.

The champions league is the tops. Always will be
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Definetly NOT, the champions league is by far the best football tournament in the world as most of the worlds best are involved.
The world cup doesent always have the worlds greatest players in attendance, and when they do the opposition is crap, so it comes second behind the champions league for me
[account-removed] 4 years ago
You can match up brazil or argentina or any south american country with any club in the world and the south american country will still win the game.... And for chanzNYbull do you really think any of the teams you mentioned above are better than spain? Lol.... Or even better than usa? No I don't think so.... The world cup is soo much harder than the champions level because even players like wayne rooney and fernando torres can't perform well in national level.... But in club levels they are some of the best strikers in the world...
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Which do you think is superior in terms of degree of difficulty? Champions League or WC?

To that question, I answer: World Cup. Reason being - You only gets so many chance to win the Cup. The most probably 4-5. To be able to enter in the World cup 3 times, it'd mean only 2 thing.
1) You have been performing at the highest level and among the best in doing that for 12 years minimum. Any dip of form might see your chance gone. (Look: Ronaldinho)
2) Your country's pool of talent is small, and you are the few superstar of the team. (Say if Fletcher of MUFC sucks for 2 years, I'm still quite sure he'll get call up into the team. Whether of not the Scots qualify for WC is another matter.
So being at the top of your game for nearly a decade is one thing, There's also the need of luck in the draw, the form of your team in the tourney (seldom does 1 player carries a team to WC victory, Maradona is an exception, Luis Ronaldo is arguably another in 98, even though Brazil loses that one, you could see how much they depended on him to get to the final).

So if its comes down to which is harder to Win, World cup no doubt. But if you are comparing club team to National team, that's another matter altogether. Because if you choose Barca as the top club team, There's always Brazil available for comparison. If you choose the next best Option: Real Madrid, then Spain is there as where. Its not a fair comparison to do that but judging team's strength and performances, I would say there's not much of a difference.

Ltm017 4 years ago
I agree with what you said. Its just much easier for club teams because they can go out and pick players to suit their teams and best players for each position while Countries have to deal with what they have. I mean for some they don't really have that player that plays in particular position but they have to get converted. World Cup you only get so many chances and you don't get to play teams twice. Its just much harder and if it much harder then it is a higher level
Very true, player transfers and frequency of the champions league tournaments make it a little easier to fail and then come back and win without having to wait too long. Talent pool is a big factor in making the WC harder to win.
Also, the tournaments are held during the summer, so players have to push on after their respective club seasons usually with blazing hot daytime conditions! Not so easy to run around at full speed for 90-120 minutes in the hot sun with the weight of a nation on your shoulders...
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Oh, to add-on, look at where the World's finest superstar in Football- Messi and Ronaldo got in World cup. No goals and a single digit respectively at this World cup. Being the best in the world but couldn't translate the form on World stage. Admittingly, both set of coaches fail to utilise their best players, but it goes to show how hard it is to win the tournament
Hill (Arsenal) 4 years ago
If you choose Barca though you're essentially choosing Spain. So Spain vs Brazil. Haha
Joeymac (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Another factor is pressure. When the world cup rolls around, media can cause a team to collapse, and coaches as well. Also, in the world cup, egos play a huge role. Players think they deserve a spot, where in a club players know their role. Just look at france. Those just make it harder for the world cup to be won
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Club football is a higher level because they play each week, with some of the best players around. Of course to be classed as the best player you need to peform at the World Cup, and it does have it momemnts, but club football is better
Sailenns (Chelsea) 4 years ago
ChazNYbullsAIK* Do you mean to say, Portsmouth team is better than English National team?
Maybe we should play them against each other on pes/fifa and find out!
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Haha, yeah, he made a point, but to claim Salt Lake or Portsmouth would make efinitely the quarters is laughable
CHELSEA61 (Footytube Moderator) 4 years ago
David James playing in goal for both sides That would be funny!
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Fail for both teams haha
I think when they say the highest level of football they probably are commenting on the importance of the tournament to the world. The World Cup is significant politically and culturally in ways that other tournaments can never begin to approach. Gameplay is a different story though It's not as intricate or exotic as Champions League football because too much is at stake in a World Cup, so the gameplans tend to be simpler than the gameplan for a typical Champions League fixture...
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Great point, the WC transcends a lot of boundaries and brings about a spirit of togetherness it brings in entire nations, who put aside their club loyalties and line up the streets in the thousands to see their team play in their country's colours. Therein lies a level of mass hysteria and excitement which no other competition or event of any kind could come close to. One could argue that actually makes for better football viewing and enjoyment.

As far as the football goes, most people are inclined to say that club football especially the European elite and such have a higher quality of gameplay - primarily because they have players who train on a near daily basis and are much more accustomed to each other as opposed to national team training sessions. I wouldn't swap the weekly action of league football over tournament football that lasts a month. That being said though, the WC will almost always be the tournament that leaves lasting iconic images in your head. The kind of memories where you'll remember where you were when it happened
MrPoopyPants (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Excellent points gentlemen
Premoli (Werder Bremen) 4 years ago
I co-sign with you guys.
But I think when it comes to the quarterfinals there are only strong teams left.
Teams need an unique spirit to win the trophy.
ChazNYbullsAIK (New York Red Bulls) 4 years ago
.... Even Portsmouth would be in the quarters.... Valencia, Palermo, Everton, or even Real Salt Lake as well.... Spurs, Man you, Chelsea would be there in the end.... & Barca and RM would sleepwalk to the finals.... Inter? Whadda you think? They could start 10 men and win it...
Joeymac (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Or tie lol. But I don't know. You think portsmouth, RSL, palermo could be in the QF?

Kick4Life - changing lives through football