Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Is It Time For "Golden Generation" Teams To Disband?
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Over the course of this World Cup a few teams with the best players of their generation playing side by side together have underperformed. Teams such as Ivory Coast, Cameroon, France, Netherlands, Italy, England have all been described at certain points in time as being Golden Generation teams but they don't have the achievements to go hand in hand with that billing. Of course the teams mentioned are in different stages (I.E. Some are worse off than others) but the thing they have in common is reliance on the old guard who haven't really achieved that much. Is it time for a change? What's your opinion?

Hill (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Cote D'Ivoire I say no. The last two World Cups they've been screwed with the group they get.

Netherlands: No. Sneijder, Robben, Kuyt, RvP, van der Vaart, van Bommel, and I know I'm missing many more. Need I say more?

France: Haha Obviously. I'm still not sure why they left Nasri and Benzema at home

Italy: Yes, obviously again. They're old, out of sync, and none of their 30 some year olds will be around next world cup. So half that squad.

Cameroon: I don't know enough about them, but it would seem they need something different.

England: I think all their players are in their prime or hitting their prime. The majority of the squad is back for the next World Cup right? Again, I don't know
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Citing teams after the 1980s.... (I don't want to bring the glory 1974s or what teams into argument.)

Cote D'Ivoire I say no. The last two World Cups they've been screwed with the group they get. (Copied. Lazy to type the same.... )

Netherlands: I don't see this batch of kids of Golden Gen. The 1988 side with Gullit and Van Basten are probably better in terms of natural talent.

France : Golden generation without a Superstar footballer? (Zidane) Probably the 1998 is better. This current one has lots of talents no doubt. They need a better coach to deliver the results.

Italy: The less said the better. 2006 was better.

Cameroon: Not the best Cameroon side ever. Can't consider them as Golden Gen.

England: Probably so. But they are often overhyped, and England's gameplay are over decades long. They are not changing to suit time. The current trend of football is 4-2-3-1/4-3-3, yet England are only comfortable in 4-4-2
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Cote D'Ivoire I agree with Andrew, I think they should basically remain the same team, they need Drogba for his leadership, and he won't be that old in 2014, 35 I believe. Gervinho is also a great player I don't know why he didn't play very much in this World Cup.

Netherlands, still have everyone from their team except Ruud Van Nistelrooij, who has essentially been replaced by Klaas Jan Huntelaar(maybe not the same caliber of Ruud, but still a great player). Seedorf has been replaced by Sneijder.

France, once Zidane headbutted Materazzi, there was no more golden age for French football, certainly yes they need a complete redux of their team.

Italy, I have always been skeptical of Italian football, a lot of acting and diving. But they do have more World Cup trophies than any other European country so they are a force, I have just never liked them or their style of play. And this year they made me happy by playing terrible, so yes they need a new team.

Cameroon? I don't know they didn't qualify for 2006 did they, so it would be hard for me to say they were in a golden age. However they were successful for the past few World Cups, so I don't know, Sammy Eto'o is certainly aging, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him back at the World Cup in Rio de Janeiro.

England, need a complete overhaul in my eyes, they need young players who aren't already making millions of dollars to prove themselves to the world
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 3 years ago
The thing is that in many of these cases, teams have no choice but to rely on the old guard. Who else did england really have to choose from? Whether it be england, france (I don't really consider this their golden generation.... That generation already won many things), italy, ivory coast, etc. they just didn't have enough depth to choose from to even be able to consider breaking up the old guard. Italy should have brought a few of their younger players yes, but england? Ivory coast? Cameroon? They have no other choices. There is a huge gap in class between the golden boys of these teams and those who didn't recieve call-ups
England will soon go the way of Italy if all the top clubs prefers foreigners to English players
Yeah that's also very true Blueskiesahead. The talent pool is certainly lower in certain countries, but, I've found that even so you'll find that even when they unearth new players coaches tend to rely on the tried and true old guard. Imagine if you will, next year or the year after, a young English striker starts making headlines, proves that he has the ability to go places. Do you think the English manager will replace Rooney and go with this guy as the main striker? I don't think it'll happen...
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 3 years ago
You do have a point. Though I do happen to remember a very young michael owen recieve that call-up. I think we need a passionate english manager though to really make a difference
CanonsofArsene (Arsenal) 3 years ago
The main problem with this generation of English players? (I will be focussing by discussion as a response to today's Ger-Eng game) There is just no investment being made into the youth system as of current, say compared to the German clubs who really emphasize it. But there is a lot of underlying problems, compounding into the dreadful result as we say today.

Firstly, England really need a manager who is willing to contemplate the future rather than present success, which will evade the team anyway as we saw today. The real model in today's game of a new batch of youthful, energetic, creative players playing alongside and then succeeding the golden generation would be Germany, as well as the South American sides, and many other less prominent nations who are prepared to give their unproven youngsters a chance without having to mentally bully themselves into playing their overpaid millionaire faces, such as England. Part of the problem is also their appointment of Capello in their greedy attempt to scramble away with a WC with their current crop of ageing 'stars, ' which has expectedly failed, as we saw today.

In short, what I really want to say - and I have said this before and I say it again - England, as well as France and Italy will have to lose their arrogance and naiveté in thinking that they will always somehow scrape that result form their experience, and for just being who they are, and if things don't go according to plan, they can single out the goalie, or another certain player, or Wayne Rooney's temper.... That's a mentality which will crumble under any real opposition as we saw today.

Furthermore, I think today in the Germany game, we saw the true extent of the damages that clubs like Man City, Chelsea have done to the English game. Don't bring Arsenal into the argument that they have no English players, because of course we don't want to carry any of those overpaid ego-mad players, (I. E. Ca$hley Cole), but we are breeding England's new generation already - Wilshere, Walcott (who should have been on the team), Lansbury, Gibbs, etc; Don't get me wrong as I think this golden-generation are talented to some measures but can they succeed as a team, that is the question here!

England have talent as one of the biggest footballing nations in the world but that's when the management have let down the fans and now, everyone will have to be patient, eight years at least before they are able to fully undo their present follies...
Yeah, with regards to England, the players are almost the same as under Sven Goran Erickson and Steve Mclaren. They can’t work under ANY England manager. It seems they’re more worried about losing face than a game. Anyone blaming Capello is missing the point. The players get led into thinking they are the best in the world and when they realize the hype is just hype, they get stressed out and self destruct. The problem is the style of play that is valued in England and this gets ingrained from the grass-roots level.

With regards to fixing the problem, you need to look at the youth coaching set-up. England has less Grade A UEFA trained coaches than most of the other countries in Europe, and they ALL coach adults. In Spain they have 750 fully qualified Grade A UEFA trained coaches compared to under 150 in England. 640 of the Grade A coaches in Spain teach young children in schools how to play the game properly. Apparently 15 years ago the youth set-up was changed and now things are starting to get results.

The Premier League is stronger than the FA as well. The setup encourages young professionals to come play and they are not in a hurry to change it. So much money is at stake no manager is willing to let their players go off for international duty and work with the national team. On top of that, international players mean more money from fans around the world AND those players are often cheaper than the English footballers who may or may not be better
I’m really surprised that teams with so much talent per position underperform at tournaments. How is it that amazing club performances don’t become amazing country performances? Looking at the stats you wonder why they’re even called a Golden Generation though....

Ivory Coast (Cote D’Ivoire) has been declining since 2006. In the African Cup of Nations tournament they were 2nd in 2006, 4th in 2008 and then they exited in the Quarter Finals in 2010. In 2006 they exited the Germany World Cup in the group stages, same as this World Cup. They performed better at this World Cup however. Regarded as their Golden Generation because of the fact that the majority of their players ply their trade in the best teams around the world, but it has never translated into great achievements for their country. Key players are aging and at 36 Drogba will be unable to have the same impact over the next 4 years, younger elephants need to stomp into the team soon.

France has suffered since the retirement of Zidane, who was responsible for their good performances under Domenech. Maybe they share the same zodiac sign? Anyhoo, they exited Euro 2004 at the Quarter Final stage, were runners up at 2006 World Cup, then exited Euro 2008 at the Group Stage and exited 2010 World Cup at the Group Stage with players bickering all the way to the airport.complete overhaul needed is what the stars say.

Italy
After finishing in 9th place at Euro 2004, Italy peaked by winning the World Cup in 2006. Then followed 5th place at Euro 2008 with an early exit at the 2010 World Cup. Dour performances and a spectacular capitulation to Slovakia after an underwhelming campaign built around aging players means they definitely need to inject new blood into the squad. Many players to retire from the Azzuri and probably a change at the top is coming. They really need to let the younger players get on the field.

England
England’s track record with their Golden Generation is underwhelming. They got to the Quarter Finals at Euro 2004, then the Quarter Finals at the 2006 World Cup. This was followed by not qualifying for Euro 2008 and exiting the 2010 World Cup in the Second Round. Despite a stellar qualification for this most recent World Cup, it seems like it’s time to say goodbye to the footballers who are there on reputation only. Too spoilt by Premier League success and they don’t seem to appreciate playing for their country.

Netherlands
Netherlands are the eternal underachievers when you compare the quality of the squad to their actual achievements. From reaching the semi-final in Euro 2004, they exited the 2006 World Cup in the Round of 16 after the ‘Battle of Nuremberg’ and got to the Quarter Final of Euro 2008 and still in the 2010 World Cup at this time. Before the World Cup started there were rumours of dressing room instability and players being hard to manage. Despite good performances in qualifying for the World Cup, their recent performances have been far different from expectations. This Golden Generation is still relatively younger than the rest but it’s unsure whether or not they’ll do better than the rest in the future.

Cameroon
Their African cup of Nations record goes like this: 2000 Winners, 2002 Winners, 2004 Quarter Finals, 2006 Quarter Finals, 2008 Second Place and 2010 Quarter Finals. They seem to be doing okay in the African circuit but not good enough on the global stage. Despite having qualified for every World Cup since 1990, they weren’t able to qualify in 2006 and then limped out of the 2010 World Cup after losing all three group stage games. It seems like they are already thinking of making huge shake-ups to the squad....

I think that with the exception of the Netherlands who already have a good youth system in place it’s time for change for these teams.
Rob12 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
England havent actually had a good football team snice 1970.... 1990 was a great sqaud but as soon as they played a big team they lost.

I hope players like Lampard, Gerrard etc go. The only player who deserves a spot still from this England sqaud is Ashley Cole
Pusky (Olympique Lyon) 3 years ago
I think Cameroon, France and England needs new managers, they have good players but they need some change (a few new players, new taktics....). Italy - yes this the only team that its golden generation is over they need more young players and maybe 2 or 3 experienced leaders like Buffon or Pirlo can stay. Netherlands and Ivory Coast - I don't see nothing wrong with them. Ivory Coast had tough grop but they did not play bad. Netherland, in my opinion their golden generation is gone, but they play good football, not the fancy one like argentina or brazil but still nice
Have to agree.... I'm hoping that the Netherlands do actually achieve something this World Cup so that they have something to show for all their talent and take them out of this bracket
C'mon Oranje!
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Agreed! Of course I'm a big holland fan. Lets go and destroy fifa's #1 ranked team, what do they know anyways
Yeah man, going to be hard but I hope they play well against Brazil and move forward  
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Well It's really big, whoever wins the game has a huge chance of winning the whole thing
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
I have stated in an earlier post that I would have a BIG clear out at england, the only defender I would deffo keep is ashley cole, the rest are rubbish, john terrys finished, upson just doesent cut it, and theres no way glenn johnsons a full back, he could nt tackle a sunday lunch.
I would also ship out lampard, lennon, james, and a few other fringe players.
I would bring the likes of jagielka, and dawson into the team, bale, johnson.
The right back slot might be hard to fill, I need ti think about that one.... Lol.
Another factor I think for the england demise is the lack of english players playing overseas, they are in a comfort zone most of the time, and when they have to go away to join up for tournaments, they are at a loss, where as foreign players playing all over the world are used to that scenario, and take to joining up like ducks to water, so its another factor to think about.
And why is it not many english players play abroad?
Pay is better in England?
Rob12 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I think the defence should have players like Shawcross and Dawson in, get rid of Terry and that
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Another point is, don't put too much emphasis on wayne rooney, in fact englands last match I would have dropped rooney and went with defoe and crouch, theres no way I would make wayne a definite starter for every game, that's when complacency sets in when he's under no pressure for his position
Bale is Welsh right? Maybe he and Ramsey can be drafted into the English squad if they live in England long enough They would definitely add something fresh to the team if they do that!

I think English players really do need to step out of England as you said Tony! Becks, Owen and the older heads like Lineker and Hughes did and brought back so much experience and skill with them it only makes sense. Maybe they should learn languages as well as football theory?
I also agree with de-emphasizing Rooney's importance, to easy to break up England's tactics if it's all based around Rooney...
I guess, besides Ivory Coast (due to lack of choices) and the Netherlands (due to having genuine quality players) the answer is yes then?
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I think there are too many players that get preferential treatment.

Or don't have to go through trials like some other players that have to fight for spots.

Or are considered locks because they performed well in one system, but not in another

Or are simply the fan favorites that have been willed to the top of the pile.

There are such deep talent pools for the developed countries to pull from that there is no excuse for lousy teams like the ones we have seen this year. I think Fabio Capello is a prime example, trying to bend and stretch players into a system just because they were all the best the country had- did it do much good in the end?

Sometimes it's the cogs in the machine that make it work best. I don't think the Ghanas, Paraguays, Uruguays of the world have to worry about team cohesion or fitting a system. It's the France's, Englands, Italys of the world that are failing because of both bad management and uninventive team selection strategies. Because this World Cup we learned that sticking all the best players on a pitch doesn't always work (even Maradona somehow figured that one out- Veron?).

It's the teams that spend time together and don't compete against each other regularly that are doing the best. Every Asian team in this Cup trained at altitude in a camp this year, forming bonds and building lung capacity. Uruguay and Paruguay had no issues with this either. Ghana is obviously a close squad of youngsters, while Germany is a close squad of german youngsters (why they are a favorite). There is no enough that can be said about how team bonding and training can help a team, and England, France, etc. Just did not get enough of it

Kick4Life - changing lives through football