Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Interesting World Cup 2010 Tidbits
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Hey guys, as a lead up to the World Cup, I thought you might like to read some interesting trivia about some of the participating countries in this year's World Cup
[Especially for those of you in countries without the FourFourTwo magazine ]

 Odds of South Africa winning the World Cup are 100 to 1

 u.S.A. Fans have bought the most tickets to see World Cup games, followed by England

 Uruguayan right-winger Alcides Ghiggia who scored the winner against Brazil in 1950 is the oldest man alive to have scored in a World Cup final

 South Korea were the only unbeaten team in the Asian zone during qualifying

 England have drawn more games at World Cup finals than any other side to have reached four or more tournaments. England is also the highest scoring team in World Cup qualifying with 34 goals in 10 matches

 The USA’s best finish at the World Cup was 3rd in 1930, one better than this tournament’s favourites Spain

 Slovenia is the smallest country to qualify for two consecutive World Cups

 Germany have not beaten any of the big footballing nations (Argentina, Brazil, England, France, Holland, Italy or Spain) at a tournament in regulation time or after extra time since 1990.

 Australia had the meanest defence during their qualifying campaign. They conceded 1 goal in 8 matches

 The tallest player at the World Cup will be Serbia’s Nikola Zigic at 6’8” (2.03m)

 This World Cup will be Dejan Stankovic’s third World Cup for a different country (Yugoslavia in 1998, Serbia-Montenegro in 2006 and Serbia in 2010)

 The oldest manager is Otto Rehhagel (Greece) at 71 years old

 The youngest manager is Vladimir Weiss (Slovakia) at 45 years old

 The oldest outfield player is Cuauhtemoc Blanco (Mexico) at 37 years old

 Japan has never won a World Cup match overseas

 This year is the 100th anniversary of Italy’s first ever international football match

 The Paraguayans speak the native American language Guarani on the field to avoid being understood by Spanish speaking opponents

 Rory Fallon who scored the goal against Bahrain that sent New Zealand to the World Cup represented England when he was younger but switched to New Zealand

 North Korea’s striker Jong Tae-se who plays in Japan’s J-League is called ‘The People’s Rooney”

 c. Ronaldo’s last competitive goal for Portugal was against Czech Republic in Euro 2008. He hasn’t scored for the national team since.

 Ivory Coast won the Cup of Nations in 1992 and the credit was taken by two local witch doctors. But when they weren’t paid, they cursed the team and they struggled until 2004. After settling the bill with $2000 and a bottle of whiskey Ivory Coast promptly qualified for their first ever World Cup.

 Spain set a new record during qualification with a perfect 10 out of 10 record.

FourFourTwo-Complete Guide to the World Cup
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
What an interesting assortment of tidbits
Each tastier than the next I hope
Rowley87 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
"c. Ronaldo’s last competitive goal for Portugal was against Czech Republic in Euro 2008. He hasn’t scored for the national team since. "

Thanks for the tip. He's only in my Dream Team.... Grr. Time for a replacement.
Surely he'll score at the World Cup though Should keep him in!
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Ha, nah I've just replaced him to
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
That's true, ronaldo never scored one goal in portugals qualifying group stages, amazing to think he couldn't muster even 1 goal
Lol! Oh ye of little faith! I'm no see Ronaldo fan but surely he'll pull it out of the bag for the World Cup
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Well the world cup now in hindsight, ronaldo still didn't score.... Lmao, all the big names went missing in this world cup, like ronaldo, rooney, messi, pretty dull wc to be honest
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 3 years ago
But Ronaldo did score that one goal against North Korea didn't he? The one where the ball rolled on his head and he tapped it in, lol
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Did he? , I musta missed it, handball anyway.... Lol  
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Yeah Ronaldo fluked a goal. It bounced up and off the back of his head I think and landed nicely for him to tap it in
Ltm017 4 years ago
Those are interesting. I really enjoyed reading. Especially about Australia and their defence only conceding one goal. W2G for them. Yet that sure wasn't what happen with the US Team though
Charlie (Barcelona) 4 years ago
The Paraguayans speak the native American language Guarani on the field to avoid being understood by Spanish speaking opponents

Really? That is interesting. I want to say learning an entire language to compete for the World Cup but I'm sure it's just a few key phrases
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Well they didn't have to learn it.... At least not all of them. It's native to some of the Southern America's, including Paraguay.

But all you would need is the phrases I guess
Winbad903 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Interestin facts, thanks for shering.  
Rossonero (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Hahha, I really like this one of the Paraguay! And.... 5/5! Bravo!
A couple more I found!

-This is also the first World Cup with no debutants. Every team playing in this tournament has already qualified before with minnows North Korea playing in 1966 and New Zealand and Honduras both at the 1982 World Cup. Although this is Slovakia's first tournament as an independent nation, they were last at the World Cup in 1994 when they were still part of Czechoslovakia.

- Diego Maradona will make his FIFA World Cup coaching debut against Nigeria, the same team he faced in his last finals appearance as a player at the 1994 finals in the USA.

Read more at Suite101: FIFA World Cup Trivia and Facts Link: internationalsoccer.suite101.com/article.cfm/world...
Prejsu (KKS Lech Poznan) 4 years ago
Nice job Jet. I would be really amused and impressed if you said that you gathered all that info but I wonder about one thing. Stankovic played for Yugoslavia in '98, it's just strange that they still used that name after Yugoslavia fell apart in 1992 and in fact it was only Serbia and Montenegro at that time. Croatians had to be really annoyed during that tournament
Yeah, that's what I saw in the article.... Seemed accurate! Maybe I should've written a disclaimer at the bottom about the accuracy
StadeNyonnais (Liverpool) 4 years ago
It was yugoslavia who played in the 1998 world cup.
Because not everything was setteled before the qualifiying campaign started they kept the yugolsavian footbqall team to compete in the qualifiers and they made it to the world cup

If you have it, check in your 1998 panini sticker book, it says jugoslavia

Thanks for this link by the way there are loads of intersting facts
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
They were called Yugoslavia still in 1998 you're correct
Lucky! I thought I was spreading false information in the footytube universe
Yeah I know you were right, I just thought that it was strange because the name of the country did not change at all, even though it was already a completely different country, without Slovenia, Bosnia, Croatia.... And I wonder if they did that on purpose just to piss off the Croatians. As a side note, I still have that sticker book
-Nine teams competing in the World Cup will be wearing environmentally friendly jerseys made from recycled plastic bottles. Brazil, the Netherlands and Portugal are among the teams who will be sporting the shirts made in Taiwan.

-North Korea are the only nation in this year's World Cup finals not to feature in the top 100 of the official FIFA rankings.

Does anyone think North Korea can escape their group or earn a point from their games in the group stages?
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Doubtful, North Korea aren't going anywhere. As for the kits I bet Nike get more kit sales off of green kits. Double bonus
How many North Korean players are going to defect and stay in South Africa you think? Anyone think they're planning the great escape from Kim Jong Il?
I don't think that any of them will do that. They washed their brains too well back in their home country. I mean, let's take Jong Tae Se. He plays in the J-League, was born in Japan, even had a south korean passport, but has renounced it. It's sad, but the reality is that most of them are not capable anymore to notice what's going on around them, or they simply don't want to notice
I think someone will do a runner!
Lumileppardi (Swansea City) 4 years ago
I'm still chuckling to that one player's nickname, "The People's Rooney"....

I don't think they will get even one point, but then in a single match anything can happen.... Man Utd didn't think they'd go down 0-1 to Leeds or Real Madrid 0-4 to Alcorcón, both 3rd tier teams....
Yup, expect weird/unexpected results at the World Cup.... It's going to be cracking!
New tidbit!    Out of all the countries at the World Cup, only New Zealand left South Africa undefeated!
Chackosan (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Ooh just realised another one. That's the second consecutive WC where the team who knocked out Brazil lost in the finals after being reduced to 10 men
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
I think this edition is the first time Brazil is knocked out in the world cup after scoring first

Kick4Life - changing lives through football