Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
ESPN's First World Cup 2010 Short (video)
Ben (Arsenal) 5 years ago
This is the first video released by ESPN to promote their coverage in the US of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa next summer (can't you feel the tension rising! Just don't blow on your vuvuzelas horns please!)

Made for yanks by yanks!

Hill (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Lies. 100 year advantage.    That commercial sucked.
StrikersMT28 (Seattle Sounders) 4 years ago
Note: this wasn't a commercial, it was a segment on SportsCenter.completely different. If you want real coverage, check out the 'Outside the Lines' report on sa2010
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
That was truly, truly awful and if anything, it slightly turned me OFF football. Thanks
Raf (Atletico Belo Horizonte) 5 years ago
Hahaha well put
Alen (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Yeah I didn't need a history lesson here haha
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Do you think that would actually persuade Americans to get more into football?  Cool facts though, 2billion people in the world love footy!
Cristiano9rocks (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
If I did not know that much about fu'tbol after the last comment ''are you feeling it? '' I would be like lame! The rest was cool about the facts, the people in the back ground were lame!
My main problem was that I had no idea who the people talking were. The people with the most boring voices ever
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
Those were horrible fan reenactments by those actors in the back as well. And wtf, someone was wearing a Raul jersey, someone else a Brasil jersey, then a Barca, and an Arsenal, I'm confused!
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
They should just show this video and anyone will be inspired.  
Alen (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I agree lol this had way more thought put to it than the ad their showing just go to Youtube and you'll find a better one than that ad
Elucari (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Pretty inspiring video
Ben (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Yeah, one hell of an inspirational video by MKB, it has been featured more than once on the old site. Though the point of the thread was to celebrate ESPN's coverage of the WC 2010. Imagine if Fox Soccer Channel had the coverage, with their lamo studio analysts and commentators.... Enough said
Alen (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Yeah that one guy on FSC that says everyones names wrong and always release THE kraken!
StrikersMT28 (Seattle Sounders) 4 years ago
Comentating the other night, "yeah, and Ibra won't be playing tonight, as his swap with et-oooooooo was just finalized recently.... "
EmYouEffSee (Manchester United) 5 years ago
That commercial might have worked if it were tweaked a little bit.... Like with better acting...
My boner for football has deflated a little...
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
They should have hired us to be the cheering crowd, we would have done it much better than them...
Ben (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I think it's an online short from a series called "Fan Feat" so nothing that will be shown on national TV.... But still, can't beat 65hours of WC coverage in the USA, so kudos to ESPN regardless of whether this video sucked. Lets just hope they hire wold class announcers
Pfft. Anything is better than Eric Wynalda giving mundane commentary about the match. He always expects the USA to lose the game no matter what. He's a pessimistic Patsy when he needs to be an optimistic Oliver
EmYouEffSee (Manchester United) 5 years ago
My favorite announcers are derek rae and tommy smyth. If only they could cover every game...
VanPersie (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Tommy smyth makes me laugh but he knows what he is talking about
TheReggular (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I prefer Martin Tyler and Andy Gray
I like to compare Tommy Smyth to John Madden haha. He always makes the most obvious comments!
Ben (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I'd take Andy Gray over the old onion bag (Tommy Smith) any day
TFoAV (Whitecaps) 5 years ago
That definitely is not a WC 2010 promo. Like Ben said, that's a short from a useless summer series that SportsCenter is doing
Raf (Atletico Belo Horizonte) 5 years ago
I mean it is merely for commercial purposes that people try to shove football down American's throats man, it's not like they are struggling to accept it within their daily lives, it's just not that popular, like in a few other countries, so what? But no, they can't have it.... It's the fact that it is the most successful sport in the planet and the US is one hell of a market if they can tap into it. Don't get me wrong they are using each other, as a lot of investors in America would love to have football explode here since it is an untapped source in a country with an effin' (well, we'll see in a couple of years) load of money to put into it. It's not that big of a deal, just leave the US alone, they got their sports with their history and traditions, football just never caught on, no need to become desperate like this commercial, it's not going to work
Yashan (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Wow, god awful. He sounds like a pastor in church on a particularly long service that you want to get out of. And the occasional quips that he makes seemed to be written down on a teleprompter kinda like this:

I just hope they have a plan be
"like a pastor in church on a particularly long service that you want to get out of"
That's right. It was more likea lecture than a sports promo
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
What I like is that Espn is finally accepting soccer slowly but surely. They are covering it more often and even have more news tickers at the bottom of their news thingy. Hopefully Espn's coverage of soccer doesn't drop two years after the world cup
UgoDroPiero (Juventus) 4 years ago
That is rather weird, never saw that one on t. V. Before either. Kind of gay marketing scheme if you ask me. Haha, they're like saying, "Who knew? If it's more popular than hockey? ". Haha

Kick4Life - changing lives through football