Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
England's Best Strike Partnership For South Africa?
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
My feeling is Rooney has to be one of the two strikers in the partnership if this is going to work at all. Now, you need to work out whether you want a brute or a giant to knock the ball to him (Heskey or Crouch) or if you want speed and skill up front beside him. My choice for the partnership is a bog-standard 442 formation, with Rooney and Defoe/Bent up front, and Crouchie on the bench ready to provide height for the last twenty mins if its not happening
TheTorresBounce (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I'd agree, but maybe change up the starting roles between Defoe/Bent and Crouch to keep the opposition guessing. If we're going to get anywhere in this coming World Cup Capello is going to have to nail it tactically because on paper we're not the best team in it by any stretch of the imagination
This post would probs do better in the stands, close if you see fit!
I just placed it in both, no need for two identical topics in two different places. Some people would write in one, other would write in the other and so on.

Wait you placed it in both but there's no need for two identical topics, I don't follow?
Nevermind.... I see what you did, and thanks!
No problem sir, keep up the good work
So anyone got suggestions?
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Sorry dude,Already there are few similar topics like this.
Here-->Link: www.footytube.com/forums/world-cup/which-strikers-...

And Here--->Link: www.footytube.com/forums/general-chat/best-england...
Similar but not the same, please mods don't close this topic, I put so much time into it haha
This is more focused on partnerships as opposed to which strikers we should take!
A huge amount of work went into it so we shouldn't close it, but he is right unfortunately Its a bit unfair on the people that made very similar topics earlier.

It's always worth doing a quick search for :"strikers, forwards, england, world cup" and words like that before making a brand new topic.

All is good though, your blogworthy post is very comprehensive
Yea I did try and search for other posts which were similar, I thought this topic was big enough in itself despite being only slightly different but point taken!
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Sorry about that Torresbounce, didn't read your article completely.... Nice one!
Its all good man, you were right really haha
[blog][/blog]
Capello of course has a wealth of options available, such as target men like Crouch and Heskey and runners in the ilk of Rooney and Defoe. If Capello can strike up an established partnership who can link up well and get the balance right, with Gerrard and Lampard storming forward into the opposition’s box, it could be a long summer of celebration for England. With 6 of the top 15 premiership scorers this season being English (5 not including Lamps who obviously can't be put into the running) we have some great options which will probably lead to some headaches for Capello when it comes to picking a side. He's been favouring a Heskey-Rooney combo in the qualifiers but when it comes to crunch time, just who will the cool-headed Italian give the nod?

I'm going go ahead and that say that Rooney is a a shoe-in for a starting place in SA, assuming he doesn't stub his toe or end up behind bars for shoplifting :p So he can breathe a BIG sigh of relief:

That leaves one place open, the contenders are.... *drumroll*:

Jermain Defoe: Tottenham Hotspur’s Jermain Defoe is arguably England hottest goalscorer right now aside from Rooney. He currently has an aura about him where everything he hits seems to go in, bagged 16 goals in all this season putting him as second top English scorer after Rooney. A quick-thinking striker who matches a poacher's instinct with a thunderous shot from long range. An impact player from the bench who can profit from tiring defenders. Capello might feel a little reluctant to start two like for like strikers in Rooney and Defoe though and Defoe has proven to be selfish on occasion often choosing to take a shot on net instead of pass. The 26-year-old Defoe is starting regularly for Spurs now which is more than can be said for his first spell at White Hart Lane and is bursting with confidence.

Darren Bent: Bent is one of Capello’s few out and out goalscorers and has scored a very respectable 14 goals in 21 appearances in the league this season. Bent has been a clinical finisher all throughout his career and scored 19 goals in 60 for his old club Spurs despite rarely starting. The 25-year-old has scarcely featured for his country though, and has only won four caps since his debut in 2006. He enjoyed a rich vein of form for England’s U21s scoring 9 times in 14 appearances. A Rooney-Bent combo could prove deadly, Bent already features in one of the most potent attacking partnerships in the PL with Jones so why not with Rooney? Plus I hear they have some nice beaches in South Africa ergo lots and lots of beach balls, GRR!

Emile Heskey: Although not rated by many, few can argue the physical power and tenaciousness of Heskey. He doesn't score many goals but works more as a feeder for his strike partner, he gives England a different dimension as he will consistently win the ball in the air and provide a very effective decoy in the area. Capello seems to like the look of this combination and for good reason, Heskey and Rooney both offer the England side an immense workrate, with Heskey’s physical presence and Rooney’s determination off the ball. Heskey can hold up play and wait for others to take up position whilst Rooney can also drift out wide and take on defenders a lot more than Heskey. With 2 goals in 17 games he doesn't appear like a goal-scorer but he has been employed in more of a second striker role at Villa feeding his teammates, he does have the potential to score goals however bagging 23 goals in Liverpool's treble winning year. Known to some as Emile Donkey he'l be keen to prove the critics wrong and keep his balance in SA.

Peter Crouch: The 6' 7'' striker has attracted a lot of attention during his career for his height, but offers more than just aerial ability in his roles for club and country. Inconsistent when it comes to scoring but offers similar benefits to Heskey whilst being less of a one-dimensional player than Heskey. He can be played effectively in any team which he has proven over the years and offers a "Plan B" option when we might need to change things up. Also worth adding...... He can do the robot like a madman! I think he should get the nod just for this: When asked what he would be if he wasn't a football player he replied "a virgin"... Legend!

Michael Owen: He is England’s fourth highest goal scorer ever and his intelligence off the ball is far greater than any other outsider for the World Cup squad. The Chester-born striker guarantees goals and has far more International experience than the likes of Defoe and Crouch and if he can stay fit and keep playing he will surely be bearing away at Capello’s mind. He has been played effectively with Rooney before and now plays in the same side as him so that might be a factor worth considering. Unfortunately for Owen his time may have passed and he may end up stuck at home, on the bright side I hear he's big into golf so he's got something to do at least...

Gabby Agbonlahor: Agbonlahor is a player who can create his own chances, drifting out wide and creating his own space. His range of passing and crossing is also a vital element of his game, not unlike Rooney. He has picked up 8 goals this season in the league and whilst he could be a contender for a place on the plane, his chances of anything more than a sub-role are slim.

Carlton Cole: Only time will tell if Cole is a natural goalscorer at this level but he and Defoe linked up well in a friendly against Holland and he will take heart from the fact that all of his four previous England caps have been under Capello’s reign. If Cole continues his good form, England fans will count themselves lucky as Cole was named in Nigeria’s squad in August 2008 because of Nigerian parentage but was ineligible as he was too old to switch countries. Maybe Cole's psychic powers shown in the picture below will help convince Capello! -

I've offered a pretty unbiased opinion so far but if I was forced to pick I'd have to go with Crouch or Defoe to partner Rooney, both offer entirely different positives but its tough to pick between them based on current form. But that's enough from me! Which partnership would you trust to take us to glory in South Africa?

LINKS: Comprehensive Stats

CHELSEA61 (Footytube Moderator) 4 years ago
You might want to edit the part where you called Capello a Spaniard mate? He's Italian if you forgot or mis-spelled
Wow thanks for pointing that out, I was doing the Benitez article at the same time

Kick4Life - changing lives through football