Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
England's Best Strike Partnership For South Africa?
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Rooney's a deffo, that's complete but good thread - really, who is going to be with Rooney upfront or will he be a loan striker to create his own chances in the attack. What I think about all the players:

Jermain Defoe: Probably in my opinion the most hopeful. Gets so many goals and got 5 in a match this season already. Fabio doesn't seem to see all that quality in him like we do though, and prefers to start Heskey before him and maybe bring Jermain on as a sub to save the game.

Michael Owen: A certain maybe, but seemed to go out of the picture after his injury at the '06 world cup, and a free transfer deal to United hasn't done him much good because he rarely starts over Berba and Roon. But possible.

Emile Heskey: Emily Heskey. In Fabio's eyes, probably the most certain to partner Shrek for the group games at least. He'll surely go. But the reason I called him Emily is because he doesn't score goals like a striker should do and isn't one of my faves.

Peter Crouch: A hopeful, but has opposition. He is amazingly good with his head due to his massive 6-foot-7 frame, and he can play with his feet aswell, and keeps on improving. Maybe, maybe not.

I think those are my five to make it on the England plane.
But Bent, see Cole and Gabby A. Have all had decent seasons so far. Doubt it though. It's quite easy if you think about it. 23 on the plane, 2 or 3 are keepers, 6 or 7 are defenders, 6 or 7 are midfielders and about 5 are strikers. That means Fab Fab has quite a simple choice
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Bring more mids and deep-backs and less strikers....

Totally agreeing with you on Heskey, stikers are there to be targets and score goals, not to be a forward-playing winger. I like Crouch right now. It may be very useful for Fabio to have that massive frame on the field, especially against the taller backs you may see on the opposition. I think Crouch can do what a striker needs to; he's the biggest target England has, and he's gotten better overall. For me he's the best sub they could bring on. But as for a striker partner for Rooney I can't say weather speed or experience trumps all.
FCBarca9 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
What a question?!  Rooney and cole  What else?
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I am afraid that cole is yet another Heskey
TheTorresBounce (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Yea no thanks to Cole, he needs to prove himself
Matt (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
We need to replicate what works for the best players we have. Simple fact is Rooney is the only quality striker we have who is in blistering form for his club at the moment.

So I would try and maintain that and have him on the sharp end with two attacking wingers pushed up with him in a 4-3-3 in fact I would have Agbonlahor and Walcott not strictly wingers but not a strict winger position. That frontline would scare the crap out of any defence.
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I like this idea Matt, you think Capello would do it though?
I love this idea. But I don't think Capello will change the traditional formation
Matt (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
The problem is a lack of games to try out new formations and untried players. I am 100% sure we will see a traditional 4-4-2 or sleight variation. Which I think is shame
I think it's because you have so many players that are entitled to a spot on the roster in the midfield that this kind of plan doesn't come to fruition. I think there's a few solid choices in the midfield that could also work into the 4-3-3 (4-3-2-1) theory. Capello would have to deny more mids to run this kind of formation, though.... And I'm not sure he'd be for that.

I think a 4-5-1, which is exactly the same as yours basically, would work as well. It just adds more mids as wingers back into the equation, though there's not really a difference. And I feel Capello is a results man before tradition, so he may be thinking up a different formation. The old one hasn't really gelled with everybody yet. Why not?
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I would have to say I think Crouch and Rooney would be the best starting duo. Defoe is better than Crouch, but he is too short, Crouch can win balls in the air. Defoe and Owen to come on as super subs
But Crouch's ONLY strength is his height!He has 0% technique, i'd say!
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Crouch is height is even pretty much a failure, He's 6' 7" and he's a worse header of the ball than defoe (at least when he can get to it )

I say pretty much at this point that Defoe and Heskey have already made the squad. They are also in my opinion our best strikers besides Rooney. Whenever in the past we've had international games notice Heskey and Defoe are always there. The Big Questions are for Crouchie, Bent, Owen and Abonlahor
To answer that question, ManUK, look at what those players are doing. Owen's not a starter, so that leave's 3. Bent's been pretty affective for Sunderland, I think he is in great form. Crouch has started a lot and still cranes tons of balls down and can finish most things.... Agbonlahor is scoring for Villa. From there, I'd say it's Bent and Agbonlahor. Who would you pick to match with Rooney from there?
I would agree with that statement especially since Owen's pretty much out of the equation. Who would I pick from there? Hmm.... That is my biggest dilemma with our current squad. See in my mind our three best strikers are Defoe Heskey and Rooney obviously but I'm tying to think like capello since I've always like Defoe better.

I think Defoe's a better player, But a similar player to Rooney. So maybe Heskey works better with Rooney maybe it doesn't matter maybe we should trust Capello. I dunno
Crouch's only strength isn't his height, his heading ability is good but not great considering his height but he's great on the ground too at holding the ball up especially plus he pops up with important goals. He compliments whoever he plays with which is why I'd have to pick him alongside Rooney. Agbonlahor isn't ready, Bent hasn't put in the performances on the international games and Owen doesn't play enough for United to warrant a place
I Still think Owen is good enough, but at the same time agree that he doesn't start enough for Capello to justify giving him a place on the squad. Crouch's other strengths are first off just plain getting the ball in the net even if it's not very impressive, and holding the ball up. Agreed that Bent hasn't preformed up to standard on the international stage, but Fabio I think could pick him because of his performances this season. As for Gabby I don't know enough about it, I'm not sure whether he should be included
What's the opinion on Walcott? I'm curious if anybody would consider him for the starting 11, or at least the 23
I think I'd bring him to South Africa, but he wouldn't start. Also I have him be a winger, as I think He plays better there and has all the attributes of a winger. Skill, Speed, shooting and he beats people and gets the ball in the middle. Walcott wouldn't cut it up front compared to all the other strikers we have, So I'd have him back up for Cole or Some one
I'd take Agbonlahor ahead of Walcott to be honest, Walcott has the talent no doubt but he doesn't get enough game time and doesn't strike me as a clutch big game player.... Yet!
As I explained above I rate him more as a winger. Yea if We're talking about striking positions I'd take Agbonlahor over Walcott any day. He doesn't seem to ever get enough playing time or experience to ever grow up fully Walcott
I was saying I'd take Agbonlahor even in the wide position ahead of Walcott, there doesn't seem to be space for both...
Would You? I'm not really sure I haven't watched Agbonlahor really as a winger. But He may be good, he's fast, that's a start
Derby22 (Derby County) 4 years ago
Wayne Rooney
One of England's best strikers in history, wearing the number 10 shirt for United. Has great accuracy, speed and great potential. England's main part of the attack, and the hatrick hero for both his club and country. Obviously one of Capello's main choices for the England World cup attack. He also has amazing positioning skills, he always seems to be there in the box when his team-mates need him there. Definitley one of the first choice strikers for the world cup squad. Also always on top form in training and matches.

Michael Owen
Another of Capello's first choice forwards for the world cup squad, but unforunatley the most injury-prone player for england. He has got potential with no doubt, and all his attributes are top. He has a great striking partnership with wayne rooney as well as they both usually play in attack with each other, along with another great united star, Dimitar Berbatov. He has got good speed and positioning, practically with the same skill level as rooney, but a bit lower than him. Probably second choice attacker after Wayne Rooney, and can just tap the ball in when it's stuck open in the box. He's stuck behind Rooney with most of his attributes, but not that far behind. Always ready and on top form for a match, brave, and quite as famous as David Beckham and Wayne Rooney.

Peter Crouch
2-Meter Peter probably has the world record for the highest number of corners scored in a month. He is also the bycicle-kick champ for England, and with those long legs of his he can get around very quickly. He towers over Michael Owen and the rest of his team-mates, and goes for glory anywhere. Crouchy has a superb amount of power on his shots, with great accuracy as well. He has the ability to take risky chances, with amazing passing skills, able to do beautiful long-balls and crosses. He also has a great attacking partnership with Jermain Defoe, a fellow tottemham player. With the great passing abilities he has got, he used it to help them thrash wigan 9-1 by setting up most of Jermain Defoe's amazing goals.

Carlton Cole
Has not quite as much ability as other players, and is not as famous as his fellow strikers in the england squad. I don't think capello has him on his first choice list, and unfortuantley no other England attacker plays for the same team as him. I think his closest Partner on the picth will be Emile Heskey or Gabby Agbonlahor. If Cole did have another England team-mate playing for the same club as he does, he will have a much better chance of improving his abilities on the pitch and rising to same level of Rooney, Owen and Crouch.

Emile Heskey
Done well for Enlgand many times, but is not a first choice attacker for the world cup england squad. He hasn't got much partnership experience as none of his England team-mates play for the same club as him. Does well in his position, but not so many appearances as fellow strikers. Always in a good position, but not much speed. Unlike the other England Strikers, also does not play for a big and strong premiership club like Owen and Rooney play for United, and Crouch and Defoe for Tottenham. But he has been doing well for Aston Villa though, keeping them in the top half of the premier league.

Jermain Defoe
Has experience in a striking partnership with Peter Crouch at Tottenham. A hatrick hero, scoring almost 6 goals against Wigan in the 9-1 thraher. Always on top form and willing to win not just for the money, but also for the fans. He has a great realtionship with the other England strikers, and is definitley a number-one choice for the England world cup squad. Has great abilities with setting up goals, and doesn't always try to go through the defence himself. A wise footballer, will pass when he sees a good one, with good eyesight and accuracy too.

What I'm saying is that the strikers fit for it are Crouch & Defoe, Owen & Rooney

Kick4Life - changing lives through football