Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Banning The Vuvuzela?
Premoli (Werder Bremen) 4 years ago
Of course I love singing and chanting in stadiums but I think it's a little bit arrogant to say vuvuzelas should get banned.
In a stadium everybody should be free to do whatever she or he feels like(as long nobody gets discriminated.)
And if supporters like to play drums, trumpet or the vuvuzela they should do it.
They will recognize if the rest of the stadium doesn't like it I guess.
Worst thing to me is this f*****g popmusic and commercial stuff they play in stadiums all the time.
Only time they don't come up with it is during the 90 minutes.
But I wonder when blatter asks for timeouts to have more commercialbreaks.
Each time supporters try to sing the speakers come up with some trash.
I love this game but I think the fifa is mafia and they give a f about the simple supporter.
There should be a vuvuzela playing fan next to sepp blatters ear 24/7.

CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Hahahaha! Somebody waiting for when he opens his mouth then blow the horn whenever he tries to speak. That would be hilarious!
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
They are way too annoying, and will make our ears bleed.

But, on a second thought, won't the ban be.... Cruel? This is the first time the world cup is hosted at an African nation, and I think messing with their sentiments and culture won't be too nice....
I am starting to get used to it, trust me, you will too.
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
The thing is, the people that would complain about it the most could just as eaily complain about lousy horns and drums in the crown with odd chanting and other songs. And they record that and put that into the TV mix with volume on purpose. The only reason the vuvuzelas are irritating to people is they are monotonous; if they took a break every so often, I don't think we'd care as much.

And as people said, there's no way they will ban them with all the money they are rolling in.

If they want to make people stop using them, convince people to stop buying them
Shuds (Barcelona) 4 years ago
A few interesting vuvuzela pics

Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Classic great work
I've never been to a football game in South Africa. Are the vuvuzela's really part of the culture there or are they just someone's idea to make money at the world cup? I've seen the plastic horns before, they sell them across north america at sporting events but you barely notice them because there are only a few in a crowd of thousands and they aren't being blown constantly
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
There not part of there culture, when the hell did South Africa make plastic trumpets part of there culture lmao, but they have used them for about 10years or so at football games
I only asked because that's the main reason people say they shouldn't be banned
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Sorry lol, I was just saying that to everyone who says it is not you lol
Andy (Rangers) 4 years ago
We had this same discussion last year during the Confederation Cup, for which I wrote a round-up.

I said this back then and my opinion hasn't really changed since then, if anything, it's become hardened.

These football horns have been causing a great deal of controversy and have triggered an intense debate as to whether or not they are welcome at next years World Cup.

They are known as “Vuvuzelas” and have emerged relatively recently in South African domestic league football. The colour of the Vuvuzela determines which league team you support and the majority of South African football fans brought them along to the Confederations Cup. It is simply a long plastic horn which you blow into, to either make noise for the sake of it, or add atmosphere to the stadium, depending on your view. They are sounded incessently throughout the 90+ minutes and many criticise their distracting wasp-like drone accompaining the beautiful game. Following the opening stages of the Cup, FIFA was inundated with complaints requesting for the Vuvuzela’s to be outlawed in the upcoming World Cup.

Is the reaction of the western football world to the Vuvuzela’s justified or is it a product of narrow-minded football “purists” who seek a homogenous world game? I was initially a tad irked by the horns but as the Cup progressed, I came to realise they provide real atmosphere to the game and are the South African counterpart to the English rattle or the energetic samba drum beating in Brazil. International football embraces diversity and casting off an aspect of South African footballing culture because it doesn’t fit our own perception of the game is ignorant in the extreme. Football is played and supported in many different forms all across the world, no opinion as to how the game should be supported is in any way better than another and in this sense ignorance is coupled with arrogance in this debate, a “we know better,” attitude.

The casual football fans telling a country how to support football is really starting to annoy me.... (not this forum obviously, I'm talking about the news etc.)
Its all fine and dandy for the vuvuzela's to buzz away in south africa, they're not going to ban them. But.... If all these sports fans come back from south africa with their horns how would you feel if they brought them to a Rangers game?
Andy (Rangers) 4 years ago
If I hear/see a Vuvuzela at Ibrox, i'll eat the vuvuzela.

The US/Euro reaction to the Vuvuzela has been pretty much widespread condemnation and I seriously doubt they will pick up any popularity and be brought back home
May main issue is that the crowd is often known as the 12th man on the pitch. A crowd chanting positive things for their team, applauding great shots, building up a particular player or generally yelling "come ON!" can be a massive boost to the team. It's common knowledge that the crowd can add a lot to a teams performance.

However with the Vuvuzela (unlike the rattle, samba drum, trombones or whatever else) it utterly drowns out every other noise. Fans don't seem to bother chanting because the incessant drone of those horns just cancels out everything but the commentators voice. This might be perfectly familair to African teams, but to everyone else, its a bit of a strange feeling, no doubt. Likewise as Tony said above, if the manager, captain and keeper can't get instructions to their team over the din, that must play a part.

Who knows. I think that yellow bikini-wearing busty beach babes and samba drums next world cup will come as a huge relief, after the headful of wasps that we encounter every game in this one
How about fighting fire with fire? What about drowning them out with techno music?

Maybe not
That's a great video, cheers for that
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
LOL nice try mate
Tony, here's an Article for you - exactly what you threatened

Link: www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s6i76628...
Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Link: lifehacker.com/5564085/how-to-silence-vuvuzela-hor...

For those of you who simply cannot stand the noise....Refer to this article
RRajeev (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Do not ban them.... Its time for Africa...
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Its africa's culture, I don't see them getting banned, but seriously who gives a damn, if your so annoyed that the vuvuzelas are ruining the game, turn the sound down, and If you don't like that then remember how long have you been anticpating this? Your going to let a little horn ruin it? Your choice
Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Anyone remember watching Nigeria in the Olympics? The incessant trumpet playing the same damn song the entire tournament? You can hear it occasionally, but it's drowned out by the vuvuzelas thank Christ
German club Borussia Dortmund have put a policy in effect banning the vuvuzela's at Westfalenstadion. No Premier League clubs have taken such measures but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

Link: news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8746540...
Hithere (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Here's the problem with Vuvuzelas:  
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Solution:  
Hithere (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Yes, that's what we need. An army of angry Vuvuzela-hating cats. Then somebody has to smuggle them into the stadium. Probelm solved!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football