Forums / World Cup 2010
Order: Newest / Oldest
Banning The Vuvuzela?
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
So far in the first few matches much has been said about the vuvuzelas. The cheap plastic horns that are the overwhelming sound like a swarm of bees at every match. They are hugely popular with the locals who are obviously getting the most bang for their buck. But are seen as a hinderance by many supporters of teams from outside of africa who have come to support their team and sing songs in the crowd. Apparently one vuvuzela makes the same amount of noise as a chainsaw at full throttle. Which makes it very hard to hear any attempt at song by the supporters and communication between the players on the pitch. Do you think its fitting that they be allowed or should the people that run the tournament stop them from being brought to games by banning them altogether?

Link: news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8...
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
They are really annoying, but I wouldnt ban them. It's what the locals like doing and this World Cup is about them. Plus they really are nice people. They can't ban them anyway, what are they gonna' do search eveyrone for them?
It actually wouldn't be hard to implement a ban seeing as every person going to these games go through the the same kind of security as is in airports. I do think it would upset many and so it may be their legacy to be known for theses silly little horns
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
And they are making a fortune selling those horns...
Well when I turn up for England I didn't get searched at all. So I don't no what security you've heard
Really!? No security checkpoints? I watched a news article about the opening game that showed people going through security just like at the airports. Maybe its different in the different venues. Still I would expect some sort of check to make sure no-one carries weapons into the stadiums
I think there be mainly in the city like Cape town and Joburg where the gangs live. I havent come across anything dodgy yet. I'm heading down to cape town on wednesday. So I'm stuck here till then and I'm already bored
I heard the night life there is quiet too. And you are more likely to get mugged than enjoy yourself partying at night. Have you picked up a vuvuzela yet?
Yea I paid for one. They get sold everywhere. There are a few good bars in cape town I hear. I'm probably gonna' hit that, but for the next few nights it just gonna' be me and my latop talking to my girlfriend and abit of footytube lol
Arron (Arsenal) 4 years ago
See, even English fan's are buying them.... Its suppose to be brining millions of dollars to South Africa they won't be banned
There annoying but I brought one for a laugh it lasted me like a day
Charliehenry (ryo miyachi) 4 years ago
I don't understand why they would ban then now everyone their has bought one and the Vuvuzela is nothing new they were using the Vuvuzela before they decided to host the world cup their. Helps for the atmosphere IMO and should be embraced although slightly annoying
For me it is only slightly. Seriously, I wasn't phased by them after watching every match of the Confed. Cup. It's like white noise to me....

I.... I love it.
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Even though it sounds like a swarm of blowflies, it does make a unique atmosphere for the South African World Cup. It's their tradition, so the players should stop being primadonnas and just get on with it!
Argee with you. This World Cup was set in South Africa it should be how they like it
4 years ago
The only awful noise coming out of my tv set that should be banned is Jim Beglin, Mark Lawrenson and Chris Coleman
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Awesome comment, +1 comedy medal for you
Saddavi (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Funny  Lmao
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Definetly need to ban these audible weapons, they have ruined my world cup thus far, its just a din, you can't hear the fans sing that wanna sing, you can't hear the commentary at times, god knows how the players are communicating on the pitch, and from a safety aspect it would be really bad if they had to make a very important public announement, ie; stadium evacuation etc;
I can honestly say between the standard of football not being great is bad enough, but those vuvuzelas have done absolutely nothing for the african world cup, or its fans, and it will be a long time before its back in africa again, unless they can do something about these stupid f**kin horns.... Its like.... The bell's.... The bell's, I'm going nuts.... Lol
BigShel (Philadelphia Union) 4 years ago
Tony I hear what you are saying but how can FIFA ban something that is part of the host country's football culture? They would be disrespecting the whole of South Africa if they take such drastic steps. Yes the noise is distracting to those watching on tv but I can only imagine the atmosphere in the stadiums is still fantastic. The people of SA are so excited to be on the world stage for something positive for a change FIFA should do nothing to dampen their enthusiasm
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Deffo not my cup of tea shel, and they are the right shape for stickin em where the sun don't shine, and I'm afraid anyone with a vuvuzela beside me would be sporting one from their ass.... Lol.
I have never heard anyone complain about the sound of the samba etc;, but this noise is so overpowering, it is and can be a health hazard, ie;, ground communication, no one can hear a thing.
Far be it from me to ruin anyones fun, but those vuvuzelas are ruining the world cup for the rest of the world, and all this should have been talked about before the wc, they knew the impact these weapons had.... Lol
BigShel (Philadelphia Union) 4 years ago
Tony perhaps they should sell them with a foil pack of KY Gel for convienience sake.
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Nah, let South Africa put their flavour and atmosphere into this. I don't think it's up to them to shut up, for the English fans to sing their songs. Argentina had all their paper and rubbish they kept showering the fields with in '78, Brazil have their samba, Mexico their waves and trumpets, Germany their oom-pa, Sweden their cheesy blondes, England have their abusive songs and chants. Let the Africans have their own!
It's not actually part of there culture. But they seem to have a fantastic time blowing them around the street. Fifa have said they will only ban them if they land on the pitch anyway. You think you have it bad. They don't stop blowing them all day and night
Anfieldhero (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I guess if they are a part of their culture, we should just let it be there! After all they are bringing their flavor to their world cup. We could definitely spot some players getting annoyed because of that
Soccergal293 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
LOL My brother found a thing to turn off the vuvuzela by changing the frequency on a samsung tv like ours.... We did it but then the sound went all weird so we just kept the annoying flies continue.... LOL
Shuds (Barcelona) 4 years ago
They are seriously annoying and have to be stopped, I can't hear the commentary at all. Maybe this is the reason why we've actually had a very poor start to the WC this time around. Think about it if we can't stand listening to it on the TV, then what about the player caged in the arena with a few thousand noisy Vuvuzelas. I really don't know if they can be banned now, cause they have sold millions and the people will be agitated if you ask them not to toot their horn.

Stop the Vuvuzelas

Soccergal293 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I don't get why the non south African people understand! I get it if the SA people don't but like there was heaps of other people doing it!
4 years ago
Hahah mate this gif is epic
Hithere (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Check this out. The Vuvuzela tweets: Link: twitter.com/livevuvuzela    Lmao
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
I'm in favour of the Vuvuzelas myself because they add a WC fervour for the locals and I really don't mind them because I'm not sitting beside them and the commentators are louder then they are.

You can't ban them, but just as they don't sound during national anthems they know respect too so its not really that bad. I can manage to watch the sport with or without
Somere (Portmore Utd) 4 years ago
I am a man who think the issue should go in favor of the majority. The locals like it but the rest of the world hate it. The world cup is for everyone to enjoy not just the locals.
Chanting and singing is much better than blowing these annoying horns
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
Who said your the majority, what are you basing that off of?

I think a lot of people are projecting their idea of enjoyment without "annoyance" on to the world cup and letting it ruin the festivities. More so I believe because of the teams they are supporting not doing well. Subconscious frustrations Why does it matter? How does it affect you as a people or your overall watching experience. Every host can do whatever they want with the hosting rights and I believe denying them that right would be against the culture of what football is about. Which it is not about annoyance or inconvenience
Arron (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Guess what, Tesco, Walmart etc and other superstores have invested 2million dollars in to these. There be in your local shops soon

Anyway the World cup in 2014 is in Brazil, are you seriously gonna' cry when the Brazilians start wearing colourful clothes or bang there drums for the whole 90minutes? What about spanish fans being racsit etc at games? Maybe people should concentrate on really matters of football and let the South Africans enjoy this world cup as it's them hosting it. You have a mute button on your tv use it
Golaire (Bayern München) 4 years ago
I heard they are making a new version that is not as loud, they will be available this week. But I do not see how they are going to get everyone to get the new one
Easy; ban the old ones from coming into the stadiums.
CanonsofArsene (Arsenal) 4 years ago
The entire point of blowing them is that they are loud and make a racket and that's all part of the fun.... If they're not as loud, people simply won't buy them!
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Let the South Africans enjoy their football like they have been enjoying it. If teams and players at the South African league can handle it then so can all the players in the world cup too. I can't believe Lionel Messi filed a complaint against the vuvus. Shame on you messi.
P. S. I heard they are making like $12 of profit for each vuvu they sell
Joeymac (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Yeah I heard it only cost $1 to make and $10 to sell
The Cup organizers have decided they are a part of the South African culture and will not ban them. I guess we have to learn to ignore them because they're not going away.

Link: news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8...

Joeymac (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Do not ban them, they have cultural meaning in south africa and create a greater atmosphere, however annoying
Still, i'd prefer singing and chanting
Prejsu (KKS Lech Poznan) 4 years ago
I don't see in what way do they create this great atmosphere you're talking of.... Apart from the fact that they are annoying and such a loud constant noise may be harmful to your ears, it makes it difficult for the players to communicate on the field cause they can't hear s**t and that's a serious problem

Kick4Life - changing lives through football