Forums / World Cup 2014
Order: Newest / Oldest
Should Politics And Football Mix? Russia In Focus.
Sam (Footytube Staff) 9 months ago
By now, most of us are aware of the political upheaval that took place in Ukraine and the subsequent Russian invasion and takeover of Crimea. As a result of those actions, the EU, G8 and other world organizations have imposed sanctions on Russia.

Now these sanctions look to encroach into the footballing arena. Some US senators have proposed and petitioned Sepp Blatter to exclude Russia from Brazil 2014:

“In light of Russia’s military occupation of a sovereign Ukraine, we respectfully ask that you urgently convene an emergency session of FIFA to consider suspending Russia’s membership in FIFA, stripping Russia of the right to host the 2018 World Cup, and denying the Russian National Team the right to participate in the upcoming 2014 World Cup in Brazil, ”

If Russia is banned from participating, it's place would then go to Israel, who finished 3rd in their group in qualification, behind Russia and Portugal.

Now it would be extremely naive to sit here and think that politics has no effect in football- the recent bids by Russia and Qatar were rife with political maneuvering and corruption on many levels.

I personally don't feel that FIFA should honor these requests- taking sides in any political matter outside the realm of football does not bode well for the future. It's easier for bigger countries with more political clout to oppress the smaller nations, who don't have as big a voice on the global stage. Political neutrality in this matter must be the rule of the day.

Agree? Disagree? Not bothered? All are welcome
Gunner3 (Arsenal) 6 months ago
I think that is extremely ridiculous for the US to ask that. It has nothing to do with football at all. It's just another way for the US to try and stifle Russia. If they really cared about those concerns they would also ask Israel who are occupying Palestine to be removed but they are not and that shows that this isn't about that. Just a power move by the states. I'm American and even I think that's ridiculous.

If Russia was somehow trying to stop a certain country (maybe Ukraine) from participating in the cup or something that has to do with football then and only then should they be kicked out. Politics should never get twisted with football because it would become messy. The reason people love the sport too is to get away from that stuff.

People going to Russia for the World Cup don't want to go there to "support the government" but to see the culture, people & lifestyle. Not all Russians like other countries are just like their governments

Kick4Life - changing lives through football