Forums / Wales
Order: Newest / Oldest
England V Wales, Sep 6
Colmutd (Manchester United) 3 years ago
England had a poor second half, Wales dominated possession and unlucky not to get the goal. England will qualify no problem and I expect a better showing in the championships this time around
RedNev10 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Same old England. This result didn't surprise me at all.

Wales midfield made Barry and Lampard look average.... Or maybe they are just average. Once Wales began to dominate possession in the second half, England almost collapsed and threw away the result.

Capello just seems to make the same mistakes in his selections. Its time for an English manager again
JankHooker (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Barry needs to not wear the gerrard shirt. 4 is for him.  Ashley Young can wear #9 all he wants  
DeathTheKIDD (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Very average england team.... The names are scary but that won't win them the euro.... I guess even capello can't get them to jel.... Most impressive players for me are ashley young and hart.... Rooney is on and off
Champi0n (Manchester City) 3 years ago
Which do you agree with?

A) I think Frank Lampard should now retire....

Be) Gareth Barry is playing amazing football.... His criticism was the lack of pace and his inability of dribbling past defenders and striking from long range, but that completely changed.... He's now showing great promise in going forward and causing problems for the opposing team, and as always doing a great job cleaning up at the back!

See) England International team need more all-in-all straight forward finishers, basically a center forward! Rooney tends to go back behind the defence and try to dribble his way through to the goal
A and see    Barry is meh
Zolamagic (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Barry is average at best. He has no vision, passes sideways, can't tackle and commits needless fouls. What anyone sees in him is beyond me. It's easy to look good playing for Man City but he doesn't even achieve that.

Barry has started the season reasonably well and he got on the score sheet the other week but it's 3 games into the season - not much to go by. Besides, he was anonymous last night
Acphenom (Borussia Dortmund) 3 years ago
A) Yes - he's like Scholes last season - no legs.

Be) He was our best midfielder in the game by a long shot, but that's not saying much. I'd be happy to see him paired with a real attacking midfielder though in future, like Wilshere or Cleverley

See) I disagree - the lack of a link between midfield and attack led to Rooney to come deep to try and fill that void. Bad tactics by Capello
Morar95 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I think England just need to scrap the whole team and restart everything, as in no one has a status for the national team and start making a team from there.

Personally, I feel it's time for Lampard, Terry and some other players to go. The reason I mention Terry is because I feel he doesn't click in the team, still a good player and I wouldn't mind him playing for England, but sometimes he just doesn't float my boat.

Where Capello has gone wrong is that he chooses a team based just on form, not form and quality as well chemistry. You have to remember form is helped by the players around you, one persons form for their club could be because of the players they play with, it's no good having a player play without the type of players they play with.

Furthermore, I feel English players play with their club in their conscience; "Oh he's in Man City, I don't like him so I won't pass to him" sort of attitude. When you look at Spain, they put their Barca and Real Madrid differences aside and just play football.

Personally, I feel that England should just put young players in mixed with good experience, like Gerrard and dare I say it - Beckham?

Although Beckham has lost all his verb, he still has a strong relationship with English fans and we all know that Beckham played virtually by himself when playing for England sometimes, like when we played Greece to qualify for 2002 World Cup.

But mostly, we need players who want to play for England rather than for fame and fortune.

I see something like Hart, Ashley Young/Baines, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Johnson/Richards, Young, Cleverly, Parker/Gerrard, Johnson/Beckham (screw Wallcott), Rooney and Bent (Bent sort of plays like Hernandez and could benefit the squad).

Fair enough, this is mostly a United/City squad but as you can see we have a team that strings chemistry as well pace, movement and perhaps intelligence?

Feel free to add other players to the squad
Ashley Cole* my bad :S
Way to bias....

I agree Jones should be included as he looks by far the best defensive prospect that England have. But Smalling looked clueless last night and that's considering he had nothing to do, with Bale strangely playing down the right. Cleverley has potential but surely there's Wilshere, Rodwell, Henderson and even McEachran looking like better prospects.

As for Beckham? You need to see a doctor....
Ahh, I did say mention that it was a little United/City biased, wasn't supposed to be. It was more about chemistry and creating a good team.

And I agree with your Wilshere, Rodwell, and the other players mentioned.

As for Beckham, fair enough but I was simply just stating a player who has good experience playing for England, which a lot of English players don't.

You got to remember, Smalling isn't a rightback player, he's just been filling in for the injured players at United and was put there because Capello wanted him to.

The point was, and hopefully you did understand besides my biased comment (which wasn't suppose to be just more of an example), that England do need to just start from scratch.

Furthermore, I would like to point out that clubs in England need more English players rather than foreign players, club football shouldn't dictate international football
[account-removed] 3 years ago
Well played ashley young!
Phorce16 (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Not a great performance from England but showing signs of improvement. Young is playing well, good move for the goal.

Still not massively convinced by them though, with the squad's quality they should be playing better
Lampard barely put a foot wrong and he got involved which is more than can be said for most of the players. His shot that flew over was unfortunate and it didn't help the fact that Barry almost passed it behind him and he couldn't get the ball out from under his feet quick enough, with 3 players closing him down.

Once Lampard was taken off the midfield fell apart and Parker did nothing of note. If anything Wales took control of the game after his substitution. England should have lost with the chances Wales created at the end.

It's shocking how poor people's understanding of the game is. I doubt most people commenting on here even watched the game but just the highlights
RedNev10 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I doubt you watched the game.

Lampard was England's worst player, one of the reasons why we were outplayed in midfield. As soon as Parker came on, he played one of the best passes in the whole game and our midfield looked way more secure. Problem was that the substitution came too late.

Lampard's not a poor player but he doesn't fit into this England team at the moment.

Haha! Of all the comments critical of England's performance it's the first time I've heard that one.

Parker may have played a nice pass but defensively the midfield fell apart and Wales dominated in the closing stages. To say the midfield looked more secure is laughable.

Even though Lampard didn't see enough of the ball, he created some chances and got into some good positions. He didn't make any mistakes and was unfortunate not to score.

This is more than can be said for others. There was no threat through the middle as Rooney was constantly out of position and dropping deep to receive the ball. Then there were the long balls up to Young and Rooney, who had no chance. Perhaps bringing on Carrol sooner would have served more purpose, with his aerial threat.

Lampard has set himself high standards and people expect alot from him. Perhaps if he had the same chance in a months time he would bury it but he didn't play badly
Yashioman (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Zolamagic, you're drunk. Lampard was crap enough if he failed to simply tap in that Barry bass
Masam12 (Chelsea) 3 years ago
What a miss!
CFLNHLFIFAFAN (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Well England got there goal, I guessing they didn't play the greatest, but I really feel sorry for the Wales guy who missed, its really too bad for him and his team and fans
Reddevil278 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Ashley young and stewart downing, what great players. Criminally underrated imho
That will disappear because they on big clubs now  
Yashioman (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I can't believe that sperm whale missed
With all the English stars, you would think someone could get a great team together who could compete with the likes of all the other top nations (Spain, Brazil, etc.)
Capello seems to be doing ok, but ok isn't good enough. The young English talent is strong and has a future. Players who can play with anyone on their side are great ones indeed.
Once the veterans realize their spots are in jeopardy is when ENG can truly become great.

[account-removed] 3 years ago
Edit: Spam

Kick4Life - changing lives through football