Forums / United States
Order: Newest / Oldest
How Much Have We Improved In The Last 12 Years?
Mauijim (Manchester United) 4 years ago
It's been 13 years now that the MLS has been underway. (96 if I remember correctly)
Mnt has qualified for the World Cup since 90.
So how much have we actually improved?
I don't feel we are any more competitive by world standards than 12 years ago.
Ant thoughts?
MazzaMathias (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I mean we did very well in the confederations cup, but our league s trash comparatively. We are far too physical and our tactics are horrendous. Most of our nation's best players are abroad, and it shows. It seems that we don't have the youth development either. We have gone a far way, but there is still a lot to do
Yeah, more players are in Europe but I think we need more influence from the top down. "Its hard to fly with eagles when your running with turkeys. " That's a bit harsh but the European experience is something the surrounding players need to play up to, not the other way around, meaning the players are playing down to a lower (MLS) level.

I would love to see some real international experience come in at the coaching level, but the fact of the matter is, it isn't gonna' happen. Not enough time before WC to familiarize with new players and bring in any kind of stability.

Additionally, the MLS season has a whacked time-line. It feels like we're stuck on the 5th grade playground and all the girls are in high school
Joeymac (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I think we need to expand the mls first. Once we get enough teams, we should add relegation and put a bigger emphasis on winning the league. Then, if we start showing you against other clubs, maybe we can get some world class players. World wide, we need to get consistency. I'm kinda tired drawing to costa rica and losing to honduras at home. I know that's our b-team, but come on. Itd be nice to see the b-team show some more passion, as well as the national team. We need to stay hot all the time, and we can't go on cold runs. We need to have no trouble qualifying in concacaf. I also think it would help to get a solid home stadium, but too much area in the us I guess.
Just my two cents
Agreed. Our depth is dodgy at best. With our population base it is just inexcusable
Also, we should make it a goal to win our world cup group
And do so handily, with conviction. No more of this trying things out bs
Candyman88 (Chicago Fire) 4 years ago
We can win the group (and go farther) if they play like they did in the confed. Cup and finish most of their chances on goal. A hefty favor to ask but w/ the skill up front they should be able to do it. But just a comment about an article that I read a little while ago, the author said that it was time to treat Donovan like how mexico treats Blanco. Mexico's team has allowed Blanco to control the pace and overall look of mexico's game and it has had much success. He's old and kinda slow but he has the smarts and technique that surpass many, but landon has those abilities too. And if we do this w/ landon we don't lose any speed or anything. We need to let him control, at least, the pace of how the game is played and rely on him to tell our boys how to react to the given situation. I think that if the USA has a successful Cup this year we will be able to look back and see that most of the success was due to landon's own success. Hopefully this makes sense to everyone...
Yeah I agree we should go with landos pace. In the confed cup, he made a lot of good runs into the attack. We also need dempsey to come up big b/c he was great last summer. If he and donovon can control the game, and bradley can anchor down the midfiels, I think well have a successfull WC. But, dempsey is hurt

Kick4Life - changing lives through football